Level 1: Cadet

Cannot enable call waiting

Recently ported from Optus to Telstra and now have an issue with call waiting which nobody seems able to resolve. When I try to activate call waiting I get an error message saying "Something went wrong. Check your sim card or network connection and try again". Happens when I dial *43# and also if I try to access through call settings menu. Call waiting option in the menu is greyed out and not accessible.

Spent almost 2 hours on the phone with telstra technical support who said that everything is ok on their end and that I would have to contact Samsung as it is a phone issue. I contacted samsung who told me to go back to telstra as it is a network issue.

Please help, I am at my wits end with this.

Phone is a Galaxy S7 SM-G930F. Call waiting was working fine when I was with optus.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Cannot enable call waiting

It's a porting issue or a tick is missing from high level  Telstra default network settings.

To absolutely eliminate your phone insert your sim into another phone.

I would also remove and reinsert your sim with the phone off.

Possibly a sim replacement might reset your high level settings in the network.

There is a miniscule chance the Optus customized specific software could be an issue... but checking with another genuine Telstra handset will eliminate that.

More or most likely a Telstra setting where a tick is missing. Tech support level 1 cannot see all the upper level settings and it needs to be elevated to level 2 or 3.

These sort of problems are relatively common after porting. Unless you can get a level 1 agent to elevate it and give you a reference number, you may have no alternative than to  raise a complaint.

This will be a process of elimination.  Regards P.P.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Thanks for the reply ProfessorPhone. From memory I was elevated to a level 2 tech but even they couldn't help.

I will try swapping sim cards and phones like you said and will report my findings.

Level 23: Superhero

I'd recommend that you ask for an interaction number,  starting with INTxxxxxxxxx  for any future communications with technical support, so you can build up a good case for any future action to resolve what is potentially a tick missing from a box.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

So just an update on this.

Went to the Samsung store and explained the issue. They swapped out my sim with a Vodafone sim and were able to activate call waiting on my phone without an issue. Similarly, there was no issue activating call waiting when they put my sim into another phone.

So I headed to the Telstra store where I sat down with a rep who spent about an hour going through every possible setting in their system to no avail.  Tried replacing the sim with a new one, still no good. Despite his best efforts he was unable to come to a solution.

It apperars that there is a bug in the S7 that won't allow it to recognise telstra call waiting that nobody knows how to fix

As I can't afford to spend anymore time or energy on this I ended up going and buying an S10 outright, problem solved.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit