Baf19
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting Mobile Phone to Modem

Answered

Hi I'm been pulling my hair out. Just had a new install for nbn via fttn with telstra smart modem gen 2 . Whilst awaiting tec appointment I connected my mobile phone (Samsung) & pc to the internet as directed by telstra via modem using modems mobile backup feature and wifi, all worked well. Tec arrives and connect modem to nbn. Now internet works via wifi on pc but mobile phone connects to modem but with message no internet connection. If modem goes into mobile bachup mode mobile connect with internet. I've reset modem, forgot networks, changed smart switching and tried to connect another phone never connected before. Pls help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting Mobile Phone to Modem

Try changing both IPv4 and IPv6 in the modem and then disconnect and reconnect phone to WiFi. There is a drop down list of DNS services in modem at Advanced > Local Network. Suggest you try google.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Accepted Solution

Try changing both IPv4 and IPv6 in the modem and then disconnect and reconnect phone to WiFi. There is a drop down list of DNS services in modem at Advanced > Local Network. Suggest you try google.

View solution in original post

Baf19

That seems to fix the problem. I don’t understand why though.  Thanks

cf4

My theory is that Telstra Broadband protect is blocking the site your phone uses to check internet access. Changing the DNS bypasses Telstra broadband protect.

Baf19

Thanks for the help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit