Bizzness
Level 2: Rookie

eSim no 5g

Answered

Okay, so i have a samsung s20 ultra which i recently upgraded to an esim and removed the physical sim and now i have no 5g Capabilities, i have restarted my phone, i have been into the connection settings to change it over to the 5g,4g,3g,2g and it simply does not change, it automatically reverts back to 4g,3g,2g. No matter what i do, the 5g option simply wont turn on. Can you please check my account and check that the new "esim" has the 5g network enabled on it from your end. Because at the moment im rather dissappointed that my 2k phone with an esim is unable to have 5g. Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bizzness
Accepted Solution

Re: eSim no 5g

Okay, so i've found my old deactivated sim that i had swapped over, i've inserted it into the phone and its un-useable, but i could still switch the network from 5g,4g,3g,2g over to 4g,3g,2g, which then allowed me to swap the esim to 5g, 4g, 3g, 2g and didn't automatically revert back, so that's a plus, i'm now about to remove the sim card to see if the esim stays set to the 5g,4g,3g,2g service or if it reverts back to 4g,3g,2g. So after removing the sim card the esim has stayed on the 5g,4g,3g,2g network, i have powered off the device and back on to make sure settings stay the same, and they have! So conclusion is, that if you have a physical sim and want to swap to an esim, make sure you turn the network from 5g,4g,3g,2g back to the 4g,3g,2g before you take the sim out other wise the phone must lock its self to the sim that isn't there unless you manually remove it.

Hope this makes sense as i'm not great with words!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Nobody here has access to Account information.

All Post Paid plans have access to the 5G network until the 30th June 2020 and after that, the small and medium plans lose access (unless you pay the extra for it). The SIMs themselves don't discriminate on network type.

Did you enable 5G on the eSIM through the phone settings (only 1 SIM can be 5G enabled)?

1. Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks
  2. Check ‘Network mode SIM 1’, and tap on the access technology setting to ensure ‘4G/3G/2G (auto connect)’ is selected.
  3. Check ‘Network mode eSIM 1’, and tap on the access technology setting to ensure ‘5G/4G/3G/2G (auto connect)’ is selected.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Bizzness

I don't have 2 Sims in my phone. I only have the esim. And it isn't letting me select 5g,4g,3g,2g it lets me select it then automatically reverts back to 4g,3g,2g. Do you think if I put another Sim in my phone then try it it may work? 

Jupiter

It shouldn't require another SIM in it, but if you have one handy it wouldn't hurt to try.

Let us know how you go with it. It would definitely be handy to know.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Bizzness

ill put my partners sim in later as i dont have one and then ill get back to you with the results! Cheers

Bizzness
Accepted Solution

Okay, so i've found my old deactivated sim that i had swapped over, i've inserted it into the phone and its un-useable, but i could still switch the network from 5g,4g,3g,2g over to 4g,3g,2g, which then allowed me to swap the esim to 5g, 4g, 3g, 2g and didn't automatically revert back, so that's a plus, i'm now about to remove the sim card to see if the esim stays set to the 5g,4g,3g,2g service or if it reverts back to 4g,3g,2g. So after removing the sim card the esim has stayed on the 5g,4g,3g,2g network, i have powered off the device and back on to make sure settings stay the same, and they have! So conclusion is, that if you have a physical sim and want to swap to an esim, make sure you turn the network from 5g,4g,3g,2g back to the 4g,3g,2g before you take the sim out other wise the phone must lock its self to the sim that isn't there unless you manually remove it.

Hope this makes sense as i'm not great with words!

View solution in original post

Jupiter

Good to hear that you've got it working.

Crazy that it needed a physical SIM in it before it would hold the settings.

Bizzness

I'm not sure it needed the physical sim to hold the settings, i reckon it was because i originally had a physical sim in it and after removing it and setting it to esim for some reason it still held the settings of the original sim that had been put in the phone at first start up. I would assume that if i started with an esim it would of been fine, but if i then swapped to a physical sim and removed the esim from the device i would of had the same issue, accept it would be a lot more of a hassle to re-install an esim to remove the 5g service from it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit