Rusty101
Level 2: Rookie

Galaxy S5 hotspot connects to tablet however internet not available on tablet

I have a Galaxy S5 mobile phone. The APN and MMS  settings were automatically set when I installed Telstra Pre-Paid. The problems is the phone's hotspot only half works with my tablet. The tablet will connect to the hotspot, however there is no internet access.

Now the tablet will operate perfectly when connected to my Telstra home WIFI and also when connected to my Telstra mobile broadband modem.

I have spent many hours googling this problem without success. It seems to be a common problem where there is no common solution

The security is set as WPA2 PSK.

A solution to this problem would be much appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Galaxy S5 hotspot connects to tablet however internet not available on tablet

@Rusty101

Can I ask what troubleshooting you've already completed?

Are you able to change the encryption to WPA/WPA2 to see if that helps?

You could also attempt to rule out an encryption issue by disabling this entirely for testing purposes.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rusty101

Re: Galaxy S5 hotspot connects to tablet however internet not available on tablet

Thanks Matt for your reply,

I only have two options for security - OPEN and WPA2 PSK. I tried OPEN however the problem still exists as with WPA2 PSK. I have not tried any troubleshooting as I am not aware of any troubleshooting procedures I can use.

John

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Rusty101

Can I ask for the specifics about the devices you're using?

Samsung Galaxy S5 -

What is the software version?
Are other devices able to connect to and use the Hotspot provided by this phone?

The Tablet - 
Which device is this?

What software version?
The networks it can connect to - Are the security settings different from WPA2?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Rusty101

Apologies for delay in replying - working long hours.

Samsung Galaxy S5

Android - 6.0.1

Able to connect with hotspot and have internet access on my two laptops plus other peoples Samsung tablets.

Security software version

MDF v1.1 Release 6

VPN v1.4 Release 6.1

ASKS v1.2_161011

Baun Tablet - AMID-9743G - WIFI only

Android 4.1.2

Using inSSIDer app on my tablet to show security settings:

Home WIFI - WPA2 + WPS

Telatra Broadband Modem - WPA2 + WPS

Galaxy S5 hotspot - WPA2 although the actual phone setting shows WPA2 PSK

If the tablet didn't work on my home WIFI and mobile broadband modem, I would acknowledge that it was a tablet problem. However as I use this tablet a lot and it works fine on two networks, I am loath to replace it unless I really have to. I would be forever grateful if the problem was sorted out.

Thanks for your help,

John

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for that, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I've not been able to replicate the issue using a Samsung Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy Tab running Android 4.1 (I don't have a Bauhn Tablet available to me for testing) I'm very quickly running out of ideas.

- Matt

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit