OL_Mate
Level 3: Gumshoe

Mobile Hotspot 'connected, internet may not be available'

Answered

Hello all,

I've never had this issue until I updated to my current phone (Galaxy S10) late last year.

From day 1 I've been unable to get my hotspot to work, it connects to basically every other device, but with the disclaimer that 'internet may not be available', or 'no internet'.

I've reset my APN numerous times, ensured everything is up to date, have reconfigured the hotspot, factory reset the handset, and tried pretty much everything else I can find on the net to no avail. I've tried to connect it to my work phone, kids phone, PC, tablet, and laptop - all of which connect fine but have no internet. 

I can use my phone as an access point for my home NBN, but whats the point of that if all my other devices can connect straight to that. Everything else on the phone works fine (mobile data included).

Someone please tell me where I'm going wrong...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OL_Mate
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile Hotspot 'connected, internet may not be available'

Just an update, I managed to solve my issue, although I'm not really sure what or how it happened.

I run Nova Launcher Prime, and obviously a whole bunch of apps that didn't come with the phone. To be sure it wasn't something I added I restarted it in Safe mode just to see if it would work. Turned on mobile hotspot in safe mode and it told me I needed to turn off Airplane mode...

Well, sh!t... obviously I've checked this 99 times already but I do it again in safe mode and sure enough it was on - I don't know if it can be on in safe mode or in Samsung launcher, but showing as off in Nova. At any rate I've tested a heap of times to be sure, but it's definitely resolved my problem, and is working now. For future reference anyone having hotspot issues, open it in safe mode first and check it works. Don't be a dope like me...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Check if APN protocol is set to IPv4/IPv6

OL_Mate

IPv4

cf4

Try changing to IPv4/IPv6. 

OL_Mate

Everything in the existing telstra.wap APN (which it auto defaults to) is locked.

I can edit the telstra.internet APN but when I select it, it jumps back to telstra.wap

I created a new APN, copied the settings from the default APN but selected IPv4/IPv6 but still having the same issue?

Jupiter

On the devices, have you made sure that the connection settings for the hotspot connection are set to automatic? If you have manually set them for your NBN connection, then these may have carried over.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OL_Mate

Yep, set to automatic

Jupiter

Odd. Hotspot should work with the standard Telstra.WAP settings (which is IPv4 only), as I use it on my Note 10+5G.

Try going in to Settings->Connections->Data Usage and make sure that Data Saver is switched off.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
OL_Mate

Just checked, Data saver is switched off.

I have also tried the share via bluetooth tethering but that's not working either.

OL_Mate
Accepted Solution

Just an update, I managed to solve my issue, although I'm not really sure what or how it happened.

I run Nova Launcher Prime, and obviously a whole bunch of apps that didn't come with the phone. To be sure it wasn't something I added I restarted it in Safe mode just to see if it would work. Turned on mobile hotspot in safe mode and it told me I needed to turn off Airplane mode...

Well, sh!t... obviously I've checked this 99 times already but I do it again in safe mode and sure enough it was on - I don't know if it can be on in safe mode or in Samsung launcher, but showing as off in Nova. At any rate I've tested a heap of times to be sure, but it's definitely resolved my problem, and is working now. For future reference anyone having hotspot issues, open it in safe mode first and check it works. Don't be a dope like me...

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit