horhor
Level 2: Rookie

Mobile phone trade-in with Kingfisher - lack of communications

Answered

Has anyone done a trade-in recently? I find the lack of communications and the whole process disappointing and the documentation provided on the website inconsistent depending on which part you are reading.

So before 30 June 2021, I bought a new Samsung S21 Ultra on Telstra  and signed up for a new plan as I wanted to take advantage of the $500 bonus trade-in credit, as well as the value of my old phone which was a Note8 with a trade-in value of $100. Went through the trade-in assessment tool on the Kingfisher link provided on the Telstra website. Got a confirmation number and the screen saying I would get an email shortly and that I would receive a return satchel in the post. No SMS, no email, no return satchel, nothing.

Here's where the inconsistency starts. Part of the FAQs on the trade-in actually says you could be getting an Australia Post return code. But I didn't get that either.

After the phone was promptly delivered, I went onto Telstra chat to confirm the process with the agent telling me to wait a few days. Then after the chat ended, an email from Telstra Device Care magically appeared with an Australia Post return code. The email contained my device name and IMEI, so I thought all would be fine.

Took the old phone to Australia Post and sent it off.

According to the trade-in instructions, I was supposed to get another confirmation email and SMS. Again nothing. Australia Post tracking says the package was delivered on 2 July 2021. Now it's been more than 10 business days now. 

So jumped onto chat again. The agent confirmed the package was delivered and the agent would follow up with Device Care team for me. 

I just don't have any confidence at all with this trade-in process. What's worse is that there's no direct contact details at all for Kingfisher.

I do wonder if the old phone has actually gone to the right place. Australia Post tracking says it went to Prestons NSW, which is the location of a warehouse belonging to Brightstar, which I believe is/was one of Telstra's partners.

If anyone from the team looking after trade-ins is reading this, there are many people here in this forum who are receiving zilch communications on this process. I am just hoping this doesn't end up at the TIO and have to chase up the $600 phone credit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Mobile phone trade-in with Kingfisher - lack of communications

You can leave feedback for Telstra regarding your point.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Dowser

It appears that you have received the Samsung S21 Ultra so the worst case scenario would be that you could have issues receiving the $100 credit.

The current Trade in Offer is for an iPhone 12, and it states:

Receive your credit

If your device is accepted for trade-in, we'll apply your credit to your bill within two billing cycles, or onto your bank account or credit or debit card for your AutoPay arrangement with us within 30 days, if you’re on one of our upfront mobile or data plans. (Emphasis added)

So it appears that at this date your concern about receiving your credit could be premature (assuming that your Trade in was subject to similar conditions).

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It may also be delayed due to the COVID lockdown in Sydney.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
horhor
Level 2: Rookie

Yes the terms were similar prior 30 June 2021. 

My concern is a little premature, but that doesn't detract from the lack of communications coming from Kingfisher.

Dowser
Accepted Solution

You can leave feedback for Telstra regarding your point.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit