Level 1: Cadet

My Samsung S7 bought through Telstra is network locked and every Telstra employee says it's not

Answered
Anyone out there had success in Telstra network unlocking their Samsung S7 after they repeatedly tell you is is not network locked.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: My Samsung S7 bought through Telstra is network locked and every Telstra employee says it's not

Appreciate your patience in this. How long ago did he say it had been escalated? Did he supply an 'SR' reference number at all?

I'd like to know this is being appropriately addressed. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: My Samsung S7 bought through Telstra is network locked and every Telstra employee says it's not

Hey Clevo400, welcome to CrowdSupport.

That sounds really odd, generally speaking the only devices that get network locked are the ones sold as an attachment to a pre-paid service. The reason they are locked is they are often sold under cost, and the unlocking fee helps recoup some of that loss. To the best of my knowledge, the S7 was never sold as a pre-paid handset.

I have seen situations where replacement devices provided under the Stay Connected Plus device protection product ARE network locked. This disconnect might be why you've had such problems, anyone who hasn't seen this situation first hand is unlikely to know about it.

If the handset you're referring to was provided as a replacement under Stay Connected, they are probably going to be the best team to contact to resolve this. Call 13 22 00 and say "Stay Connected" at the prompt.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Thanks mate. Rang Stay Connected and said not locked. Spoke to a technician who said it was still under 2 year warranty and therefore was locked and needed to charge me $25 to unlock it. I asked him to read the Telstra website where it says it's not locked and to unlock it for free and he said he would escalate it. It's been escalated higher that many times I think God will be next. Telstra fail !!!
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Appreciate your patience in this. How long ago did he say it had been escalated? Did he supply an 'SR' reference number at all?

I'd like to know this is being appropriately addressed. - Matthew.

View solution in original post

Hi Matthew, everytime I have rung "unlocked" or "technical" they all say they will emailed a SR no. The only person who has was Jade at "Complaints". It is SR1-1722532799583. I am led to believe I have to wait until the warranty to end on 14/03/2019 before it is unlocked for free. In saying that if it doesn't work I have no recourse and I bet you they say talk to Samsung as your phone is faulty. Even Samsung say it is locked as Telstra load their OS version after they leave their factory and they have no control of any new unlock codes. At least Optus and Vodafone have an unlock feature on the web which is fast, easy and transparent unlike this fiasco Telstra and Vita Group offer.

Hi Matthew, I now have proof that the phone is locked to Telstra. It seems Telstra have hidden the Unlock Network Screen but have been told how to get access to it if the phone is in fact locked it will ask for the Code. Can you now sort this out.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for providing that information @clevo400 

If you have discussed this matter with our mobile faults team and had a closed complaint case there may not be a resolution available from within Telstra to assist.

Have you been able to reach out to Samsung to see if they can offer a solution? Which network SIM are you having issues with?

I look forward to your response.

- Jimmy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit