Mikael_Urkko
Level 2: Rookie

Prepaid unlocking

5 weeks ago, i went into the telstra store at west lakes, adelaide.

i asked about getting my prepaid phone unlocked, they said it would take a few days.

the day after, i got a text from the store telling me it would take 7-10 business days.

i went back there 14 days later and they told me a lot of people have been trying to switch to another telco lately, and that its taking longer than usual to get phones unlocked.

so i went in there again a week later (21 days after i first went in) and they said basically the same thing

its now been 5 weeks (35 days)

as you can see ive tried to go into the store, ive tried to call 13 22 00 and basically been told by the bot to use the telstra app chat thing, and that hasnt helped me at all either.

so can anyone please suggest something that i could do?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Prepaid unlocking

The stores don't/can't usually assist with getting mobiles unlocked as it is a specific team that looks after that.

But yes, there have been some delays.

Try calling 1258880 or

Send a message by either:

• the My Telstra app on your mobile
  • logging into your account via the telstra.com.au website

and then go to the Get Help tab and click on the blue icon at the bottom of the screen (labelled Message Us on the website, icon only on app). If the bot doesn't understand the query, type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat with a human. It can take a few hours to get an initial response. If you use the app, you will get a notification on your mobile when someone responds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mikael_Urkko

so i called 12 22 00 and avoided the bot by saying i was having technical issues instead and got hold of a human.

and according to her, there is no record of the store i went to sending anything with my name or IMEI number attached to the unlocking team.

so either:

there were technical difficulties the three times i went there 

telstra is waiting as long as possible to squeeze as much money out of me as they can

or they need to find some new employees that dont all stand around the same monitor trying to look busy for 2 hours while you wait

Jupiter

It doesn't surprise me in the least that there is no record of the request from the store. Stores should just tell you to contact the unlocking team via customer support.

And those employees don't work for Telstra. West Lakes is a Licensee operated store.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mikael_Urkko

i have no idea why they told me they had done this then.

or why they pretended to be doing what i thought was their job the three times i went in there.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit