Hkc2020
Level 4: Private Eye

RCS messaging on S20 ultra

Answered

Hi there, 

I got my S20 ultra today. It's all set up and everything is working perfectly. How ever my "chat" features or RCS messaging option is no longer on available. Which was working perfectly when I had my S10±. 

How do I get it working? I don't use Google messages. I use the native Samsung messaging app.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sancho123456
Level 2: Rookie
Accepted Solution

Re: RCS messaging on S20 ultra

I also have an S20 ultra I purchased from Samsung directly, I also have the same issue with RCS not working. 

Raised a complaint to Telstra in the hope this would be investigated/ escalated, unfortunately no luck. Someone called me who had no idea, I don't even think she knew what RCS is. She flat out blamed my phone and told me it was faulty. She said Telstra doesn't lock people out from using these services if they didn't purchase their phone directly from Telstra. Funnily enough, I have a work colleague who recently switched to Telstra. He purchased his Note 10 plus from Samsung directly and his RCS was also not working. He followed the steps to change the Service Provider SW version to 'TEL' and RCS started working. 

I want to do the same, but having just purchased a phone that is 2k in price I'm hesitant as I'm sure this would void warranty. Anyone have any experience or info in this area?

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
57 REPLIES 57
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It should use RCS by default.

Did you get the phone from Telstra or another source?

In the Service Provider SW version, does it say TEL/TEL/TEL?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Hkc2020

Hi, 

I bought it directly from Samsung. 

Where or how do in check the service provider information?

Kirst87

I'm also having this problem on the S20 and I'm with telstra.

Jupiter

Go to Settings->About Phone->Software Information then scroll down.

If you bought it from Samsung, it probably says XSA instead of TEL.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Bugg0
Level 1: Cadet

I've got the same issue with my unbranded s20 Ultra. No option to turn on RCS.

My S8+ was the unbranded model and RCS worked fine.

Jupiter

The firmware is different on newer Samsung phones and the way carrier settings is handled is different.

Hkc2020

So do we need to wait for Telstra to fix this? 

My S10+ was bought out right from Samsung last year as well and RCS worked fine on it. 

Should I take it to the Telstra store do you think or is it something I can do to fix the issue?

BennS

Just adding another vote with the same problem... S20+ bought direct from Samsung, RCS in Google messages never connects chat features, worked fine in my Pixel2XL that I came from

Jupiter

Have a read of the following post. It contains the only solution that we know of that works.

Telstra cannot fix the issue as they don't have access to change the carrier setting in the Samsung firmware.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Samsung/RCS-and-Note-10/m-p/841107#M6969

Hkc2020

I'm slightly confused. I bought my s10+ from Samsung and RCS worked fine until I upgraded. My partner has a note 10 and RCS works fine on it and so I don't understand why it's not supported on the ultra? I never used Google messages. It worked fine on my Samsung message app. 

timd2234

same problem here also. Purchased direct from Samsung. My old s9 was purchased from Samsung and worked fine

Hkc2020

I'm very confused as to why Telstra can't fix this issue. I get that  the phone isn't purchased through them but I am contracted to them and paying them to use their service which they do provide RCS messaging to other galaxy devices. My S10+ was purchased directly from Samsung and there was no issue with using RCS. I don't understand why that is the case with S20ultra? 

Jupiter

As I said before,  Samsung changed the way that the carrier settings are handled (Started with the Note 10 series). Telstra can't fix that.

Also,  Telstra do state that RCS works with Samsung Galaxy Devices that are purchased through Telstra.

Hkc2020

It makes absolutely no sense as to why their branded devices  have one set of settings and none branded ones completely different. 

Regardless the RCS service is Telstra's option to provide to it's customers. This is a service that should be available to all Telstra's customers regardless of the fact of the device  was purchased through  them or from the brand directly. They need to address this issue. Clearly for their branded device they can work something out with Samsung I'm sure they can work out something for none Telstra sold devices. We pay a premium to use Telstra for a reason. 

Jupiter

We've already been through this with the Note 10 release. Read the post that I provided the link for to get the only known solution to the problem.

I agree, it is a crazy situation and I have no idea why Samsung changed the way their firmware works, but that's the way it is at the moment.

Sancho123456
Accepted Solution

I also have an S20 ultra I purchased from Samsung directly, I also have the same issue with RCS not working. 

Raised a complaint to Telstra in the hope this would be investigated/ escalated, unfortunately no luck. Someone called me who had no idea, I don't even think she knew what RCS is. She flat out blamed my phone and told me it was faulty. She said Telstra doesn't lock people out from using these services if they didn't purchase their phone directly from Telstra. Funnily enough, I have a work colleague who recently switched to Telstra. He purchased his Note 10 plus from Samsung directly and his RCS was also not working. He followed the steps to change the Service Provider SW version to 'TEL' and RCS started working. 

I want to do the same, but having just purchased a phone that is 2k in price I'm hesitant as I'm sure this would void warranty. Anyone have any experience or info in this area?

View solution in original post

Hkc2020

Exactly my point. Yes the phone is bought from a brand but the service is provided by Telstra. If they can get that feature on their branded phones then I'm sure they should be rolling out an update for all Telstra customers to be able to us RCS service. Blaming it on Samsung for changing their software is a cop out. I'm a paying customer and whilst my other devices were able to offer me this service then a 2k phone should be able to do so. I shouldn't have to tweak or play around with complex softwear changes on my phonee to receive this and if something goes wrong then my warranty won't cover it. Spoke to Samsung, they advised this is a Telstra issue not a Samsung one. 

Sancho123456

I contacted Samsung and they provided the following response:

"We understand the importance of the Rich Communication Services features to you. We appreciate you for initiating some steps to fix the issue.

Rich Communication Services is only available for Telstra variant devices. It is an additional application that your network provider offers. Samsung has no option to add the RCS manually or flash the Galaxy device to a different firmware due to the hardware and software differences.

We will treat this enquiry as feedback for the device. Rest assured that your thoughts will be heard by having this properly document here in our system. We also immediately forwarded your suggestions to the designated team for a review."

So basically Telstra doesnt allow you to use the service if you didnt but the phone from them. Dont know what else to do now....

Hkc2020

This is EXACTLY what I have been saying. This is NOT a Samsung issue. It's Telstra's. They won't allow us to use the service they we pay for because we didnt buy the device from them!!! 

Jupiter

All the information for RCS is contained within the firmware. All the Australian firmwares are the same no matter which carrier (or no carrier, if bought outright) you bought the phone through.

It is only the Carrier SW version setting that is different (ie the bit of the firmware that tells the firmware what settings to use). That used to be able to be changed, but Samsung has locked that down and can no longer be changed easily.

Telstra has no ability to change it and the response that you got from Samsung is wrong on a technical level. There is no difference in the hardware in Australian devices. There is also no difference in the firmware other than the Carrier SW version setting (all Telstra, Vodafone and Optus software is within the Australian variant firmware).

Rominus

I had the same trouble when I first got it this week, and disabled RCC, re enabled it, and now it works fine.  I have the S20 Ultra.  I think I also restarted the phone and it worked from then

timd2234

Did you buy your device from Telstra? How exactly did you disable it?

Rominus

yes I pre ordered it. Came last Friday.

In messages app, 3 dots, settings, chat settings, and the toggle button was there. Turned it off, restarted phone, turned it on and it worked.

Really hope this works for you

timd2234

@Rominus wrote:

yes I pre ordered it. Came last Friday.

In messages app, 3 dots, settings, chat settings, and the toggle button was there. Turned it off, restarted phone, turned it on and it worked.

Really hope this works for you

Odd. I dont have a specific category for chat settings. 

In messages app, 3 dots, settings, at this step i dont have chat settings, i have more settings and then when i go into more settings i have text message settings and multimedia message settings and within either of these, I still dont have chat settings?

Rominus

Hopefully these screenshots work. It is very odd you don't have the setting...

timd2234

I can only assume u have this option because you have S20 Ultra. I have S20 plus and have no chat settings and no Rich Communication settings! Can anyone confirm this works with other providers? Even other providers that use the telstra network?

Hkc2020

We don't have this as option because we didn't get the phone from Telstra. Apparently you have to buy the phone from Telstra to use this service. Which sound like BS because if Telstra can get the firmware changed for their branded device why can't they get Samsungs help to roll out this firmware for other S20 devices that are not Telstra branded devices but Telstra paying customer's? 

timd2234

Yeah ridiculous. Neither of them want anything to do with it. Poor from Samsung really. 

@Hkc2020 wrote:

We don't have this as option because we didn't get the phone from Telstra. Apparently you have to buy the phone from Telstra to use this service. Which sound like BS because if Telstra can get the firmware changed for their branded device why can't they get Samsungs help to roll out this firmware for other S20 devices that are not Telstra branded devices but Telstra paying customer's? 

@Hkc2020 wrote:

apcer2000

I know how to make RCS work on Samsung S20 series, but you have to switch to Google messages first.

1. go to play store & download Google Messages.

2. join the beta program(may take a few minutes) and update the Messages app to beta version.

3. restart your phone & turn off your wifi connection.

4. check 'Settings' in your Messages app and chat feature should now be 'connected'.

By following these steps, RCS finally works on my S20 plus 5G (XSA model) on Telstra network. hope it helps.

timd2234

@apcer2000 wrote:

I know how to make RCS work on Samsung S20 series, but you have to switch to Google messages first.

2. join the beta program(may take a few minutes) and update the Messages app to beta version.

4. check 'Settings' in your Messages app and chat feature should now be 'connected'.

By following these steps, RCS finally works on my S20 plus 5G (XSA model) on Telstra network. hope it helps.

Wow - this works! Great work apcer2000

Hkc2020

I'll give it a shot. I downloaded Google messages. How do I join the beta thingy?

@timd2234 wrote:

@apcer2000 wrote:

Wow - this works! Great work apcer2000

timd2234

Yeah took me a bit to work it out. So on the Google Messages app page on Playstore there is an option to opt in. I didnt find it until after i downloaded the app so you may have to download the non-beta version before it lets you opt in. After successful opt-in, just update the app from the same page and it will move you into beta version. 

Hkc2020

So does this work with Samsung messages or the Google one? 

thorpies

I don't think the whole "it has to be bought through Telstra" is true, I have a OnePlus 6, a phone not even available in Australia let alone supported by Telstra, and RCS has worked flawlessly from the day it was enabled. 

Hkc2020

Exactly. My S10+ plus bought from Samsung worked flawlessly, and my partner's note 10+ is working flawlessly. So it's a bit of a cop out to say it isn't a Telstra device so it won't work. I mean if they can get Samsung to enable that for their branded device then they can have them enable it with all Telstra customers. 

Roger-Ramjet

This works for me too and proves that it's not a Telstra problem.  Something to do with android and the Samsung firmware. 

Roger-Ramjet

The above is NOT the answer, this is...

Download google messages. (as of 16th April 2020 you have to get the beta version, join the beta program in the Play store for the messages app)

Turn off wifi (not 100% on if this is needed)

Reboot phone

Open messages

On mine it just popped up and asked if I wanted to join RCS, some have mentioned needing to go into settings. 

This only works in the Google Messages app, but as it's (in my opinion) much better than the Samsung inbuilt messages that shouldn't be a problem!

brent_3000

I just upgraded from my S9 to an S20 ultra and this feature seems to not be available on a newer phone?

Does anyone have a solution for getting this to work on the Samsung messaging app as it did with the S9? 

Kinda silly how the older version worked but this version does not :/

brent_3000

FYI using the Samkey software as linked above i was able to change to TEL and now it has the functions, 

I checked and Samsung recently blocked you from firmware updating into it and now the only way is the software to make the change apparently,

Showing all the chat functions now in the Samsung Messaging up and still getting updated (latest security one just released this week)

So for anyone who needs it that's the option, I did end up ordering a SamKey via ebay as it was cheaper and the website said it would take 6 keys but it only used 1 AFAIK but phone was even showing 5G icon (never seen it before) during setup and only change is now the Telstra apps are recommended on the setup process.

Just restoring data from the Firmware change now but the CSC change didn't effect my data at all which is handy to know for future Smiley Happy 

Hardkikker

RCS is now available on S20 if you use the Google Messages app.  https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-google-bringing-wider-rcs-support-galaxy-phones/

I enabled it this morning on my S20+ bought from JB Hifi. 

Kirst87

Does this only work for Google messages or the samsung app messages

brent_3000

The Samsung Messaging needs the system to be changed over to allow TEL in the settings (only be done by flashing the phone's firmware unless you brought Telstra rates) else the Google app looks as the OS so it seems to allow it.

Personally i flashed my phone and it works a charm in the Samsung apps now, but it costs $

Jim_One

Ok, easy fix. Go to sammobile and download the telstra firmware for your phone. The instructions are on the website. Your other option is do download carrier services and google messages from the play store. This will get you RCS. I have downloaded firmware for my s20+ 5g and it worked great.

Jezza24

I'm using a Samsung S10+, purchased from an Australian Samsung store and with Telstra. Had the same issue where RCS stopped functioning after Samsung made the changes to the firmware in the last updates.  I downloaded the beta version of Google Messenger which shows that RCS is connected and functioning. Can someone confirm that this is functioning correctly as I haven't been able to test it with anyone else. I also noticed after installing Google messenger and restarting my phone the RCS chat features options is enabled again in Samsung messenger, however I'm unsure if this is functioning correctly and operating through the Telstra server or Google server

Billty

I must say this is pretty pathetic.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G direct from Samsung and now I cant get my voicemail messages sent as a file directly to my messages as an sms, I have to call Messagebank 101.

It worked on my Note 9 without issue.

Only difference is I purchased the Note 9 from Telstra and Note 20 from Samsung.

This is poor form for the money you pay seriously.

Pretty pissed !

Ziogref

After having RCS for years on my Google Phones it stopped working on my Note 20 Ultra 5g. If you google "How to change CSC on [Insert your phone here]"

You want to change is from whatever it is to TEL.

Mine was purchased from Samsung and my CSC code was XSA (Samsung unbranded Australian model) changing to to TEL makes it a telstra mobile and it will download the required back software to enable RCS.

I'm not Telstra and this does require messing around with the phone and requires a windows computer.

Jezza24

Update to my last post: I appear to have RCS now on both Samsung Messenger or Google Messenger, phone is purchased through Samsung. Beta version of Google Messenger does not appear to be required. I noticed that RCS was active in Samsung Messenger even after I uninstalled Google Messenger Beta and after the most recent update.  I've reinstalled the non beta version of Google Messenger as a backup to test it out. Those contacts showing they have RCS active is the same for both messaging apps.  I didn't change any other phone settings to activate RCS e.g. CSC code.

Meshx86

Hey mate, would mind sharing exactly how you got that working? The format of this thread makes a but hard for me to follow, thanks.

Meshx86

For anyone still looking at this, I followed info in this YouTube video, rebooted the phone and it started working:

https://youtu.be/NrufyCrVYkU

@Meshx86 wrote:

Hey mate, would mind sharing exactly how you got that working? The format of this thread makes a but hard for me to follow, thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit