SternCrest
Level 1: Cadet

Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) updates

Is there a reason the Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) isn't listed on the Telstra updates site? I would have thought it would at least be noted as "Manufacturer Notification", given the various security updates that have been published by Samsung. I'm not comfortable leaving my phone with the original January 2017 Android security update level when more recent updates have been published.

I'm using this to look for the status of updates.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/bd-p/Device_Updates

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Steph
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) updates

Hi SternCrest

For a device to not be listed it means there's no updates for the device being worked on at this stage.

Telstra won't necessarily release every update the manufacturer releases though. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

SternCrest
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) updates

Thanks, Steph.

How can Telstra justify this position (not even looking at device updates for the A5 for 5 months)? It would be different if you didn't sell the model yourself, but this device is actively being marketed in your stores.

I can understand taking more time for major updates, but to withhold security updates is deeply concerning.

If you're planning on supporting security updates for a device you shouldn't offer it for sale. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit