woeful
Level 3: Gumshoe

Samsung S10 - Convert Sim to Esim?

Answered

My wife had a problem with her S10 last night (07/03/2021) whereby she had 2 Homepages. The top one could be moved/swiped away, the 2nd one remained fixed, non of the icons were responsive though except for Settings. We could get into the settings but couldn't find anything different on her S10 settings that were different to mine, we both have a Telstra S10 (SM-G973F).

Today she took the phone to a Telstra Store and was told by an employee that someone had changed her SIM card to an Esim online. The Telstra Store person gave her a new SIM card, problem solved.

Can anybody explain or know how that can happen, apparently the Telstra S10's are not supposed to be dual sim card compatible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
woeful
Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung S10 - Convert Sim to Esim?

Password changed as advised Jupiter.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Changing a SIM to an eSIM can happen regardless of the phone that you have. That's an account level request and Telstra doesn't actually know which model phone you are using, just which phone you are paying off.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
woeful

Re "That's an account level request", if we never made that request in the first place, then how could the changing of the SIM to an eSIM happen?

Has the phone or our PC's been hacked in some way for the person to get the required information to change the sim online?

Jupiter

The most likely answer is that it was a mistake by a consultant. It is highly unlikely that your devices have been hacked and your details stolen (it's much easier to get your details from social media), unless you have been called by a scammer and you followed all their instructions.

I would be changing my Telstra password just in case as a precaution anyway.

If you would like it investigated, lodge a complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
woeful
Accepted Solution

Password changed as advised Jupiter.

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

woeful

Found the following today on another Forum, looks like it is new hacking scheme.

"Today our Telstra account was hacked, and subsequently email accounts were hacked as well.

It all started with the hackers somehow resetting our password without the one time verification code?
And then requesting a new eSim.. and voila we lost access to our mobile as the SIM card was inactivated.

The Telstra person said the hacker never accessed the eSim because the order wasn’t processed. But I was under the impression that it’s all instant in the Telstra app now anyway?

Can someone who understands the process much better than me explain, is it that easy to do in the app, is it instant? Or was the Telstra person correct and it’s a process that takes some time and there’s no way they would have actually had access to our phone number?"

StaceyL1
Support Team
Support Team

Hi woeful. 

It's best to get in touch with us through the My Telstra app so we can take a look into your account and check out what's happened. Jump into the app (download info here), head through the "get help" tab then touch the blue speech bubble.

You'll initially be greeted by Codi (our bot), use short concise phrases such as "account enquiry" to give the prompt to take you through and have a chat with an agent who can look into this for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit