minionn
Level 1: Cadet

Someone diverted my mobile to an unknown number.

Someone not known to me was able to call forward all calls from my mobile to another unknown number.

This was done without my knowledge or permission.

How is this possible?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Dowser
Level 20: Director

Re: Someone diverted my mobile to an unknown number.

A person with physical access to the phone could do it in minutes

How to use Call Forward Immediate

To switch on:

1. Dial * 2 1
  2. Enter the phone number you want to forward calls to, followed by #
minionn

And without physical access to phone? I can guarantee no one has physical access to phone

Dowser

It could have simply been a system glitch where call forwarding was requested for somebody else and your number was inadvertently entered.

You could contact Telstra Support and ask them to look at your account history if you so desire, via the My Telstra app or messaging at https://tel.st/pamgz

minionn

It coincided with bank fraud, so unlikely an "accident"

So how can this be done?

Also how do I know if my number has been ported without my knowledge?

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

"how do I know if my number has been ported without my knowledge?" - your phone would no longer be able to make or receive calls as the Telstra SIM would no longer be active.

Forwarding can be done at the account level by a consultant. The person who did it would have needed to have known your personal details and your account password - which if they have managed to pull off a bank fraud, then they've got those details.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

@minionn wrote:

It coincided with bank fraud, so unlikely an "accident"

You have denied the possibility of physical access, or personal involvement, so if you want to check if it was performed at an account level then contact Telstra Support and ask about your account history.

Also, be sure that your phone has the latest security updates.

minionn

Phone has latest updates and is virus protected. 

I have a random 4 digit pin that was supposed to add additional security on my telstra account.

So again, how can someone place a call forward on my phone without physical access to my phone, without my knowledge or consent?

Contacting help desk was done but mixed messages received as the chat goes from 1 person to the next and I have to repeat myself each time cause they don't appear capable of reading the chat thread. 

Dowser

Hopefully it will not occur again.

In future, if you have to contact Support, you can request to speak to a person by typing “speak to consultant” in the chat in the My Telstra app.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit