brcw
Level 2: Rookie

Stop Phone Asking to Connect Telstra Air

We use Telstra for our home internet (cable).  However my mobile phone service provider is Vodafone.  I am using a factory refurbished Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge phone and it has a Telstra app from its original purposing which I can disable but not delete.  My problem is that when I'm at home the phone insists on asking to connect to Telstra Air rather than our own wifi.  As it then fails to connect the smart switch causes it to use my Vodafone mobile data instead.  How can I make it ignore Telstra Air and connect to the real home wifi from our Telstra cable modem?  I really don't want it ever asking me to connect to Telstra Air - it seems to scan for it all the time when I'm out, running down the battery.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Stop Phone Asking to Connect Telstra Air

@brcw

Is your phone asking you to sign in, or asking you to join the Telstra Air Network?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

brcw

Asking to sign in !
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You should just be able to forget the Telstra Air Network to stop this from happening.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

brcw

I select "Forget network" each time. It returns within a few hours.

Hunter-IT
Level 20: Director

Telstra air is seperate from the embeded software and you should be abke to ininstall it from app manager i did on my s7
I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
brcw

There is no Telstra Air app on the phone, just one called Telstra which I cannot uninstall but I have disbaled it.

brcw

Any other thoughts, this is driving me crazy.  Although the Telstra app is disabled I still get the request to connect to Telstra Air a number of times every day.  Also another one called Fon wifi pops up regularly as well.

Hunter-IT
Level 20: Director

This is the app you need to remove

20170518_200119.png

I am not a Telstra employee, so all opinions are my own, I have been around Telstra products a long time and have a reasonably strong general tech knowledge. .
brcw

The only one of those on my phone is the second one, just labelled Telstra. It doesn't give me an option to uninstall so I have disabled it, but it hasn't helped.
Iain_T
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi brcw, 

If you set forget the Air Network in your WiFi settings and turn off auto search WiFi connections, this will stop the pop up. Your mobile should then only connect to your home WiFi or the last WiFi connection made. 

timrichardson

But when you want to use Telstra Air outside of home, the wifi network gets added again. Detecting and switching to Telstra Air is often what you want away from home, and never what you want when you're at home. It seems insane to me that the Telstra Air app can't manage this somehow: We need a setting "never prefer Telstra Air over these wifi networks".  I did not find a solution better than disabling Telstra Air on my broadband package, which is sad because it was the main reason I swapped to Big Pond.

brcw

@Iain_T wrote:

Hi brcw, 

If you set forget the Air Network in your WiFi settings and turn off auto search WiFi connections, this will stop the pop up. Your mobile should then only connect to your home WiFi or the last WiFi connection made. 

Thanks, seems the best of several bad options.  The downside is that I will have to manually activate the auto search every time I visit another office, airlines lounges and so on.

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi brcw, 

To disconnect from the Telstra Air Network, simply turn the Wi-Fi off on your device. This will force your device to disconnect from Telstra Air.

If you have the Telstra Air App installed on your device, you can also open the app and select Disconnect.

On Android and iOS devices you can also choose to Forget a network. Your device will delete your login details and your device will not try to automatically connect to it.

Open the Wi-Fi network list in your device settings, tap the network name, and select Forget.

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit