Talia1985
Level 3: Gumshoe

Unauthorised installation of pocket news

This morning I switched my Samsung galaxy s5 off. Upon switching it back on, a new app "Pocket news" was installed on my device, without my knowledge or consent, and without my acceptance of the terms and conditions.
As it cannot be uninstalled manually, I had to phone Telstra, as it is an app exclusive to Telstra (as I understand it).
The customer service representative first stated that she would remove it for me. After waiting on hold for sometime, she returned only to tell me that I had to remove it myself via m.bigpond.com
I attempted to do so only to discover that while I allegedly have no subscriptions, I am unable to remove the freaking app from my device via any means.
Again, I did not authorise it's download and am aware that fees and charges apply to the use of this app. No one has been able to successfully explain to me as to how, or why this app was installed on my device upon reboot, without my permission! I want it off my phone immediately. I have read numerous threads on here complaining about a similar issue. Telstra, you should not make this process so convoluted. Customers should not have apps installed without their knowledge and their removal should not require such an effort! Mind you, at the expense of the customer.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
GlennL
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Unauthorised installation of pocket news

It's not able to be uninstalled as it's not installed on your phone.

It's on the SIM card, this 'app' has been on Telstra phones for over 10 years.

Have a look here for more

https://www.pocketnews.telstra.com/alerts
Talia1985

Well it certainly was not there in the morning, now I can't get rid of it. It suddenly appeared next to one of my existing apps. Furthermore, it was never something that appeared on my existing s4 last week.
GlennL
Level 21: Augmented

It's been there since long before the smartphone was around. It's a front end to that 176 PocketNews SMS service. It just gives you a menu of the most common things. That's why it's sometimes in strange places on certain phone menus.

Just put it in a folder and forget about it, it will not slow down your phone as it's not installed on your phone, it doesn't take up any resources.
Talia1985

Oh really, then why is it under my "applications" tab, along with all my other applications??

Why does it state, "this APP can access the following data on your device. To improve performance and reduce memory usage, some permissions are available to PocketNews because it runs in the same process as CSC, Preconfig., com.sec.phone, AutoPreConfig., MMSService, Phone, Automation Test, Phone, Phone, Service mode, RIL and dealer storage.

It says it takes up 168KB so I'm at a loss to understand your explanation, and lack there of with respect to how it magically appeared on my handset this morning. No answers, just riddles and rubbish.

This isn't an isolated threat, there have been others, and customers are unaware of why it exists or how it operates.
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Talia1985,

How did you go with this issue? 

If you haven't subscribed to anything within the app you won't be charged anything. Strange that it appeared out of nowhere though.

If you wish to disable pocketnews you can go to Settings > Application Manager > Find the app and disable it

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Talia1985

Hi Matt,
It was never resolved. While I can't tell whether it has cost me anything extra (I haven't examined my bill closely), I'm more annoyed by the fact that I'm unable to delete the app icon from my handset. There is no way to remove it and it's permanently next to my realestate.com.au app.
beetle84
Level 15: Special Agent

First world problems....
Tex260Z
Level 1: Cadet

Ok, Talking to Telstra and send cancel codes acheives nothing, The Telstra FAQ's page for the Pocket News service is broken (suprise!). However, I discovered that if you hold your finger on the App icon, you will get a "Disable app" option at the top of the page, drag the icon onto that and it says it will "disable the app and associated services" or similar.

Enjoy

Worth complaing to the Ombudsman anyway, I believe it contravenes the privacy laws as the app accesses information on your phone without your approval.

iinsaayn

Exactly the same thing just happened to me. I didn't and don't want it nor did I authorise the download. REALLY ANNOYED TOO!
iinsaayn

Tex260z...the DISABLE APP option is greyed out on my phone.
DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey iinsaayn,

I have been able to locate the following thread that does have the 3 ways that this Pocket News Alerts can be turned off:

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/AFL-Live/pocket-news/m-p/448649/highlight/true#M5905

This is listed under Cas_Telstra's post. Let me know how you go with this, and please remember you will have to b logged into the Mobile Network and not a WiFi connection for this to work correctly. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Nartman

Check this apps info via settings.. its NASTY
Tacitium

It says i dont have the priviliges needed to get into that thread.
I mustnt be white, male and CIS enough.
amckern
Level 2: Rookie

Dont be concerned the service is closed:

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Telstra-Product-Exits/PocketNews-Is-Closing/ba-p/652348

PocketNews is closing on 31 March 2017. We'd like to thank you for using our PocketNews service

1. I am here to help, but please direct any issues about faults or your account to 132200, or live chat.
2. I work in Telstra Retail, and have had >10 years experience with the business.
3. Any comments I have made are my own Opinion, and not that of Telstra (RRR)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit