Alternate
Level 2: Rookie

Using a Pre-Paid mobile with an existing contract?

Answered

Hi, I'm looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy A20 which is 'Pre-paid'. Am I able to continue using my existing contract? Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Using a Pre-Paid mobile with an existing contract?

Hi Alternate,

Yes, you can put your contract SIM into a Pre-Paid mobile phone.

If the Samsung A20 takes a different size SIM than what you are currently using, you can get the SIM replaced at a Telstra store free of charge.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Smiley3
Accepted Solution

Hi Alternate,

Yes, you can put your contract SIM into a Pre-Paid mobile phone.

If the Samsung A20 takes a different size SIM than what you are currently using, you can get the SIM replaced at a Telstra store free of charge.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.

View solution in original post

Alternate

Hi again,

My old contract SIM won't work on my new Telstra pre-paid. Found on the Telstra online help that they charge $80 to release the phone to a new SIM!

Any way around this?

Thanks.

Smiley3

Hi Alternate,

A fee only has to be paid to unlock a Telstra Pre-Paid mobile phone if the SIM that is going into it is not a Telstra SIM eg: Optus, Vodafone, Aldi, Woolworths.

Your SIM is a Telstra contract SIM, isn't it?

Alternate

No, it's with Vaya. I had no idea Telstra would charge a fee of $80.

Too late now really. I'll have to see whether a move to pre-paid is worthwhile, or else cop the $80 fee.

Smiley3

It's a pity you didn't write that you were with Vaya and not Telstra in your first post.

I would have replied that you would need to pay $80 to unlock the Samsung A20 from the Telstra Network.

It is also written on the top of the Samsung A20 box (very small writting though) under "Things you need to know" that there is an unlocking fee applies for use with a Non-Telstra SIM card.

When people ask a question on Telstra Crowdsupport that are not using a Telstra SIM, they write the provider they are with.

On a side note...did you purchase the Samsung A20 from Coles or KMart?

A few people have posted on Crowdsupport around February that they were having trouble unlocking the Samsung A20 from the Telstra Network after they purchased it from these 2 stores.

I'm not sure if they did eventually get them unlocked, they didn't post back that they did.

Alternate

I purchased the phone online. Did some searches for reviews on the phone, but saw nothing about unlock fees. Oh well, we live and learn. Thanks for your help all the same...cheers.

Smiley3

Hi Alternate,

If you bought it through the Telstra Pre-Paid website under "Things you need to know" down near the bottom of the page it says "Telstra pre-paid mobile devices: Only work with a Telstra SIM card. Unlocking fee applies for use with a non-Telstra SIM card.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/prepaid-phones#!/filter/brand//os//features...

I hope you can get to enjoy the Samsung A20.

That's the mobile phone my Mum and sister will be purchasing soon.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit