Bluewave
Level 4: Private Eye

Foxtel Sports on TBox - is it worth it?

Answered

I have 2 TBoxes in my home, and enjoy using them for viewing and recording free to air TV shows, for downloading and watching BigPond movies occasionally, and for watching Foxtel Sports channels.  I have only JUST finished paying off the second TBox via monthly Telstra bill.  I also use the Foxtel Go App on a PC, and though it was not working at one point (extremely frustrating getting ANY help from ANY entity - Telstra or Foxtel), it is now back and running.  I did have issues with the remote on the newer TBox, but after determining it wasn't a battery issue got a replacement older style remote and it is working now - though we must point it right at the box to get it to pick up the signal.  All up, even with the letdowns stated above, I have been relatively satisfied with the purchase of the TBoxes.

Now I am starting to rethink my satisfaction level.  Telstra have moved on from TBox, and they appear to have no interest in supporting existing owners/users.  I guess there's no money to be made in supporting those who want to hold onto their "old tech".  There is only money made in selling ever-newer hardware (eg, most new mobile phones don't have a replaceable battery).  The issue with the new BeIn Sports channels not working with a Foxtel on TBox Sports subscription is a major factor in my disappointment.  One of the main reasons for my Sports subscription was to watch English Premier League football (soccer) and now it seems that will be impossible (unlikely the 3 EPL channels being launched in July 2016 will be available either).

I had previously enjoyed watching Major League Baseball games on Foxtel but now only get a few games a week via ESPN channels.  For this reason I purchased an annual subscription to MLBTV Premium for $110USD and can watch every game played by every team (on my PC or Smart TV), including Spring Training, Regular Season, and all Post Season action.  It's wonderful!

What I am wondering is whether there is any similar alternative for EPL football lovers in Australia so that I can cancel the Foxtel on TBox subscription? 

I am definitely NOT INTERESTED in purchasing and installing new Foxtel hardware and paying for that subscription.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Foxtel Sports on TBox - is it worth it?

Hey @Bluewave,

I was in the same boat as you, and I'll let you know my opinion.

I love my T-Boxes, and I will keep them running for as long as I can hold out, but like MANY people, I began to realise that Foxtel was acting like the only pizza store in town.  If you want anchovies on your pizza, you have to buy the onions and pineapples, because "That's the way we do it, eat it or not"

Instread of listening, moving with the times, and presenting an a-la carte menu where you can buy the individual ingredients, they make you buy a package of stuff, even if you only want parts.

I have already argued that I would rather pay $5.00 per month for the individual channels I WANT, but to get  thge VERY FEW Entertainment channels, I have to pay an extra $15.00 per month, because that's the way they sell the ingredients.

OK, I get 12 Channels for $15.00,  even if I only want 2.  I'd happily give them $10.00 per month for less "value"  but they don't care, or won't put the effort into granularising the experience.

It's the same exactly with the sports package. Let me pay for the individual sports channels I want, and I'll come to the store.

So people areound the world are "cord cutting" as individual content providers are coming along with "all you can eat buffet" offerings.

I'd still be with Foxtel on T-Box if they allowed us to select individual content, and like you, I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in getting yet another box that makes me eat the pizza they offer.

So I ditched  Foxtel on T-Box, and I'm saving money, because even subscribing to Presto, STAN, and Netflix gives us more value, at LESS than what I was paying for Foxtel on T-Box, or ANY Foxtel package.

You will probably miss the Sports, which is a pity, but there are plenty of legal ways to watch many sports across the net.  Yes, LEGAL.

Unfortunately, our politicians aren't game to break up the monopoly practices, and Foxtel will either die like a dinosaur or evolve as the geoblocking falls down.

Once HBO begins HBO Direct in Australia or starts allowing international subscribers, Foxtel wont evem have Game Of Thrones exclusively.  Foxtels exclusivity to GOT has an expiry date.

So in the long run,  I think you will save money by ditching it, and seeking alternatives.

I beleive the ROKU box (upon which the Telstra-TV is based) will allow you to subscribe to various sports overseas. You may need to use a VPN, but if you are paying for the content, you are morally covered.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Wanglese
Accepted Solution

Hey @Bluewave,

I was in the same boat as you, and I'll let you know my opinion.

I love my T-Boxes, and I will keep them running for as long as I can hold out, but like MANY people, I began to realise that Foxtel was acting like the only pizza store in town.  If you want anchovies on your pizza, you have to buy the onions and pineapples, because "That's the way we do it, eat it or not"

Instread of listening, moving with the times, and presenting an a-la carte menu where you can buy the individual ingredients, they make you buy a package of stuff, even if you only want parts.

I have already argued that I would rather pay $5.00 per month for the individual channels I WANT, but to get  thge VERY FEW Entertainment channels, I have to pay an extra $15.00 per month, because that's the way they sell the ingredients.

OK, I get 12 Channels for $15.00,  even if I only want 2.  I'd happily give them $10.00 per month for less "value"  but they don't care, or won't put the effort into granularising the experience.

It's the same exactly with the sports package. Let me pay for the individual sports channels I want, and I'll come to the store.

So people areound the world are "cord cutting" as individual content providers are coming along with "all you can eat buffet" offerings.

I'd still be with Foxtel on T-Box if they allowed us to select individual content, and like you, I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER in getting yet another box that makes me eat the pizza they offer.

So I ditched  Foxtel on T-Box, and I'm saving money, because even subscribing to Presto, STAN, and Netflix gives us more value, at LESS than what I was paying for Foxtel on T-Box, or ANY Foxtel package.

You will probably miss the Sports, which is a pity, but there are plenty of legal ways to watch many sports across the net.  Yes, LEGAL.

Unfortunately, our politicians aren't game to break up the monopoly practices, and Foxtel will either die like a dinosaur or evolve as the geoblocking falls down.

Once HBO begins HBO Direct in Australia or starts allowing international subscribers, Foxtel wont evem have Game Of Thrones exclusively.  Foxtels exclusivity to GOT has an expiry date.

So in the long run,  I think you will save money by ditching it, and seeking alternatives.

I beleive the ROKU box (upon which the Telstra-TV is based) will allow you to subscribe to various sports overseas. You may need to use a VPN, but if you are paying for the content, you are morally covered.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

View solution in original post

Bluewave

Thank you for your reply. I am in complete agreement, and will likely "cut the cord" this weekend. By the time the EPL season begins again there may be better options available.

I'm now looking at taking up a new home "bundle" for my landline phone and internet (comes with Telstra TV, but that will likely live in a cupboard), and with the current special offer I will save $80 per month. That really adds up over time! And I could use the savings to pay for an overseas EPL subscription 🙂

Bluewave

I marked the question as "solved" since I think we both agree the answer is "NO"

Wanglese

Smiley LOLLOL.

It will be interesting to see who else chimes in though.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit