techs
Level 3: Gumshoe

T-Box firmware

Answered

Hi There,

I have recently purchased a never used t-box.

It just so happens because it's never been used, it has not updated the firmware and i cannot register the device, the person i spoke to on the phone told me there is absolutely nothing that can be done, so it literally can be used to watch TV and that’s it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I feel like i have just purchased an expensive paper weight and feeling quite stupid.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: T-Box firmware

Depending on the firmware version that is on the TBox, it may not be able to be updated. A few years ago, there was an update that was required in order for a TBox to continue updating to new firmware. This update was available for about 6 months, but is no longer available since the TBox was discontinued as a product.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
smee90
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Of all the T-Boxes I own (all 7 of them) none of them have failed to automatically update their firmware. Just make sure to have it connected to your network (Telstra broadband), and eventually it should trigger an update. Sometimes it helps if you type in channel 911 which takes you to the T-Box Information page where it will check which firmware is currently installed, sometimes prompting a firmware update at the same time. It can be a little hit and miss, but eventually it should happen. Best of luck.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Depending on the firmware version that is on the TBox, it may not be able to be updated. A few years ago, there was an update that was required in order for a TBox to continue updating to new firmware. This update was available for about 6 months, but is no longer available since the TBox was discontinued as a product.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

APT
Level 2: Rookie

whats the registration number of your Tbox

does it start with g6 or g4?

APT
Level 2: Rookie

most t box are plan dependent 

make sure that your present plan is not charging you too much as old plans are more expensive

tbox is even obscelete time to get foxtel iq

datalore777
Level 20: Director

@APT wrote:

most t box are plan dependent 

make sure that your present plan is not charging you too much as old plans are more expensive

tbox is even obscelete time to get foxtel iq

This has nothing to do with to the discussion relating to firmware.

Cheers!

techs
Level 3: Gumshoe

Just an update for those playing at home - i ended up sending my t-box back to Telstra for investigation, it got lost, never to be seen again and now i don't own a T-Box. 

Thanks for all your suggestions though, greatly appreciated! 

CrowdDudette
Level 9: Captain

Hi @techs thanks for posting the result as a warning to us all.  That is sad news for yourself though & very convenient for Telstra.

It is becoming more & more obvious that Telstra seem to be wanting us to stop using T-Box once & for all and giving us grief when trying to do so.  It's a pity that their latest product Telstra TV2 is inferior in that it can't record & we get our Foxtel packages cheaper on TBox being under older plans.

julesguth
Level 1: Cadet

Yes. I do NOT want a telstra tv that I can't record with and get less foxtel channels for more money. I have a brand new never used tbox here that cannot be registered properly as it has old firmware, version 5.3 something. Very frustrating that I cannot upgrade this firmware.

CrowdDudette

Hi @julesguthhave you tried registering the new TBox using Mozilla Firefox on your PC, then leaving connected to Internet all the time?

I was successful doing this with a brand new TBox a few months ago.  It wouldn't register via Chrome or Internet Explorer but did work properly using Firefox then updated to the latest software a few nights later after being left connected to Internet.  Enjoying 2 TBoxes in our household. 

Don't know why only Firefox worked and not the others, it just did.  Web address was

https://tbox.bigpond.com/stbsetup

julesguth

Hi,

thanks for your suggestion. I have just registered via Firefox, but when you say leave tbox connected to internet how do you mean exactly? Usually we connect tbox via wifi but should I plug in the ethernet cord to tbox then the other end to modem? Sorry probably dense question.

julesguth

CrowdDudette

Hi @julesguth

Not a dense question, the only dense question is the one you didn't ask!

I would play it safe & rather than connect via WiFi, yes, connect TBox via Ethernet (one end at TBox & other directly into Modem) until update goes through.  Use long Ethernet cable if modem is too far away. If update hasn't happened after say a week, then ring T-Box support and ask if they are able to "push" update through manually for you which they should be able to do since it is registered.

Once it has upgraded to latest software 5.4.047-454 then should be safe to remove your Ethernet Cable and just connect to Internet via WiFi.

Please post back in due course to let us know if you were successful.  Good Luck & hope this works for you!

julesguth

Hi @CrowdDudette

Sadly this has not worked for me to update the firmware. T-box has been connected to the internet for a week and still on same version, 5.3. Telstra claim nothing can be done. VERY disappointed with them! May switch to another provider as this is yet another example of Telstra leaving loyal customers high and dry.

julesguth

CrowdDudette

Hi @julesguth

I wouldn't give up just yet, that's what Telstra want you to do, with persistence it will most likely happen.

A few of us have been successful upgrading firmware, myself included a few months ago.

Since it is registered there is every chance it will eventually upgrade.  Whilst it is connected to internet via Ethernet cable, go to Menu/Settings/TBox information/System Information.  Press the red button on the remote & let it reset it's internet connection.

As per post by smee90 (8/1/17 above) then try manually changing to channel 911 (TBox help) & run the diagnostics to see if it may kick in.  Try a few more nights & make sure it is left plugged in to Ethernet, don't turn it off (although it will automatically go into standby that's okay).  Every now & then try changing to channel 911 etc.

If this still fails, then ring Telstra Complaints (staff seem to have better knowledge or access to things there) & tell them others have had firmware updates manually pushed through and since TBox is still a Telstra product used by Telstra Customers with Telstra support to make it work you are no different if you are on applicable Telstra plan.

Good Luck

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit