Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

T-Hub 2 Software Update Available

Answered

T-Hub 2 Software Update – Release 2.3.7_1.62

Software update 2.3.7_1.62 for the T-Hub 2 tablet is now available for downloading. You can check what version you are on by selecting from the T-Hub 2 Home Page, Settings->About phone->Telstra firmware

Every T-Hub 2 tablet has been scheduled to automatically download and install the update over the next few days.

If your tablet has not been updated by 26th November, you may attempt to manually download the update by selecting from the T-Hub 2 Home Page, Settings->About phone->Telstra firmware and select to Start the download.

If your T-Hub 2 tablet suggests that the software is up to date when you attempt to perform the manual update, try again in the next 24 hours.  

The update will bring the following improvements to the Calling, SMS, Contacts and T-Share applications:

Calling: Improvements to the stability of the calling application when paging other T-Hub 2 devices and setting up/taking a second call.

SMS: Improvements to the stability of the SMS application.

Contacts: Improvements to ensure that changes made to a contact on the tablet that are shared with the handset will be updated immediately. Some customers had indicated that contacts were taking a few minutes to be updated across T-Hub 2 devices intermittently.

T-Share: Improvements to the stability of T-Share application when browsing or playing some media files.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: T-Hub 2 Software Update Available

@Mullo wrote:

I thought this outdated piece of rubbish was supposed to be getting upgraded to Jelly Bean ?

When i purchased it i was told the update was immiment and was even noted on the spec's pages excerpt atttached:

Operating System: Android™ 2.3 (Gingerbread) upgradeable to Android 4.x

I now note this has been removed, do I have a case to take to the telecommunications ombudsman for ACC for false advertising ??

It is still noted on this page https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/t-hub-2-general-faqs

Why has Telstra chosen to launch the T-Hub® 2 with Gingerbread (Android™ 2.3.x) rather than Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)?

T-Hub 2 will be upgrading to ICS  over the coming months. Customers will be able to upgrade to the version as part of a software update.

As it was advertised as being "Upgradable to Android 4.x" without a specific timeframe, I am unable to really enlighten you on what is or isn't acceptable. The TIO makes its own decisions on those things.

If you are unsatisfied with the fact your T-Hub2 hasn't received the update, you are welcome to contact Telstra and ask for it to be returned if it is not "Fit For Purpose". From what I can gather, the device still functions correctly?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

since the update i have not been able to call handsets from tablet the handset can call the tablet ok but no calls from tablet to handsets

i have done complete system reset and still no good

Highlighted

also after reset i am unable to import contacts from telstra account

do they even test these updates

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Not experiencing any of your types of issues here, but I'll try some tests and see what I get

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Contacts works for me on 1.62. What is the exact scenario & what are you experiencing?
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Do you mean trying to hand off an incomming call to the handset?
Highlighted

as i said the contact will not update from my bigpond contacts they have done previously but since this update and reseting of system they will not update

Highlighted

the calling of handsets is now ok they put a menu in the phone section to make internal calls but it is a long way round for calls that only required you to put the number of the phone in ie: 1 2 3 4 or 5 and press call much simpler

KISS  

Highlighted

after much time on the phone to tec support found out from sales that my sync was discontinued end of august this year and the only way to import the contacts is to export them from MyConnect as vcard and import from sd card

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I thought this outdated piece of rubbish was supposed to be getting upgraded to Jelly Bean ?

When i purchased it i was told the update was immiment and was even noted on the spec's pages excerpt atttached:

I now note this has been removed, do I have a case to take to the telecommunications ombudsman for ACC for false advertising ??

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

@Mullo wrote:

It is still noted on this page https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/t-hub-2-general-faqs

Why has Telstra chosen to launch the T-Hub® 2 with Gingerbread (Android™ 2.3.x) rather than Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS)?

T-Hub 2 will be upgrading to ICS  over the coming months. Customers will be able to upgrade to the version as part of a software update.

As it was advertised as being "Upgradable to Android 4.x" without a specific timeframe, I am unable to really enlighten you on what is or isn't acceptable. The TIO makes its own decisions on those things.

If you are unsatisfied with the fact your T-Hub2 hasn't received the update, you are welcome to contact Telstra and ask for it to be returned if it is not "Fit For Purpose". From what I can gather, the device still functions correctly?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

There is quite a bit of work to go before we make Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) available as a software update as we want to ensure that the upgrade experience is seamless and that the impact on users is kept to a minimum. 

Testing to date has been promising with a number of improvements already being observed with the user experience and general performance of the device. 

In terms of timing - we are anticipating that the update will be made available in the first half of next year.  

Highlighted

Any chance of getting on a limited beta program?Smiley LOL

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yeah I would be keen on a quick beta as well - very underwhelmed with the unit so far
Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

Why do up dates in Australia take twice as long.

All of the gear from China has been running 4.0 for months!!!!!!

I'm not a Telstra employee.
I'm a Wireless 3G/4G LTE/4GX Antenna Sub-contractor and these are my opinions and not of Telstra.
Highlighted

@wdtvandsound wrote:

Assume it has something to do with better QA then China?

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Now almost mid Feb....anything new on this? One would think Telstra would try to lead, not lag well behind.

Highlighted

Patience, young Jedi.Smiley Happy

I'm led to believe there is some testing going on.

I DO wish they would keep us informed Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Testing of the next firmware is continuing. From what we have seen so far, the application responsiveness  is better and the user interface is sleeker (ICS look and feel). 

As for dates, we are planning to make it available in April.

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Was there an update today?

When I went to make a call on my hand piece there was a message on the screen saying......downloading an update.

On my tablet it says firmware is 2.3.7_1.62

Anyone know?

Highlighted

News to me. AFAIK, that is the latest firmware for the tablet.

Not sure what firmware it needed to update on the handsets though.

I just picked up my T-Hub 2 Handset, and  it says "Download complete", so I think there must be an update separate to the tablet.

Wish they'd give us a heads up.....

Oh GREAT. Now my handset is frozen on the  download complete screen. I might leave it for a half hour and see what it thinnks it's doing before I try anything.

It won't do any good to call support, I know, because they are unlikely to have a heads up.

Oh, I'm leaving this up to show I can be an idiot too. 

For anyone following, you just have to acknowledge the download complete message by clicking the phone button underneath the message

Smiley Embarassed

Software on the Handset shows as 2512_152      239   though I cannot find any new features.  Probably to fix a bug.

Highlighted

There must be more eager beavers that just me for the ICS update - april seems so far away ???

Highlighted

Patience, young Jedi.

I know it's being done.

Highlighted

@Ben_F wrote:

@wdtvandsound wrote:

Assume it has something to do with better QA then China?

B.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry not meant to be a #*%**, but I had to laugh at this. The statement could be corrected by changing it to "I would like to assume....etc".

I've tried really hard to stick with Telstra and don't get me wrong I'm still trying. I have Foxtel, home phone (T-Hub 2 & previously the T-Hub 1), Cable internet, mobile and my partners mobile. The idea of semi decent QA going on at Telstra just makes me laugh. Every single product I've got through Telstra has been problematic to say the least, even down to them spelling my name wrong and not being able to fix it as apparently account names cannot be changed (seriously is Paul a hard name to spell?)

If QA is what is holding Telstra back from rolling out an update, I think a new QA department is in order. Where was QA when the initial T-Hub came out? Where was QA when the T-Hub 2 came out? The T-Hub 2 was meant to be fantastic, the handsets were meant to be a vast improvement. I agree with that in that it's not hard to beat terrible with not quite so terrible. Currently though I'm having issues with my handsets as they are dropping calls and occasionally getting interferance, I get echos, the interface is laggy on both the handsets and the T-Hub 2, The handsets will not hold Adelaide time they switch back to Eastern Standard...even though the T-Hub 2 has the correct time. I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.

I'd like to have faith in Telstra, really I would, as when they are working they work fantastically, but getting there is a battle. So to say that QA is the reason for the delay in what is essentially an enormous bug fix and feature upgrade (yes I know there is more than that to it, but other companies manage it) is a joke. If QA were doing their job then Gingerbread would not have been approved in the first place. It was a 2 year old OS version by the time the T-Hub 2 was released. Good news is though we have been provided with a rough time frame of April, which truely is good news as it means that we should be all set for a mid January 2016 release of Jellybean. Once the QA irons out the bugs of course.

Highlighted

Remember, the T-Hub 2 is a PHONE.  A LANDLINE, DECT phone.  It is NOT a standard tablet.

So, QA has to cover such things as can it interoperate with DECT devices, including 3rd party ones.

It would be DUMB in the extreme to give everybody ICS and it screwed up the device control for it's PRIMARY fuction, which is a hands-free phone.

That's how it's sold.

It is NOT a tablet that can do LANDLINE phone things (you cannot buy one)

It is a LANDLINE phone that, because it has Android powers, can ALSO do sone android type things, as well as SMS via your landline etc at 1c per go.

So if Telstra released the ICS into the wide world, and the phone stopped working, or would not operate with all of the other things, this would be a nightmare, because it would fail in it's primary function.

So, you have to got through regression testing.

and BTW, had Telstra waited for the ICS, there STILL would be a number of issues:

1: people with T-Hub legacy devices (mine still works, but it had more than it's fair share of issues)

2: Telstra would still have to regression test it for it's PRIMARY FUNCTIONS

3: Android KLM would be o it's way in.

4: it's not a Telstra made device.  It's built to specs by a 3rd party, and all sorts of coding has to be done before it leaves the door.This will inevitably cause delays.

You have to get your feet wet sometime, or you never get your device out into the market.

I will bet that within 6 months of T-Hub 2 getting ICS, people will be asking and demanding KLM or whatever the next Android release is.

Highlighted

So what are we getting? Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ice Cream Sandwich.

Highlighted

Yay - it's April already. I'm keen as a bean for some icecream.

Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

What duk wrote.

Common guys release it already.

Or I'll chuck a North Korean Nuclear fit............Smiley LOL  J/K

Highlighted

Patience young Jedi.

Highlighted

The next update must be getting close?

Highlighted

I can nearly smell it

Highlighted

Only 1 day left Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted

Doh Smiley Surprised

Highlighted

Maybe they need to iron a few more wrinkles out of the software. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Trust me, I know it's coming.

Highlighted

So's Christmas! Which do you think will get here first? Aiming for April my a***! Telstra has had, what, 10 months (ish) to do this. How many tests do they have to run? It's a T-Hub, not a nuclear reactor!
Highlighted

Hi all, just wondering if there's any news on when we will be getting the ICS update?

Highlighted

Well its time I pulled my expections to the floor so I don't keep getting dissapointed by this piece of junk. I'm very sorry to have spent $350 on what is essentiallya wasste of space that will end up in the next council kerbside collection. It's very limited in speed and memory, is useless for browsing the web and skyping, and has held out the promise of an upgrade that I thought may have made it more tolerable, but no - it seems thats a mirage.

Its basically a $350 clock as far I'm concerned.

To others looking - stay clear of this - spend the same money on an ipad mini or a real tablet with a contemporary operating system version and some real useability.

Sorry - but thats the way I feel, I could have spent this money on a nice family dinner out and a real phone

Highlighted

If you wanted a tablet instead of a landline phone,  why didn't you just go out and buy one.

It's a LANDLINE PHONE with Android features.

To others looking, if you want a cheap Tablet, to do Skype, play games and CPU intense stuff, go to Aldi's and buy one.

If you want a landline and NBN capable phone that also does interesting Android driven things, the T-Hub 2 is fine.  Just don't buy it to play big Android games on it.

BTW, the ICS software is rolling out. It's not a mirage.

Highlighted

Rolling out to who and when? You mean IS rolling out NOW or WILL BE rolling out "in the coming months"?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

An upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich has now become available to a group of T-Hub 2 customers. We will make it progressively available to customers over the coming weeks. To read more about the upgrade and the changes that are being introduced you may want to check out the post in Crowd Support.

Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up Thubby much appreciated. Smiley Wink

Saves me looking everyday for the update. Smiley LOL

Highlighted

Well it wasn't sold to us that way by the Telstra rep in the store - it was marketed as "way more than a phone - a device we could use as a tablet for apps, games and Skype" We specifically wanted something my wife could use to surf the web and skype her mum. As it turned out the skype quality (specifically the sound) is very substandard to the point that she cannot use it (her voice sounds scratchy and distorted at the other end). The unit we have has run out of storage, this despite the only real app we have downloaded being firefox. It seems our machine now that I look at it, may have the wrong spec as the advertising says it has 2G internal storage, ours looks like it does not have 2G.

And this from the Telstra site itself:

"Imagine if someone combined the very best features of a home phone and a tablet. Well we did, and it’s called the T-Hub 2. This is so much more than just a phone: it’s an essential part of any connected home and it’s been designed to make your life easier.

With its touch screen operation and cordless handset, it’s easier than ever to keep in touch, browse the net and stay organised. It’s jam-packed with features that will amaze you and your family....and make you wonder how you ever did without it.

It’s also powered by Android™ and that means easy access to Google, email plus some of the latest games and applications from the Google Play™ Store. The T-Hub 2 is the smarter phone for your connected home. Find out more about Telstra’s Connected Home.

The T-Hub 2 has a host of pre-loaded features to keep you organised and entertained like calendar, email, internet radio and a camera. If those aren’t enough you can download other Android apps from the Google Play store."

It's hardly being advertised as a landline phone - c'mon - this was consistent with the pitch we got from the rep when we debated with him whether we should buy an Ipad mini or get the T-Hub 2, he said the T-hub would be a better solution.

Anyway - I shall stop ranting as life is too short - but I maintain my view that this product's capabilities were oversold to us, and it has not met our expectations.

Highlighted

Ok ok - I got the update late tonight - upgrade process was very slick, memory issues look to be dealt with. Overall at first glance, this update looks very good - would have been great 6 months ago but hey - Smiley Happy

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit