Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Data cost

Answered

Hi,

I've only used a (Samsung) tablet till now on WiFi.  Going away however and bought a sim card to connect to 3/4G or whatever.  My first day of usage was huge (relatively).

What's the best way to buy data (for maps etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Data cost

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help.

Since talking, I went to the nearby Telstra shop and discussed options.  I've taken another sim card with share access to my phone for  $6 extra pm; provides far more than I'll ever need - I think.  We'll see how it goes.  Sounds right..

Appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Gday Peter. Great Tablets the Samsung. You say you have already bought a 3g/4g sim for the tablet. What sort of sim did you buy, on a plan or is it a pre-paid sim card and what was the data arrangement with it?

Oh, and how long do you anticipate travelling, a month, 2, 3...?

sig

]

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Highlighted

Hi Dean,

Thanks for the reply - also the first time I've used this system.

Going away for about 5 weeks into Central Qld.

I actually didn't separately buy the sim card for the Tablet - it was in a car phone in a Mercedes I just sold, so only used for the odd phone call to/from the car. So I don't think it is on any plan, just a pay as you go on my phone account.

Peter

Highlighted

No problem Peter, you're doing well.

So it's a pre-paid sim card by the sounds of it.

Assuming that you have used the sim during the past 6 months it would still be an active card, if they aren't used or recharged within 6 months they become deactivated.

Obvously you would be taking advantage of free Wifi where ever possible, so it really comes back to how much you feel you'll be using the maps.

Take a look at the following link  http://www.telstra.com.au/tablets/prepaid-for-tablets/ scroll down the page and you'll see the data recharges that are specifically recomended for tablets.

5 weeks, 35 days, give yourself a little lee way with what you choose, I'd say you should be considering bewtee the $50 - 4gig and $100 - 10 gig plans.  Days wise they offer you plenty of room incase you decide to take an extra week or two on your trip.

If however you went for the lower b$30 - 2ig 30day charge, you could always re-charge again during your trip.

sig

Tabcharge.png 

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your help.

Since talking, I went to the nearby Telstra shop and discussed options.  I've taken another sim card with share access to my phone for  $6 extra pm; provides far more than I'll ever need - I think.  We'll see how it goes.  Sounds right..

Appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Well that's good Peter. Of course if all else had failed to impress I was going to offer my services as your personal in vehicle navigator, at a price of course... Smiley Very Happy Loevely country around Central Queensland, know it well.

Have a great trip.

sig

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit