Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Extreme Incompetence

I would have to say that the people I have dealt with at Telstra have been absolutely incompetent!

Wednesday – I call up and change my mobile plan and order a new iPad with 4GB plan

Friday – iPad arrives with a welcome letter stating the the SIM is already active but to call if there are any issues.

Friday Night – No service on SIM so I call up. Lady on the phone tells me that she will have it activated and it will take 4-8 hours.

Saturday – Get up, no service still. I go into a Telstra shop. I find out that the order is stuck in "pending" and that there is absolutely nothing they can do. Wait 48hrs is the response, followed with "You should have just bought from the shop instead of over the phone"

Sunday – Still no service

Monday (Today) – Still no service so I call back again. The lady on the phone takes all the details and, WOW, I now have service!

Monday Lunch – I check my phone, no service. I fear something wrong so call Telstra again. It now appears that the lady I spoke to earlier has transferred my mobile number onto the SIM designated for the iPad instead of simply activating the iPad. It would appear that the original SIM for my phone has been irrevocably cancelled!

Their solution, go to a Telstra shop AGAIN and get a new SIM. I explain that I cant do that because I am at work, wont finish in time to get there before closing, am travelling interstate on Thursday. I wont be able to go to a Telstra shop for about 2 weeks. Solution, we will process a whole new order for you, but it wont be delivered for about 5 business days.

Again, I will be without it for about 2 weeks.

Conclusion.... after being on the phone for OVER 3 HOURS across multiple days, there is ZERO acknowledgement that they made a mistake, ZERO accountability or effort to get my services running before I travel interstate.

It makes me absolutely SICK that this kind of gross incompetence is so common place in the big corporations that it wont even be a blip on their radar, and we, as consumers, have no choice but to wear it.

Sigh......... now I have to go call the TIO to cancel these services as I will NOT be paying for services that have not been delivered, and I will NOT be held accountable for any early terminations!

To think, this could have been 100% avoided by simple attention and competence, or by getting a new SIM delivered with some sort of priority, rather than simply treating it like a new sale!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Extreme Incompetence

@Wizz-Fizz wrote:

I would have to say that the people I have dealt with at Telstra have been absolutely incompetent!

Wednesday – I call up and change my mobile plan and order a new iPad with 4GB plan

Friday – iPad arrives with a welcome letter stating the the SIM is already active but to call if there are any issues.

Friday Night – No service on SIM so I call up. Lady on the phone tells me that she will have it activated and it will take 4-8 hours.

Saturday – Get up, no service still. I go into a Telstra shop. I find out that the order is stuck in "pending" and that there is absolutely nothing they can do. Wait 48hrs is the response, followed with "You should have just bought from the shop instead of over the phone"

Sunday – Still no service

Monday (Today) – Still no service so I call back again. The lady on the phone takes all the details and, WOW, I now have service!

Monday Lunch – I check my phone, no service. I fear something wrong so call Telstra again. It now appears that the lady I spoke to earlier has transferred my mobile number onto the SIM designated for the iPad instead of simply activating the iPad. It would appear that the original SIM for my phone has been irrevocably cancelled!

Not the best experience :-( and I can see your frustration.

Wizz-Fizz wrote: 

Their solution, go to a Telstra shop AGAIN and get a new SIM. I explain that I cant do that because I am at work, wont finish in time to get there before closing, am travelling interstate on Thursday. I wont be able to go to a Telstra shop for about 2 weeks. Solution, we will process a whole new order for you, but it wont be delivered for about 5 business days.

There is very little that can be done. SIM cards are "One Use Only" and therefore can't be re-activated. I think the solutions they offerred you, whilst they stuffed up, were fair and reasonable.

Wizz-Fizz wrote: 

Conclusion.... after being on the phone for OVER 3 HOURS across multiple days, there is ZERO acknowledgement that they made a mistake, ZERO accountability or effort to get my services running before I travel interstate.

I can't comment on Acknolwedgement or on Accountability, however the solution that the individual proposed (ie: Get a SIM card from a place that stocks them) is fair. Have you tried calling the store to see if they can stay open a bit longer for you to rush and get one? I know that when I worked in the Retail channel there was usually someone there about an hour after "closing time".

Wizz-Fizz wrote: 

Sigh......... now I have to go call the TIO to cancel these services as I will NOT be paying for services that have not been delivered, and I will NOT be held accountable for any early terminations!

To think, this could have been 100% avoided by simple attention and competence, or by getting a new SIM delivered with some sort of priority, rather than simply treating it like a new sale!

Think about Postal delivery times? Its likely that if they posted it that it wouldn't have arrived in time due to the Postal System if anything.

Agree that there was a mistake made. What I might suggest, is when you go interstate is to get the SIM card at the nearest Telstra Store or Dealer and call them back to request activation.

The TIO won't handle the cancellation charges until you have told Telstra that you want out of your contract. They will probably ask for the return of the iPad and cancel the services. You can lodge a complaint using many methods, by visiting http://www.telstra.com.au/complaints

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

No offence but if it was as simple as walking into a Telstra shop and getting a new SIM, i would have simply done that.

1 - Nearest Telstra shop is 30-45 minutes away.... double that due to after work traffic if I was to go straight after work

2 - The nearest Telstra shop to me is inside a shopping centre making it highly unlikely that they could stay open if they wanted to

3 - My interstate trip is for a work project. The work project is approximately 100 km from any telstra shop making it next to impossible to go to a telstra shop.

All of which I explained to the 5 people I spoke to at Telstra therefore, I do NOT think that their "effort" to resolve their mistake was any where near sufficient!

Postal time is nothing if they actually use a courier.

I know they use couriers as my iPad from them arrived via AAE (Australian Air Express)

I do appreciate your input and advice, but in this instance I dont believe that Telstra have come anywhere near meeting their obligations in accordance with their side of the contract

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@Wizz-Fizz wrote:

1 - Nearest Telstra shop is 30-45 minutes away.... double that due to after work traffic if I was to go straight after work

Not within Telstra's Control

@Wizz-Fizz wrote:

2 - The nearest Telstra shop to me is inside a shopping centre making it highly unlikely that they could stay open if they wanted to

Not within Telstra's Control

@Wizz-Fizz wrote:

3 - My interstate trip is for a work project. The work project is approximately 100 km from any telstra shop making it next to impossible to go to a telstra shop.

Not within Telstra's control, although I am surprised that you are so far away from a Telstra store, where are you working Smiley Surprised

Wizz-Fizz wrote: 

All of which I explained to the 5 people I spoke to at Telstra therefore, I do NOT think that their "effort" to resolve their mistake was any where near sufficient!

Considering the factors you raised are all outside of the control of Telstra (at this point in time) I believe they offerred you a reasonable solution. That being said, the situation shouldn't have come up to begin with.

@Wizz-Fizz wrote:

Postal time is nothing if they actually use a courier.

I know they use couriers as my iPad from them arrived via AAE (Australian Air Express)

Which, considering the Packing and dispatch time, can take up to 5 days. I actually think the delivery is Outsourced (ie: they put the request to a third party who actions it within agreed timeframes).

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit