Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one

Hi

 

I have iPhone 4 and really interested in iPad but from what I read it is just a bigger version of the iPhone (without the function of call/voice features).  Can someone provide me with more info so can make up mind if it worth it or not.

 

Thanks

Was this helpful?

  • Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one

I own both (and iPhone and an iPad) and a Macbook.

 

The size of the iphone allows the creation of apps that are better suited to the bigger screen. I use my iPad as a laptop replacement where I don't want to lug my laptop around, and I use my iPhone for quick updates.

 

Quietly, the games look heaps better on the iPad too Smiley Wink

 

B.

----------------------------


New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one

Honestly there isn't a real benifiet, the iPad is just a novelty device for games.

Most justify it by say that they like the bigger screen for web browsing, but these days you can just get yourself a Android phone with a larger screen and then the problem is solved.

It's not that good for ebooks as is still has an LCD display instead of the e-ink displays on ebook readers.

If you want it for watching videos, then it will work good, keep in mind you can't fit many videos on 16GB so you might want to look at a bigger one. Also there are other tablets out there that will be better for videos as they with have USB ports for extra storage, microSD cards for extra storage, 16:9 screen ratio, better screens etc.. etc...

 

I my personal opinion, i wouldn't buy one.

 

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


dunners wrote:

Honestly there isn't a real benifiet, the iPad is just a novelty device for games.


I don't play games on my iPad, actually, but I use it to review and edit spreadsheets, presentations, etc. and it's just not something I'd want to do on a device with a four-inch screen – both in terms of viewing and typing – if I can avoid it.

Most justify it by say that they like the bigger screen for web browsing, but these days you can just get yourself a Android phone with a larger screen and then the problem is solved.
Justify to whom? It's not as if spending hard-earned money on gadgets, that I think is a pleasure to have and use, requires justification. I like it, I want it, and I can afford it, then I buy it.

 

I have many devices – including a variety of mobile phones, (Android) tablets, and netbooks – that are quite portable and usable for Web browsing inside and out of the house, but I find myself using the iPad most often becuase I simply enjoy the browsing experience best on it.

It's not that good for ebooks as is still has an LCD display instead of the e-ink displays on ebook readers.
Not only do I think the reading experience for any publication is inferior on an e-ink display –primarily because of the way those screens transition from one page to another, but also because of the lower resolution – but try reading technical volumes with lots of diagrams on an e-ink display, and you'll get a taste of hell.

If you want it for watching videos, then it will work good, keep in mind you can't fit many videos on 16GB so you might want to look at a bigger one.
Just stream from a media server, and on-device storage is not an issue.

Also there are other tablets out there that will be better for videos as they with have USB ports for extra storage, microSD cards for extra storage, 16:9 screen ratio, better screens etc.. etc...
If you actually have a need or use for the expansion capabilities, then those are fair considerations. I've not personally come across any current (or past) generation tablets with better screens than that on the new iPad, however. Even the ASUS Transformer Infinity, which I long waited for since before the new iPad was announced, doesn't offer a better screen in terms of either pixel density or display technology (e.g. for outdoor readabilitty in daylight).

I my personal opinion, i wouldn't buy one.
That's fair enough. I never liked Apple as a company, but the new iPad impressed me so much, I bought not just one but two of them, and gave one to my girlfriend because she equally values how well it suits the purposes to which we're likely to put the devices. If we happen to need such things as a microSD card slot to read something off a card, then we pull out one of our Android tablets – or just use a netbook.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


@Drat wrote:

I don't play games on my iPad, actually, but I use it to review and edit spreadsheets, presentations, etc. and it's just not something I'd want to do on a device with a four-inch screen – both in terms of viewing and typing – if I can avoid it.


Would you say that the majority of users don't use thier iPad to play games (most of the time) i rarely see one getting used for anything else. Who said you had to have a 4 inch display..? Samsung alone has 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.3, 7 and 7.7 inch screens each of them fine for reading and editing spreadsheets, presentations etc..

The main reason people use their iPad for these purposes is because they own an iPhone and the 3.5 inch display is way to small for editing documents.

 

 

Justify to whom? It's not as if spending hard-earned money on gadgets, that I think is a pleasure to have and use, requires justification. I like it, I want it, and I can afford it, then I buy it.

 

This thread was about "what extra does an iPad offer" not about if i want it and can afford it then i buy it. The point i rasied is that alot of people will say that an iPad offers a larger screen, and i said you can get a larger screen on your phone instead. I don't know how "I like it, I want it, and I can afford it, then I buy it." relates to this point..?

 

I have many devices – including a variety of mobile phones, (Android) tablets, and netbooks – that are quite portable and usable for Web browsing inside and out of the house, but I find myself using the iPad most often becuase I simply enjoy the browsing experience best on it.

Your telling me that an iPad offers a better browing experience than a Laptop...? If thats the case i know your lying. Maybe more portable browsing experience but definately not 'best browsing experience".

Not only do I think the reading experience for any publication is inferior on an e-ink display –primarily because of the way those screens transition from one page to another, but also because of the lower resolution – but try reading technical volumes with lots of diagrams on an e-ink display, and you'll get a taste of hell.
 Try reading a long book on an eInk display, i don't know of a single reviewer who says that they prefer the LCD displays. After a while it makes most peoples eyes sore just like a computer monitor. My point here was that if you want to read books there are better devices. Not everyone reads "picture books" i'm guessing that the majority of books read on ereaders are novels.

Just stream from a media server, and on-device storage is not an issue.

 

Lets think for the moment when are you going to be watching movies the most..? Maybe on an plane..? Overseas..? Or a train to work..? For the train to work thats fine if you want to stream your content but you had better get a very big data cap. On a plane or Overseas what do you suggest..? Overseas prepaid data will be expensive and on a plane you need flight mode enabled. Hence why having extra storage would be a plus. My point here was that if you do want to get an iPad for videos get one with more storage than 16GB i thought that would be helpful advice.

If you actually have a need or use for the expansion capabilities, then those are fair considerations. I've not personally come across any current (or past) generation tablets with better screens than that on the new iPad, however. Even the ASUS Transformer Infinity, which I long waited for since before the new iPad was announced, doesn't offer a better screen in terms of either pixel density or display technology (e.g. for outdoor readabilitty in daylight).

 

What about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 - AMOLED with a high pixel density, better outdoor readbility, blacker blacks more colourful colours. Excellent screen

That's fair enough. I never liked Apple as a company, but the new iPad impressed me so much, I bought not just one but two of them, and gave one to my girlfriend because she equally values how well it suits the purposes to which we're likely to put the devices. If we happen to need such things as a microSD card slot to read something off a card, then we pull out one of our Android tablets – or just use a netbook.
Thats great but this article isnt about you, the OP was asking for advice and i gave them my honest opinion. I guessing by the fact that they don't have an iPad yet it would mean the the OP doesn't have hundreds of dollars to spend buying multiple tablets, multiple phones, netbooks and laptops. I feel for the OP that they wouldn't get enough benefit out of the iPad unless they were planning on using it mostly for games so i laid down my recommendation. I don't know once again how your multiple devices relate to my point or the OP..?

 

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


dunners wrote:
Would you say that the majority of users don't use thier iPad to play games (most of the time) i rarely see one getting used for anything else. Who said you had to have a 4 inch display..? Samsung alone has 4.3, 4.5, 4.8, 5.3, 7 and 7.7 inch screens each of them fine for reading and editing spreadsheets, presentations etc..

I don't know the majority of iPad users, and I'm guessing neither do you. From the usage I have personally witnessed, the incidence of using an iPad for business/communication/media content consumption is far higher than for interactive games.


This thread was about "what extra does an iPad offer" not about if i want it and can afford it then i buy it.

And my reply was all about the delightful and/or pleasurable user experience it offers, in the applications that I mentioned. The quality of the experience is the value, and if I can afford the device, then that is all the ‘justification’ that I need for myself. The O.P. used the word ‘justifying’ in his/her chosen thread title, and hence I asked, “Justify to whom?” Liking something, wanting something (for the user experience) and being able to afford it are my key criteria, and I suggest he/she could consider same.


Your telling me that an iPad offers a better browing experience than a Laptop...? If thats the case i know your lying.

How dare you accuse me of lying! Robot LOL I personally think browsing on the iPad is a better experience than on any of my netbooks and laptops, and I currently have four of those in different sizes, from different manufacturers, and running different operating systems. The new iPad is the device I mostly frequently reach for when I want to settle down in my chair and browse the Web, even though all the other alternatives are available to me. QED


Try reading a long book on an eInk display, i don't know of a single reviewer who says that they prefer the LCD displays. After a while it makes most peoples eyes sore just like a computer monitor. My point here was that if you want to read books there are better devices. Not everyone reads "picture books" i'm guessing that the majority of books read on ereaders are novels.

I wouldn't call the tomes and volumes of technical books that I read “picture books”, and no, e-ink displays are not better devices on which to read them in my view. If you want to assume the O.P.'s perspective, then perhaps you should be asking what he/she intends to read on it. Otherwise, please feel free to speak from your personal experience, but refrain from thinking that it invalidates anyone else's.

 

By the way, I happily read for hours on my new iPad and my eyes don't get sore from it, and I don't think my physiology is unique in that way.


What about the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 - AMOLED with a high pixel density, better outdoor readbility, blacker blacks more colourful colours. Excellent screen

I haven't used one personally. And how does that particular piece of information (about the SGT 7.7) answer the O.P.'s question of what the iPad offers that his/her iPhone 4 doesn't?


Thats great but this article isnt about you, the OP was asking for advice and i gave them my honest opinion.

As did I.

 

It's equally not about your personal preferences. Read the O.P. again: The comparison is between the iPhone 4 and the iPad, and not which tablet on the market is best. You can start by comparing doing things on a mobile phone handset as opposed to a tablet. All the features that relate to specific Android tablets are irrelevant, not the least with regard to microSD card slots, etc.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


Drat wrote:

 

I don't know the majority of iPad users, and I'm guessing neither do you. From the usage I have personally witnessed, the incidence of using an iPad for business/communication/media content consumption is far higher than for interactive games.

 

 

Thats fine, the majority of iPads i have seen used are used for Games, Most people i talk to who have iPads admit the reason they have them is for the games. Obviously we come from two completely different cultues.

 

And my reply was all about the delightful and/or pleasurable user experience it offers, in the applications that I mentioned. The quality of the experience is the value, and if I can afford the device, then that is all the ‘justification’ that I need for myself. The O.P. used the word ‘justifying’ in his/her chosen thread title, and hence I asked, “Justify to whom?” Liking something, wanting something (for the user experience) and being able to afford it are my key criteria, and I suggest he/she could consider same.

 

Your response was "It's not as if spending hard-earned money on gadgets, that I think is a pleasure to have and use, requires justification. I like it, I want it, and I can afford it, then I buy it.". In other words if i can afford it i should buy it.

I agree, if YOU like one, and if YOU want one, and if YOU can afford one then buy one. But this has nothing to do with my response or the OP's question.

 

 

 

How dare you accuse me of lying! Robot LOL I personally think browsing on the iPad is a better experience than on any of my netbooks and laptops, and I currently have four of those in different sizes, from different manufacturers, and running different operating systems. The new iPad is the device I mostly frequently reach for when I want to settle down in my chair and browse the Web, even though all the other alternatives are available to me. QED

 

Flash..? Split Screen Browsing..? Typing on forums such as this..? Need i say more..?

I wouldn't call the tomes and volumes of technical books that I read “picture books”, and no, e-ink displays are not better devices on which to read them in my view. If you want to assume the O.P.'s perspective, then perhaps you should be asking what he/she intends to read on it. Otherwise, please feel free to speak from your personal experience, but refrain from thinking that it invalidates anyone else's.

 

By the way, I happily read for hours on my new iPad and my eyes don't get sore from it, and I don't think my physiology is unique in that way.

 

As i said, i feel its pretty safe to say that the majority of books read on electronic devices aren't volumes of technical books with pictures. It would be pretty safe to say that novels would be a popular favorite. In which case many people prefer eReaders. Would you like to direct you to reviews specifically specifying that for long periods of reading eInk screens are prefered..? If you dont get sore eye's looking at a computer screen all day great for you alot of us others (more than likely including the OP) do get sore eyes.

 

I haven't used one personally. And how does that particular piece of information (about the SGT 7.7) answer the O.P.'s question of what the iPad offers that his/her iPhone 4 doesn't?

 

The reason i specified the SGT7.7 was purely because you specified "I've not personally come across any current (or past) generation tablets with better screens than that on the new iPad" which i find to be false

 

As did I.

 

It's equally not about your personal preferences. Read the O.P. again: The comparison is between the iPhone 4 and the iPad, and not which tablet on the market is best. You can start by comparing doing things on a mobile phone handset as opposed to a tablet. All the features that relate to specific Android tablets are irrelevant, not the least with regard to microSD card slots, etc.

 

I never said which tablet is best, i said if you want it for games fine, if you want it for an eBook try an ereader, if you want it for videos get a model with more than 16GB or look at the market as there are other options. Personally i don't think he needs one. That is what i said, i didn't think it was that difficult to comprehend.

Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


dunners wrote:

The reason i specified the SGT7.7 was purely because you specified "I've not personally come across any current (or past) generation tablets with better screens than that on the new iPad" which i find to be false


If you think you're in a position to decide whether my statements about my personal experience are true or false, then I'll leave you to your vivid imagination, and stop wasting my time.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one

As the original poster wanting some opinions about justifying to myself whether I should get one and if it provided anything extra....the banter here got me totally confused.  In the end after sourcing other opinions from elsewhere I decided for what I want to use it for it suits me and have ordered it through telstra. 

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


@tvh75 wrote:

As the original poster wanting some opinions about justifying to myself whether I should get one and if it provided anything extra....the banter here got me totally confused.  In the end after sourcing other opinions from elsewhere I decided for what I want to use it for it suits me and have ordered it through telstra. 


I'm sorry it reached that point. Its common on these forums, can I ask you where you got your info from? would be good to see arguments for and against?

 

B.

----------------------------


New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain

Re: Have iPhone 4 and want iPad - what extras does iPad offer - justifying getting one


@Drat wrote:

If you think you're in a position to decide whether my statements about my personal experience are true or false, then I'll leave you to your vivid imagination, and stop wasting my time.


So my personal opinion or experience counts for nothing..? sorry my mistake. It's good to know that only the "Honoured Contributers" opinions are the ones that matter. I shall forward that on to anyone else who wishes to contribute to these forums.

 

Remember it started with the OP asking for peoples experience and opinions, I stated mine you and could have stated yours and left it at that. Instead you decided to try and discredit minet, forgetting that everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

 

The end product, you get upset at me, i'm disappointed with you and the OP had to find his answer elsewhere. Well done.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit