Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Help wanted - can't send bigpond.net email from ipad in US - sender rejected by server

Help wanted - can't send bigpond.net email from ipad in US - sender rejected by server and my gmail account recipient rejected by server

I'm  overseas in USA with ipad connected to AT&T and am having problems sending mail from my bigpond.net.au email account.

I receive mail fine but sending has

- email sender (that's ME) rejected by server or

- recipient rejected by sender - when I send to my google account

my ipad email settings are (I'm bigpond.net.au, and no in Windows live)

INCOMING TAB IN SETTINGS

- incoming mail server  mail.bigpond.com

- user name

- password

OUTGOING TAB IN SETTINGS

outgoing mail server (SMTP)      mail.bigpond.com

ADVANCED TAB IN SETTINGS

- SSL turned off

- authentication - password

- Server port - 110    when I tried to enter 25 then bigpond incoming server rejected the change

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Help wanted - can't send bigpond.net email from ipad in US - sender rejected by server

I don't think the BigPond SMTP server will let you send/relay messages when you connect to it from a foreign – as in non-Telstra – network. (Lathania and QwertFu, you guys are probably more knowledgeable than me on this, so please correct me if I'm mistaken.) If you must send mail from your BigPond e-mail address, I suggest you use BigPond Webmail in a web browser on your iPad.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

Re: Help wanted - can't send bigpond.net email from ipad in US - sender rejected by server

Morning all.

This problem is not caused by the bigpond servers, but by the foreign network. It is common for all ISP's (including those over mobile networks) to block SMTP Port 25 to help limit the amount of SPAM email comming from their networks. This means you can only send unsecured email via the ISP's mail server. Try changing the outgoing server to AT&T's. From their knowledge base it should be " smtp.mymmode.com ". Information for setting this up on iPhone/iPad can be found here.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Oztony wrote:

Help wanted - can't send bigpond.net email from ipad in US - sender rejected by server and my gmail account recipient rejected by server

I'm  overseas in USA with ipad connected to AT&T and am having problems sending mail from my bigpond.net.au email account.

You may be able to fix this by changing your "Outgoing" settings in your mail client to tell it that your outgoing server requires authentication. Then put in your standard bigpond credentials in there.

BigPond usually authorises you to send email on behalf of yourself because you're coming in over a BigPond connection so they know who you are and can track you down if you do evil things. From outside the country, you could be anybody pretending to be you. By adding that authentication bit, you once again confirm who you are.

Of course, if this is AT&T intercepting port 25 and redirecting it to their own servers instead of the BP one you're asking for, that's not the reason. Using their outgoing server might work but they may still prevent you sending from a BP address. Depends. Try both solutions and see how you go.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Oztony wrote:

I receive mail fine but sending has

- email sender (that's ME) rejected by server or

- recipient rejected by sender - when I send to my google account

KrayzeeKev wrote:

Of course, if this is AT&T intercepting port 25 and redirecting it to their own servers instead of the BP one you're asking for,

Ah, that's the bit I didn't think of; I thought if the network was blocking outbound traffic for port 25, then the O.P. would not be getting a rejection response from the server as reported.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 12: Master Detective

Yeah, it's one of those things. As far as I'm aware, as email is whipping round the internet over port 25 from mailserver to mailserver, it only takes one to decide that the originating IP address in the email header doesnt match the lookup of the originating mail server. It will reject it and send the reply. Fix is always to use the ISP's mail server for anything that uses port 25 (default SMTP port no SSL), authenticated or not. That's my understanding anyway.

I'm glad I can offer help, but please note all posts are my personal advice or opinion and do not necessarily reflect the view or policy of Telstra.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jamesjones,

If you are using the settings as shown in this two year old thread, then you are using information that is out of date. I have moved your post to your own thread and will have the other thread closed.

Your email program should be configured with the settings found when you log into this link:  http://bigpond.com/email-status

I find that setting the Outgoing encryption to Auto is the best option.

Let me know how you go.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jupiter,

With the new settings for the mail.bigpond.com servers now requiring outgoing authentication and using alternate ports, this should no longer be an issue.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Like many others I have had perennial problems sending email from my bigpond.net.au account when I am away from home.

Telstra may like to blame oversea's isps for blocking emails BUT my wife in Melbourne last week couldn't send emails (we use diferent email names on the same account). Last year in Townsville Telstra phone support said the hotel I was in must be using one of their competitiors. I checked with the manager & guess what, the hotel was a Telstra customer.

I am sitting in Stockholm absolutely fuming - tried all changes recommended by Telstra & have come to the conclusion that they do not really know what they are doing & the ONLY solution is to ditch my Bigpond account & use gmail.

I accept spam is a real issue for all Isps but I do strongly believe that Telstra has not been able to provide a viable service for travellers.

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

@RayR, I will shortly be locking this thread to prevent further replies. As Shelly mentioned above this is a very old thread and much of the information is no longer relevant.

Please ensure that you are using the settings outlined here https://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Set-Up/IMAP-POP-and-SMTP-information-for-manual-email-setup/ta-p/3... when setting up your email for use on another network or overseas.

The issues that customers often experienced before was due to the mail server using port 25, which is no longer the case. Customers should not have difficulty using email for this reason any longer.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit