Lauri53
Level 1: Cadet

How can I get internet on my wifi only tablet away from home

I recently bought a lenovo tablet which is connected to home wifi I assumed if I got a sim card I could use it elsewhere but Telstra informed me it is wifi only surely there is a product to use it away from home

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How can I get internet on my wifi only tablet away from home

You can use your phone as a mobile hotspot and connect the tablet to the phones WiFi. If you don't have a smart phone with excess data allowance you can buy a 4G WiFi modem. There are some examples at link below. Note the USB WiFi dongle does not have a battery and needs a USB power source.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/search?cm_mmc=GoogleSmiley FrustratedEM:Always_On:Brand|OW|Branding|P...

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

have a look on eBay etc. for a E8372 device, these will plug into a USB port on any device or charge and provide a local Wi-Fi router (up to 5 devices)..  you will need a Mobile Broadband SIM of course (I think the device below includes a SIM to get you started)...  prepaid is good if it is only casual use.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Huawei-E8372-USB-Wifi-4GX-4G-TELSTRA-Mobile-Broadband-DONGLE-AU-STOCK-DA...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Smiley3
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

@SteveW_52,

The Lenovo TABLET doesn't have a usb port....so where do you suggest the E8372 dongle device be plugged in for WiFi service while away from home?

Would be a hassle having to look for a usb port wherever you go to use the Lenovo TABLET.

I am NOT a Telstra employee and never have been. However, I AM a customer who volunteer's my time in the hope to help someone with their question.
To show your appreciation to myself or another member, please click on the LIKE or mark as a SOLUTION for any post that you have found helpful on this forum.
SteveW_52

A charger with a USB port, even a TV or some other device - it only needs USB for power. I don't go anywhere without one of those devices..  they are very handy. I never connect it my lappy, it is plugged into a charger at whichever poerpoint is best for 4G signal.

Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit