m2mevans
Level 1: Cadet

iPad 2 3G Problem

Hello, last year I bought and iPad 2 64 GB with 3G and I used it mostly on wifi so I dicided to turn mobile data of so I could just use wifi without 3G charges and now when I try to use my sim it says SOS only and I do have a high signal of 5 bars in my area cause I have an iPhone and it picks up 5 bars of signal but anyway its like Telstra disconnects you when you don't pay for credit but if you are using wifi most the time and only using 3G when you are away what is the point of having the service connected because all they will do is disconnect your servie well if you have any answers to this it would be much appreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
allinone
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: iPad 2 3G Problem

Hope this helps

@m2mevans wrote:
Hello, last year I bought and iPad 2 64 GB with 3G and I used it mostly on wifi so I dicided to turn mobile data of so I could just use wifi without 3G charges and now when I try to use my sim it says SOS only
Hello m2mevans I had an iPad without a microsim and it worked great on wifi and also showed Telstra without a sim as the service provider. But is you have no service or credit SOS would show like a mobile phone when your provider has no coverage you can use other provider for emergency calls only. Unfortunately the iPad will not make mobile network calls as far as I can tell as it does not connect to the cellular voice network.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@m2mevans wrote:
Hello, last year I bought and iPad 2 64 GB with 3G and I used it mostly on wifi so I dicided to turn mobile data of so I could just use wifi without 3G charges and now when I try to use my sim it says SOS only and I do have a high signal of 5 bars in my area cause I have an iPhone and it picks up 5 bars of signal but anyway its like Telstra disconnects you when you don't pay for credit but if you are using wifi most the time and only using 3G when you are away what is the point of having the service connected because all they will do is disconnect your servie well if you have any answers to this it would be much appreciated

Hi M2Mevans and welcome to CrowdSupport.

What I understand is that you had a Pre-Paid MicroSIM for iPad, and you haven't recharged it and now it says SOS.

As there is still a cost to Telstra to keep that service active in their system, Telstra de-activates Pre-Paid SIM cards after 6 months of $0 credit on the service.

That SIM card is basically shot, so I would suggest popping into your nearest Telstra Store/Dealer and picking up a new starter kit. I personally recharge $150 which lasts me a whole year (10GB for 12 months).

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

m2mevans wrote:
…but anyway its like Telstra disconnects you when you don't pay for credit…

That is the case, as one would reasonably expect, and not just ‘like’ what you have stated. You cannot have an active mobile service put on standby for you, ready for use whenever you want, without paying for such in a ‘use-it-or-lose-it’ manner. There simply isn't enough incentive for service providers to offer an always-ready service, effectively free of charge until you decide to use it (for extremely low consumption volumes and hence revenue).

…if you are using wifi most the time and only using 3G when you are away what is the point of having the service connected…

Only if you need the 3G service to be ready all the time. Otherwise, you should wait until you need the service, and then go through the process of acquiring a new Pre-Paid micro-SIM, get a service provisioned and activated, recharge it with an amount that corresponds best to your immediate need, and then use it up before it expires. (You may expect some sort of lead time or delay, so plan accordingly before the need for the service is at hand.) Rinse and repeat next time you need the service, if a long enough time has elapsed since last use.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit