Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

ipad 3 mail settings - help please

Hi Everyone

Am trying to set up a new ipad (latest model)  for my ma - thought i had it working but alas i dont Smiley Sad

Background:

I have set up her iphone 4S with mail settings and its working fine

iphone settings are:

Mail Server Type: POP

Incoming Mail Server: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com

Username: Full Bigpond Email Address (example@bigpond.com)

Password: Self-Explanatory

then i tried to do the same for the ipad

Incoming Mail Server: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com

Username: Full Bigpond Email Address (example@bigpond.com)

Password: Self-Explanatory

Error message I get is "your password or email address is not correct" - which i have tripled checked and yes it is correct!

So what am i doing wrong? any help would be appreciated please.

Thanks

Georgina

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: ipad 3 mail settings - help please

@gwgemini wrote:

Hi Everyone

Am trying to set up a new ipad (latest model)  for my ma - thought i had it working but alas i dont Smiley Sad

Background:

I have set up her iphone 4S with mail settings and its working fine

iphone settings are:

then i tried to do the same for the ipad

Error message I get is "your password or email address is not correct" - which i have tripled checked and yes it is correct!

Firstly, a warning - if you put the same POP account on two devices, as each one retrieves email, it will delete it from the server. And so the other one won't be able to get it. Which means the iPhone and iPad will each have SOME of the email but not all.

Second thing is - do you have the 3G iPad or just WiFi? And are you on a BigPond broadband connection if using the WiFi? And when are you getting that error? When trying to retrieve email or when trying to send?

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Am trying to set up a new ipad (latest model)  for my ma

Is that a ‘Wi-Fi + Cellular’ model, in which you're using a Telstra Pre-Paid Micro-SIM for Apple iPad or a SIM for the Telstra (post-paid) Data+ Tablet plan to connect the unit to the Next G network, or is that a ‘Wi-Fi only’ model and you're trying to connect the uni to the Internet over your home broadband connection?

Can you please confirm that you can access this page:

http://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.do

on your iPad unit. After I've signed in, this is the page content I got:

Your mailbox has not yet been updated to Windows Live.

Bigpond/Telstra Service (i.e. ADSL, HFC, Mobile Broadband)

• Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 110
  • Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing SMTP: port 25
  • Incoming uses SSL: Off (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: Off (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Off

Edit: Beaten to the punch by Kev

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Hi Kevin - 3g ipad - & there's no wifi options at my mums place - she's just using the ipad thats all. iphone is on a telstra plan. getting the error message when i try to set up the mail on the ipad for the first time. how can i set it up to have email on both the iphone and ipad? or is it best to have it just on one? cheers Georgina
Highlighted

Hi Drat - hmm i havent tried that on the ipad - i did try this through the iphone and i got the same message as youve shown above
cheers
Georgina
Highlighted

Hi Drat - sorry i forgot to mention:
ipad is wifi + cellular and using a pre paid micro sim for ipad from telstra.
Highlighted

gwgemini wrote:
Hi Drat - hmm i havent tried that on the ipad - i did try this through the iphone and i got the same message as youve shown above

Part of the implicit question, in asking you to confirm the above on the iPad, was whether your iPad can access BigPond's servers correctly, or whether there may be Access Point Name (APN) issues that require some manual intervention, etc.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted

Hi Drat - OK i'll have to check that out tonight & get back to you (sorry i dont have the ipad with me atm) i do know that i can access the net and everything else (itunes store etc) OK from the ipad but i guess this is a more specific thing for the mail settings.

Cheers
Georgina
Highlighted

gwgemini wrote:
i do know that i can access the net and everything else (itunes store etc) OK from the ipad but i guess this is a more specific thing for the mail settings.

In which case you would be able to access the BigPond page linked to above, anyway, since it's not a component of the mail system itself.

I'll try on my iPad (when I get home) to see if it works for my BigPond account. (Normally all my BigPond mail is forwarded to a different account automatically, so I never have to connect to BigPond's POP3 mail server.)

——

Highlighted

Georgina,

I've now tried it on my (‘Wi-Fi only’ new iPad) unit, which is connected to the Internet using my Telstra Next G mobile as a personal hotspot, and set it up to successfully access my BigPond mail account by POP3 – the population of the mail server settings was automatic during set up.

Could you please try typing your password in the Name field, so that the characters appear in plain sight, check that it is correct, and then Cut (or Copy) to store the password on iOS' clipboard, and Paste it into the Password field, when you're setting up the mail account on your iPad?

I cannot think of any other reason why you would get the “your password or email address is not correct”.

——

Highlighted

hi there drat

I have the same issue, I have an ipad 3 and have been converted to windows live mail - and i also get the same error regarding my password - I have tried setting it up as a "other" type account to be able to enter the settings manually, but that doesnt work either. (so setting it up as a hotmail account using my email address does not work - setting it up as an "other" type account and entering the settings manually doesnt work)

besides this I  have also lost all my mail in the transition- and I still dont have an answer from Telstra as to why this is

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

@tricky65 wrote:

hi there drat

I have the same issue, I have an ipad 3 and have been converted to windows live mail - and i also get the same error regarding my password - I have tried setting it up as a "other" type account to be able to enter the settings manually, but that doesnt work either. (so setting it up as a hotmail account using my email address does not work - setting it up as an "other" type account and entering the settings manually doesnt work)

besides this I  have also lost all my mail in the transition- and I still dont have an answer from Telstra as to why this is

The reason yours doesn't work is because the password changed when your email address was migrated. Can you confirm you can access your email from outlook.com?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Actually I had already tried several times to change the password.. And it didnt work... But I have resolved it now.. Thanks

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi there i see you have a resolution to this problem i am currently experiencing the same issue and chance you could pass on your findingSmiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit