Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

MyTelstra App sign-in/sign-out

Answered

Concerns about the security of residual personal information displayed by MyTelstra App on 10.5” iPad Pro using iPadOS 13.5.1.

When I downloaded the MyTelstra App I had to enter my Telstra log-in details to register to use it.

It then displayed my Bigpond account name, Foxtel subscriber info, phone number, personal profile and amount of last Telstra bill.

Once signed in to the App, I could not find a way to sign-out. From then on, each time I closed the App down, all I had to do was tap on the Icon and it opened up and displayed my personal information again.

I found this a bit concerning and have since deleted the App.

I thought the first time I downloaded this App I saw an option to create a PIN  to secure my data but I didn’t take that option at the time and have never been able to find it since.

There were links within the App that went to Telstra sites that required further sign in and allowed sign-out from that site but I could not find a sign-out function for the App.

Is there a way to set up a four digit PIN Code to access the App and a LogOut function to secure it again. If so where are these functions.

The only ‘sign out’ function I could find was in Crowd Support.

I tried to use the messaging option within the App to ask ‘how do I log off from this App’ and all I got from Codi - Telstra’s Virtual Assistant, was ‘I cannot understand your question. Please re-phrase it and try again’

How many ways can you re-phrase ‘How do I log off?’

I think this ‘ Making it Easier ‘ App needs to have a bit more work done on it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: MyTelstra App sign-in/sign-out

Partial success.  

Found a statement in the Licence agreement on the App store that a PIN code could be set to protect data. 

Downloaded App and signed in again and found no such option in the initial ‘Complete your profile’ menu but eventually found it in a ‘Profile Management’ menu that opened up when I clicked ion the small ‘person’ icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Oddly, the only PIN code it would accept was my device PIN code.  Still, that at least works.

BUT. I still cannot find any Logout function.  Exiting the App does not cause Logout.

Merely tapping on the App again reopens it and exposes all personal data. 

So far, the only way I have found to Logout of the App is to press the Home button to EXIT  and then press the Home button twice to go to the screen that displays last used Apps and force close it by swiping it off the screen.

This is a pretty clunky way to logout.  A Logout option that is accessible from any screen within the App would seem a sensible option.

I am using this App on an iPad Pro using iPadOS 13.5.1

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Partial success.  

Found a statement in the Licence agreement on the App store that a PIN code could be set to protect data. 

Downloaded App and signed in again and found no such option in the initial ‘Complete your profile’ menu but eventually found it in a ‘Profile Management’ menu that opened up when I clicked ion the small ‘person’ icon in the top right corner of the screen.

Oddly, the only PIN code it would accept was my device PIN code.  Still, that at least works.

BUT. I still cannot find any Logout function.  Exiting the App does not cause Logout.

Merely tapping on the App again reopens it and exposes all personal data. 

So far, the only way I have found to Logout of the App is to press the Home button to EXIT  and then press the Home button twice to go to the screen that displays last used Apps and force close it by swiping it off the screen.

This is a pretty clunky way to logout.  A Logout option that is accessible from any screen within the App would seem a sensible option.

I am using this App on an iPad Pro using iPadOS 13.5.1

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

If you want to sign out of the My Telstra app, tap the head and shoulders icon and then click "Manage Telstra IDs". The sign out option is at the bottom of the screen.

It's designed to be always accessible, so the logout function isn't front and centre, but you can require a pin or fingerprint to access it (as you've found).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Well, who would have thought that would be where the ‘sign out’ function would be hidden, except perhaps those who designed and built this App.

When I turned PIN Lock ON I expected that like other Apps I use when I signed out the App would close and further access would be blocked until I entered the PIN code and I wouldn’t have to keep re-entering my login details every time I wanted to access my information.

However, when I signed out I found this was not the case

1. The App did not close down but remained open presumably so the shopping option could still be used - I had to sign in again to access my data.
  2. Without signing in, I could still click on the head&shoulders icon and access and change my App settings i.e. turn PIN Lock ON or OFF which I thought was a bit odd (though I had to use my PIN to do this)
  3. If I force close the App I have to use my PIN to re-open it, which is what I expected, and use my Telstra ID to sign in but if I just sign out of the App and close it using the home button I don’t have to use my PIN to reopen it.

I daresay this is all OK if the user is aware of what is happening and uses the App in accordance with their expectations.

These peculiarities seem to be the result of trying to combine product advertising and sales functions with account based activities in the one App.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit