Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung email app and Telstra server settings

Emails auto delete on samsung tabs3 ssung email app. Samsung checked app settings oon my tab and said Telstra needs to configure server for emails to not auto  delete... anyone know of this or how to best get Telstra onto this? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Samsung email app and Telstra server settings

If it is only old emails that are being deleted check that the "Sync Period". By default it is set to 1 Month. If you set it to "All time" old emails will not be deleted on your device. The old email that are deleted on your device should still be on the Server.

Telstra Web mail only deletes emails from the bin. It does not automatically delete emails in the inbox. The only way items might be deleted from the inbox is if you have a email client on another device set to use POP3. Most email clients when set to use POP3 either delete emails from server after a set period or delete the emails on the server immediately. If you have a email client on another device set to use POP3 check it incoming server settings.

Highlighted

Thku for trying but already have imap settings which shld sync all. It doies BUT on ssung tablet using ssung app it auto deletes and they say telstra server has to be changed. but I just wasted HR on Telstra chat line, saying they can help definitely but ended up wiping hands of it, telling me to ring samsung. I already did that and they tell me to ring Telstra. Who is going to be bigger company here and take ownership,ugh.
Level 25: The Singularity

The functionality to delete mail from the server is controlled by the client on your device, not the server.

There will be a setting on your mail client that has been set to delete the mail. Which app are you using? Just to be clear, are you deleting the message on your device, or are the messages just disappearing without your intervention? And what other devices (models) do you have connected to your email?

Neither company needs to take "ownership" of the problem. It's a device settings problem, which is an end user problem.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thku for yr response.  The emails are auto deleting without my intervention after approx 3 weeks on samsung email app on samsung tablet. I also access email via webmail on my laptop or use emclient. As samsung email syncs with webmail, it also deleting from webmail. Samsung said is a known setting to save space. Is called email sync period.however it is set to All The Time which samsung said wld keep emails and not auto delete. It still deletes automat though so they are wrong or must be app issue. I had a separate online chat to samsung and they also mentioned the delete setting u refer to, but he said not showing on my samsung app(he did remote control access to identify this), and that is when he said i have to get telstra to configure server settings to not auto delete.  I had over an hr online with telstra but they just repeated my questions back at me and finally said to change it to POP.  I said it then wont sync with webmail which i want and he agreed not good idea!  then he said a samsung issue.!

Highlighted

Which email client are you using on your laptop and have you set it to use POP? As I said in my previous message if it is set to use POP most email clients by default are set to delete email from the server after a certain period. I know that Microsoft Outlook and most other email clients deletes mail from server after 21 days but leaves a copy on the local device.

I use Telstra mail on a Samsung device and also on a laptops and emails do not get deleted automatically. Both email clients are set to use IMAP.

Highlighted

Setting the email sync period to All the Time just means that all your emails will be available on your phone all the time. I have mine set to 2 weeks (ie I can see the emails from teh past 2 weeks).
This has nothing to do with autodeletion of emails.

On an IMAP connection, the only time that emails should delete from the server is when you delete them from your phone (having the sync period set at 2 weeks does not delete mail older than 2 weeka, it just doesn't come to your phone when it syncs).

There is no server side setting that can fix your problem. If your tablet is the cause of the mail being deleted, then there is something wrong with your tablet as it is not behaving as it should.

I would be checking your device that uses emclient and check to see how the autobackup has been set up. It may be backing up your emails and deleting the originals (like the archive function in Outlook - which stores them locally and deletes them from the server).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thku, I shall check emclient settings.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit