Raidersfan1979
Level 1: Cadet

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 firmware update?

Recently got the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (SM-T595) model and am quite dumbfounded that the firmware is still 8.1.0 with security path from July 2018.

Is there any chance of this being updated in the near future? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
DrQ
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5 firmware update?

8.1.0 is the latest firmware that Samsung have released fro that device. I did find reference that Samsung are estimating that Android P will be available on the Tab A at the end of the year, at least in Europe, which would mean that it could be potentially later here. That would be when it would be provided to telcos to test, so by the time it is tested and pushed it could be any time after that.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Raidersfan1979

OK thanks for the information there. 

I was more interested about the security patch level being 12 months old but I'm sure that will be updated with Android P

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Good afternoon,

You can check with sammobile.com

Here is the link:  https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

Regards

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
smokiedawson
Level 4: Private Eye

It is not really good enough that we have a tablet with a security patch July 2018! Only got this couple weeks ago. Surely Telstra care about security, and not sell outdated software...then again maybe not. Not happy Jan!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Samsung is responsible for the updating of firmware for their devices. Telstra just sells them as is.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
smokiedawson

Some people have reported receiving the dec 2018 security update, but still stuck on July 2018. Not so much the firmware, it's the security updates that matter to me at the moment.

Jupiter

Security updates are updates to the firmware. Hence, it's a Samsung responsibility.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
smokiedawson

Monthly security updates - even if samsung shoot them out for this device every quarter, still should have something after July 2018.

DrQ

When I was looking I couldn’t see any released by Samsung to devices in the Australian market since that one. It was listed as the most recent I could see.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Jupiter

Nope. July 2018 was the last one that Samsung released for the Australian market for your device.

bemanuele
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

According to the Sammobile website and the Whirlpool forums the Android 9 update for this tablet was released on the 16/06 for the Australian unbranded version.

https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-tab-a/firmware/SM-T595/XSA/

Lets hope Telstra doesn't drag the chain for too long like it always does in signing off on its release.

Hugga

My tablet offered me the Pie update today as outlined in http://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-T595/TEL/doc.html

If you havent got it check your settings. I haven't installed it yet to let you know if it's any good 😎  

Given that Telstra was selling this tablet as a clearance item, I wouldn't expect any further major updates from them after this one.  We'll need to wait and see.  You might have to resort to custom ROMs etc.

This thread is a little misleading.  Yes, Samsung do provide the update, but if you bought your device from Telstra, it will have their custom Samsung firmware, supplied to customers by FOTA updates.  Updating with a non-Telstra ROM will likely work, but also likely void your device warranty with Telstra.

smokiedawson

Thanks so much, downloading now as we speak... Happy days.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit