davidthomas
Level 1: Cadet

Sim from Bigpond Elite dongle to Galaxy Tab HELP

Arrr...

I am trying to move my sim card from my Elite dongle to my Galaxy Tab and I am connected to the telstra mobile network but I have no internet connection.

I have tried calling bigpond support and all i get is they can not support this device, WTF they are selling them...

"Use packet data" is on, APN is set as telsta.iph which is default (do I have to insert my username and password into this file?)

Is there something special I have to do to get this to connect? The dongle required a program to connect.

Under status,

MDN - Unknown

Network - Telstra Mobile

Mobile type - UMTS

Roaming - Not Roaming

Mobile Network State - Disconnected

Can anyone help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Sim from Bigpond Elite dongle to Galaxy Tab HELP

As far as I'm aware, BigPond Mobile Broadband SIMs are locked to BigPond Mobile Broadband devices and vice versa.

I have tried calling bigpond support and all i get is they can not support this device, WTF they are selling them...

BigPond (i.e. the BigPond division of Telstra) did not sell you the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and your expectation that BigPond will support your use of the model is misguided.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab will work with SIMs for Telstra Next G mobile services (including pre-paid and post-paid Tablet-specific offers, as well as regular mobile phone services), just not BigPond Mobile Broadband services. You cannot have 8GB of included monthly mobile broadband usage allowance for use on your tablet device, with the access service slowed after the usage allowance has been consumed to avoid additional charges, all for the monthly price of $59.95 (or less if you are eligible for the BigPond Mobile Broadband Offer), for example.
——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
davidthomas
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your input,

The tablet was purchased from a telstra store, and is being used on a telstra/bigpond account so I don't believe it is unreasonable for them to support it.

Bigpond advised me that the sim is not locked to the Eltite dongle, but who knows. I'll just close that account and open another one.

Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Telstra (as a brand in the telecommunications market, and not the corporation with all its business holdings) and BigPond sell different products and services. You wouldn't ring BigPond and expect them to provide technical support for your mobile phone, would you?

You need to use a Telstra service, and not a BigPond service, with your Samsung Galaxy Tab if you want to have mobile data access over the HSPA or LTE network.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit