Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Swapping sim card between phone and iPad

Just another quick question. Are there any limitations between swapping a sim between an iPad and a phone? In contract terms? Does it matter what device I use the data in? Could I potentially replace my micro sim for a full size sim, put it in my phone and just run my iPad off the wifi? Would it work in the new htc velocity at 4g?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Swapping sim card between phone and iPad

Just another quick question.

Which specific question is the one to which you referred? You asked several questions above.

Are there any limitations between swapping a sim between an iPad and a phone? In contract terms?

To which specific Telstra Mobile plan are you subscribed, with regard to the SIM in question? Without knowing the specific plan, nobody knows which specific piece(s) of Our Customer Terms applies.

Could I potentially replace my micro sim for a full size sim, put it in my phone and just run my iPad off the wifi?

If you have a Telstra Pre-Paid micro-SIM for Apple iPad, then the only voice calls you can make from the associated service – if you insert the SIM into a phone (say an iPhone, or a different make of phone using a micro-SIM adapter to make it fit) – are calls to 000.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I'm on a 3G 8gb 24 month tablet data plan, post payed with iPad 2. I would like to know if it is possible to replace my micro sim with a normal size sim ( via a telstra store) and use it in my htc phone as a hotspot. Or does my contract state I can only use my sim in a tablet?
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

I'm on a 3G 8gb 24 month tablet data plan,

If it's the Telstra $49 Data+ Tablet Plan (formerly called Telstra $49 Data+ Cap Plan), which is described in section 7 of Part B – Our current consumer pricing plans in the Telstra Mobile section of Our Customer Terms, then I don't see any such restriction on review.

In fact, under the heading of Payment and Eligible Use, section 7.6 states,

To access call and SMS capability, your SIM card must be placed in a call/SMS capable device. Not all tablet devices have this functionality.

so I think it is reasonable to conclude that you are implicitly allowed to use the SIM in a device that is not an iPad, eg. a phone.

Section 7.8 does not expressly exclude the use of data over the service on a device that is not a tablet, either.

I would like to know if it is possible to replace my micro sim with a normal size sim ( via a telstra store)

In which case, perhaps it's best to ask the store staff for confirmation; I don't speak for Telstra, and so what I wrote above is only my personal opinion, which hopefully makes for a good starting point for you.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Edited: Price of sim replacement may cost from $10.00 to $30.00.

Hi there, 

Happy to provide clarification on your questions.

I would like to know if it is possible to replace my micro sim with a normal size sim ( via a telstra store) and use it in my htc phone as a hotspot.

This is very possible! You can either purchase a Micro-Sim to normal Sim adaptor, so that way you can swap the sim from iPad to HTC phone, any time you wish to use either device. 

(Google Search: Micro Sim Adaptor) if you do not know what it is. 

Alternatively, you can go into a Telstra, and we can organise a SIM swap, from Micro Sim to a Normal Sim. You may get charged $10.00 to $30.00 in store for this service. The downside of doing this is that you will no longer be able to  put the sim into the iPad. 

Whilst it says in the customer terms, that you can only use the allocated allowance on a Next G Tablet device, you can certailny put it into a mobile device and still use up the data. 

Personally, I have done this but I use the Micro Sim adaptor, so that I can swap it between my iPad and my mobile. 

Hope this helps, and enjoy!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit