Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Tablet on plan no longer making or receiving calls

Answered

OK that about says it all, yesterday my Samsung Galaxy Tab A model SM-T385 which is getting towards the end of it's plan, suddenly decided after a power failure that it would no longer make or receive calls, in fact if I attempt to make a call from it, my Call Guardian home phone stops allowing calls to be made or received, it has the extended tone that you normally get when the telephone is diverted and it certainly isn't, I need to reboot the modem to get a dial tone back.

Anyway on to the tablet it no longer shows the phone number in "the about tablet" page, if I try to make a call nothing happens, it looks like it is connecting and then says call ended.

The main reason I am concerned about the problem is last week I lost my wallet / phone case, so I no longer have a mobile phone or ID. I have tried ringing to advise of the phone loss, but keep getting put on hold only to have the call terminated after about 40 minute, same goes for technical support.

I visited the local Bendigo shop this morning and they would do nothing about the lost phone because I had no ID, as for their "technical help" with the tablet - they didn't seem to have a clue and was only told that that Telstra was not allowing tablets to  "make calls anymore" - I have heard nothing about this and it is not what my plan says, they did however confirm the sim was working.

I am very disappointed in the way I was treated today at the Telstra store and something really needs to be done about technical support over the phone, it's absolutely ridiculous at the moment, when I can't even get through to report a lost / stolen phone, particularly when I pay Telstra nearly $400 a month for my connected services!

I have done a factory reset on the tablet, and also tried restoring a backup from March, but neither changed the situation.

OK Rant Over,

Maybe someone here will have some clues?

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: Tablet on plan no longer making or receiving calls

Just a quick follow up - as all the woes of getting anything done at a Telstra shop were about my lack of ID, just on the off chance I rang the other Telstra shop here in Bendigo and spoke to them and explained the situation, anyway to make all short of it, I provided them with my expired license, the receipt for the replacement license and the Police report and Bingo all my problems fixed. I know where I will be going in future to do my Telstra business.

Seeing as the contract is up on the tablet at the end of the month, I think I will just plonk a Boost Mobile card in it, as I can get twice as much data for the same price as I am paying now
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hey mate,

I have the Tab A - SM555 model, and I just stuck my phone SIM into it, and it dialled fine.  I would say the clueless one was exactly that.  I fail to see why Telstra would deny ANY device the opportunity to dial out, as that would take them out of the Alarm, tracking, tablet, logistics, watch business ( and countless more ).

My guess is that perhaps your tablet's LTE modem has died, or I did have a similar problem with a much older tablet, where I 'rooted' the device to install another operating system on it (Cyanogen) and it didn't like the LTE modem and refused to work.  I had to then reload the orginal android back onto the tablet.

Does the tablet work fine with the WiFi off, just using 3/4G data?  If not, that would seal the deal for me to think the LTE module was toasted.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply.
It appears do do everything with or without WiFi, except make and receive calls. It does receive SMS as I found out waiting on a call from the plumber on Friday, perhaps I should have consulted him as he is likely as, if not more knowledgeable than the "experienced staff" at the Telstra store. Smiley Mad

I may as well do another factory reset, nothing to lose at this stage, as I have way better things to do than sit around on the home phone all day waiting to talk to someone who most likely knows as much as the store staff do.

Very frustrating and they really need to do something about their phone support, otherwise I can see them losing customers hand over fist!

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

I'm a bit confused about your original post. The Samsung Tablet works using a SIM to make and receive calls, but you state that your Call Guardian is blocking it (which it can't as it has no control over your tablet).

The power failure is most likely just a coincidence in all of this (unless you had the tablet plugged in and it copped a surge).

You may need to check both for firmware updates for the tablet as well as updates for the Phone app on the tablet (open the phone app, then click on settings (via the 3 dots next to the search icon), then scroll to About Phone at the bottom and it will tell you if it needs updating.

Also, what plan do you have your tablet on? The Mobile Broadband plans had the ability to make phone calls removed, so that may be a factor. If you have a phone plan SIM in your tablet then the calls function should still work.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupier

It is a strange occurrence that happened at the same time, if I try to make a call from the tablet with WiFi calling on my Telstra Guardian loses the dial tone and goes into the sound you get when you have call divert enabled and we are unable to use the phone until I reset the modem, maybe it's a NBN thing, but have never had this issue with our other mobile devices set to WiFi calling - so it's strange.
I have sent messages and made calls from it previously, as well as receiving calls, usually from scammers and here is the link to the critical information about my plan.
Tablet Plans 

I will check as you advise and see where that leads me.

Highlighted

If you don't mind me asking, what is your average bill for your tablet account? If you are sending SMS and making calls from your Tablet, it may be more economical to change to a Mobile Phone Plan as you get free calls and SMS and a lot more data than you get on the Tablet Plan.

Essentially the Tablet you have is an entry level phone with a massive screen (most tablets don't have phone capability).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I don't normally use it for that purpose, only reason I want to use it now is because I lost my mobile, along with my ID and the Telstra store will not either replace the sim or suspend the sim without my driver's license for ID and it is impossible to get through to anyone on 13 22 00 (40 minute wait and then disconnected), I was looking to use the tablet in case of emergencies whilst out and about whilst I wait for my replacement ID to arrive. As I said before my plumber was able to leave a voice mail message on it on Friday, so it is at least going through to message bank if nothing else.

Highlighted

To organise to replace your SIM, if you download the My Telstra app onto your tablet and send a message (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen), then they should be able to help to send one out to you.

If Codi tries to send you somewhere else, then type "Speak to a consultant" and you should be transferred to the queue to chat to a human (messaging is much like here, not instant, but you can respond when you get notified).

Highlighted

I just spent 1/2 an hour talking to a rep on facebook and have got further than I have ever done before this - at least they have emailed Bendigo and the Regional Manager about my woes, so we shall see what happens tomorrow

Accepted Solution

Just a quick follow up - as all the woes of getting anything done at a Telstra shop were about my lack of ID, just on the off chance I rang the other Telstra shop here in Bendigo and spoke to them and explained the situation, anyway to make all short of it, I provided them with my expired license, the receipt for the replacement license and the Police report and Bingo all my problems fixed. I know where I will be going in future to do my Telstra business.

Seeing as the contract is up on the tablet at the end of the month, I think I will just plonk a Boost Mobile card in it, as I can get twice as much data for the same price as I am paying now
Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit