johnnjulie
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra unavailable in Google play store

Hi, I have a mobile plan paid by direct debit each month. In the past I have made small purchase through google play store. Now when I click purchase, on the choose payment list, it shows Telstra unavailable.  Is there something I  changed by mistake? 

Thank you.  John. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Telstra unavailable in Google play store

Hi Johnnjulie. 

I do not believe this is always available for Google Play purchases. What did you try to buy when you ran into the trouble?

- Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Johnjulie. 

Just checking in to see if you need a further hand?

- Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sarahanne

I can confirm, I used telstra to pay for things on Google Play and can no longer use it. It comes up as Unavaliable. 

Singme2sleep

Me too!!!! I've contacted twice in two days to have this fixed as my purchases ive had each month are now bouncing. What's happened? My soend cap is now 500 and its still not working! Never had any issues until 3 days ago and been doing it for over a year

@sarahanne wrote:

I can confirm, I used telstra to pay for things on Google Play and can no longer use it. It comes up as Unavaliable. 

Singme2sleep

Mine is doing this too and my spend cap has been increased with the problem persisting. I've been charging these google subscriptions to my telstra for over a year so I don't accept from telstra chat its not allowed and that's why uts declining. After telling them to check my bill for third party purchases they brgrudgingly now agree but can't seem to fix the issue. Surely there's some kind of error on telstras end? Being handballed and it really isn't good enough. I thought being a gold member was supposed to get me better tech help. Seems to me they don't care 

Rohan123
Level 20: Director
Level 20: Director

Hi @Singme2sleep 

There is a possibility that it has something to do with this,

Even if it is 3 years late.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/moreonyourmobile/manageyourcontent

I remember Telstra was trying to restrict 3rd party purchases due to the amount of complaints accompanied with them.

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
MandaMillsy
Level 2: Rookie

Hey guys, I've had the same problem. After contacting Testra to find out there was no issue on their end I went to google. It turns out that Google play are no longer accepting Telstra billing as payment. Only Vodafone and Optus. 

I'm not sure why, been trying to find out.

Doesn't that just suck!!!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Using your Telstra account as a payment method was removed on the 30th March 2021. It was a decision made by Telstra.

Google were supposed to send an email advising customers who were affected (ie those customers who had ongoing subscriptions using the Telstra account for payment). It would appear that this did not happen, and Telstra did not inform customers about the change in conditions to their plans re the availability.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MandaMillsy
Level 2: Rookie

How inconvenient. I hope they bring it back at some stage. When you google it, it still comes up on the telstra sites as being available. They really need to update their website.

@Jupiter wrote:

Using your Telstra account as a payment method was removed on the 30th March 2021. It was a decision made by Telstra.

Google were supposed to send an email advising customers who were affected (ie those customers who had ongoing subscriptions using the Telstra account for payment). It would appear that this did not happen, and Telstra did not inform customers about the change in conditions to their plans re the availability.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit