JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

New Telstra 24x7 App For Android - thoughts?

Hi all,

We've just launched our new Telstra 24x7 app for Android (you can find it in the Google Play store here ) - it's been a long time coming, and we hope you love it!  But we know that nothing is perfect , as hard as we may try to make it so, and as such, we'd like to hear your feedback on the app.  What do you like about it?  Is there a particular feature that could do with improvement?  Have we missed something that you'd like to see incorporated into a future update?

I'm happy to act as a conduit on this thread and pass on any questions and/or issues to the app's development team to field as appropriate - and you may even see some of the team drop in here to answer queries themselves as time goes on!  The end result of this should be that answers to as many reasonable questions about the app as possible will end up here as we get them, which can only help everyone.

So please, keep the feedback (and the occasional app wishlists!) coming – the more we know about how people are using it, how people want to use it and what issues they're running into while using it out in the wild, the better we can make the app moving forward.  :-)

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Re: New Telstra 24x7 App For Android - thoughts?

Just downloaded it then, will play around with it and provide some feedback =)
Lathania

Telstra (Retired)
JeniSkunk
Level 5: Eagle Eye

With the release of the new Telstra 24x7 App, will Telstra provide a one-click solution for removing/uninstalling the TelstraOne app from the System ROMs of our Android devices?

edit: fix typo

Jenifur Charne

JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jenifur,

I'm chasing the answer to this question up for you with our app development team as we speak.  As soon as I get an aswer, I'll share it with everyone here.  :-)

- Justin

JeniSkunk

Thanks for hunting up the answers, Justin.

For me, doing such an uninstall of the now outdated app, would be relatively easy, as my T-Touch is already rooted.

Smiley Happy

edit: fix formatting

Jenifur Charne

JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries, Jenifur!

Yes indeed, if you've been mod-happy with your Android device, then removing any of the pre-installed apps (including TelstraOne) is quite easy - but if you haven't, then the official statement on removing/unistalling the preinstalled TelstraOne app is that it can't be - TelstraOne will remain preinstalled on Android handsets for the foreseeable future, as the app is not an app that Telstra Digital (the creators of the 24x7 app) have any ownership of.   It's possible that those responsible for the TelstraOne app may provide this functionality at some point, but we can only recommend shifting Telstra One off your home screens and into the menu as it stands.  Hope this clears things up!

- Justin

JeniSkunk

Thanks for that info, Junstin, even if it doesn't immediately help users.

If a department of Telstra didn't create the TelstraOne app, then who did, and are they members on this forum?

Also are 'Telstra Digital' members on this forum?

Jenifur Charne

JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@ Jenifur - 

To clarify - a department of Telstra did create the TelstraOne app - just not Telstra Digital.  As such, Digital doesn't have any control over the removal of the app, as the app has a different 'owner' within the company, who has indicated that, as it stands, no plans are afoot to provide an option to remove the app.  As far as I'm aware there aren't many members of that development team in CrowdSupport, but Telstra Digital members are indeed in this forum - a good number of them at a number of different levels, of which I'm one.  Hope this helps to clear things up somewhat.  :-)

- Justin

DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Pity Esther on the Telstra 24/7 site has today been telling people the app doesn't work on Android Tablets. Works a charm on my Xoom and the sons accer.

Think see needs some training help.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

DEANJA - 

Thanks for raising this point with us as a concern.  In this case, it's probably best to provide a little context around the information you've noted Esther has supplied on our Facebook page.

Though it obviously has worked on your Xoom and your son's Iconia tablet, our resources specifically state - and this has been confirmed by the app development team - that the 24x7 app has been designed specifically for Android smart phones.  Android tablet users can install the App, however, it hasn't been optimised for these devices (and as such,  you can't use the App in landscape mode and we can only offer limited support to tablet users at this stage - though we hope to offer an optimised tablet app in the future.

As such, Esther's statement  is correct - though the app can be downloaded to most Android tablets (except the new T-Hub 2), we're not officially recommending that customers do so at this stage, as we can't offer full technical support in the same manner we can to those using the app on a phone.  I hope this clears things up moving forward.

- Justin

timoshea95
Level 1: Cadet

Can someone tell me why, when i hit the "Services" button of this app, i get a message that this facility is mot available on "this version" of the app? How do i get version of the app that does provide access to Services?
bigkenny28

I have this new app on my Telstra HTC one xl, Why doesnt app show call costs to date on a regular basis?, ive only seen it once then it dissappeared, pretty useless without it really. I thought the whole point of the app was to allow you to monitor call costs & downloads conveniently, not just some of the information and guess the rest..

dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi bigkenny28,

We are aware of this issue and will be delivering a fix for it shortly. In the mean time if you use the App via Wifi you should be able to see your recent call/sms/mms activity at all times.

Kind Regards

Duncan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bigkenny28

Thanks Duncan
Lonewolftri

Any news on this update? I can't get my recent history even with wifi.
dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Lonewolftri,

We are closing in on release.  Should be ready in the play store next week all going well Smiley Happy

Keep an eyeout here on Crowdsupport for announcements.

Cheers

Duncan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Lonewolftri

Thanks for the quick reply.
john_mck33
Level 2: Rookie

Hi,

Thank you for supporting Android.

I rely on the app a lot to manage my data usage. Could I request a feature update?

More regular data usage updates. 

Currently, the updates are posted "as about 6 hourly" intervals. Is there a view to making this more regular? Hourly perhaps?  

dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi john_mck33,

Thanks for your feedback.  We are always looking for feedback such as this from our users.

On the Data usage please note that 6 hours is the general time.  Quite often you will find it is updated within the hour so it is fairly up to date,  Obviously the goal is real time data which is something we will reach overtime.

Once again thanks for your feedback and please keep it coming.  Here on Crowdsupport is the best way to do so as the feedback comes through directly to myself and the other members of the 24x7 app team managing the product roadmap.

Kind Regards

Duncan (on behalf of the 24x7 app team)

Techverbatim

Hi Duncan and others,

While the Telstra 24x7 app for Android is a step in the right direction for Telstra, I do have a query about it.  

As a user who values their privacy, I'm concerned about one of the app security permissions the Telstra 24x7 app makes a request for on being installed.  In particular the permission stating:

• READ CONTACT DATA

• Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your tablet. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people. Allows the app to read all of the contact (address) data stored on your phone. Malicious apps may use this to send your data to other people."

I would like to know why the app requires this security permission.  There doesn't appear to be any feature in the app that makes use of it, so my only other assumption is that it is being used in the background for reasons unknown to the user.  If the permission is not being used, then it should be removed.

It would be nice to get some info from someone on the app development team.  I asked this question on the Telstra Twitter feed and was given the answer "the app uses this information to personalise your experience".  Sadly, that answer is far too vague and inappropriate.  In this day and age where IT and online privacy is regularly in the media (Telstra should be well aware of this, given they've been the subject of such investigations recently) I hope to see more on this and greater transparency from Telstra moving forward.

Thanks in advance.

dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Techverbatim,

Totally understand your concern with this and thanks for calling it out.  Let me assure you that we would never utilise your contact data for reasons other than to bring you a better experience.

The Read Contact Data permission is used in the application by the 'rename your services' feature which can be accessed in My Services tab via the edit option in the top right of the service information screen.

So lets say I am managing my partners service via Telstra 24x7 and I have her contact in my phone,  when I go to personalise my Service name for that service the application will detect from my contacts that my partners number is associated with the name Lindsey and automatically pre-populate the service name with my partners name as per the below image:

Rename.png

We thoughts this was a great way to help you personalise your experience.  I would be keen to hear you thoughts and I hope this clears up any confusion around the use of your contact data.

Kind Regards

Duncan (on behalf of the 24x7 Apps Team)

Techverbatim

Hi Duncan,

Thanks very much for that.  That's exactly the sort of info I was after.  Much appreciated!

Many other developers put the reasons for their use of particular permissions in the descriptions of their apps on Google Play.  

Would be good if in future Telstra also did something similar or even just link to an FAQ somewhere for the individual apps to explain those sorts of things (on a per app basis).  I realise many users don't even read the permissions requests when they install apps (even though they really should for their own safety - that's why Android has them) but for those of us that do, it would be a great addition.

Hopefully the Twitter team also see this and refer other people to it when they have similar questions rather than simply giving the standard form response.

Thanks again Duncan!

dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No Problem Techverbatim,

Thanks for you further feedback.  It makes complete sense and something ill definetly look to advocate going forward.

Have a great day.

Cheers

Duncan

Aydan_H

I'd like to see a widget in this app. That's all i think it's missing.

With a widget, it would be absolutely perfect for what it is designed to be used for

Thanks

dcrowell
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Aydan_H,

I can confirm we are currently working towards creation of a widget or two Smiley Happy.  Expect some announcements on this after Christmas.

Cheers

Duncan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit