SinNombre
Level 3: Gumshoe

Back to Square one with trying to deactivate Telstra Air

This is a continuing problem from my previous closed thread from June https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-air/cannot-deactivate-telstra-air-via-modem-anymore/t... .

Well my Modem recently updated itself back to Egyptian Blue again. 3 months ago I complained about not being able to view if Telsta Air was being broadcast from my Modem since I didnt want it to be. And my modem was rolled back to its previous firmware by "someone" to Champagne (18.1.c) & I was able to see the Telstra Air box again. I still however was never able to resolve the issue of Deactivating Telstra Air from my account online. It always just says that my request has been recieved. 3 months later & I still can't deactivate Telstra Air from my account. And now I'm back to square one with my modem too since it has updated it's firmware again & I cant even check via my gateway if Air is "Active" or not. My last tip from a Crowd Support team member on my last, since closed thread from 3 months ago, was to check with their team through secure chat as to why the request to deactivate Air was taking longer than usual. This I did not do, & will not do, because as previously stated in my last thread I will not waste another hour of my time getting nowhere with anyone on chat. Clearly noone knows what the issue is or they do know & just aren't going to fix it because they don't want people deactivating Telstra Air. This thread is more to see how many other people are having the same issue. A simple search just on this forum, & I can see others from as far back as 2015 have had an issue with deactivating Telstra Air. I wonder if anyone has been successful before their threads were closed?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Back to Square one with trying to deactivate Telstra Air

You could scan for available WiFi networks on your mobile and see if there are any Telstra Air or FON networks.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Home modems aren't used for Telstra Air anymore, so that is why the option for it is no longer there.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

Thanks Jupiter.

That is the point that I was going to make, and reinforce it with the fact that the networks do not exist.

SinNombre
Level 3: Gumshoe

I had heard that too when I was having this problem the first time and I asked for clarification from Telstra if our home modems were still being used as Hotspots & According to Ryan from the Telstra support team in my last thread in June (which is linked in my first comment) "Air is still avaliable at selected Telstra Air pink payphones, selected Telstra stores, and at the ‘home hotspots’ of Telstra Air members. - Ryan"

And idf I scan for available WiFi networks as @Dowser said there is indeed Telstra Air & Fon WiFi available. Whether it is mine or not I couldnt say, but since I can't deactivate Telstra Air in my account online I'd have to assume it's mine. And I don't live near any "HotSpot" areas that I'm aware of.

And why is there still the option to Deactivate it on the My Account page under See your services - Manage Telstra Air, if there is nothing to Deactivate?

Jupiter

The deactivate option is still there because you still have access to Telstra Air as part of your plan.

The official communication that came out from Telstra stated that Home Modem hotspots were being removed from service as of the March this year. So unless Telstra changed their minds since then? Maybe @RyanH could clarify what is the current position, because there is conflicting information in Telstra's information (nothing new there).

This was on the bottom of Bills in January 2021:

From March 2021 the way you access Telstra Air will be changing, our residential customer premise and FON hotspots will no longer be available. You can continue to access Telstra Air from thousands of hotspots across Australia through the Telstra Air App. You can find out more here www.telstra.com.au/telstra-air/using-telstra-air

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

And this is an email that I received on the 17th March 2021.

Occasionally we need to make updates to our products and services.

We wanted to remind you that from March 2021 the way you can access Telstra Air will be changing. From that date, you’ll no longer be able to connect to Telstra Air using Wi-Fi hotspots on the modems of participating residential customers nor will you be able to connect using FON Wi-Fi hotspots.

What does this mean for you?

You will still be able to connect to thousands of other hotspots when you’re out and about. Wi-Fi hotspots can be located using the Telstra Air App and will still be available via:

Selected Payphones

Participating Telstra Stores

Telstra Corporate Foyers

Selected office spaces and Telstra exchanges

Businesses that partner with Telstra in offering Telstra Air Wi-Fi.

If your plan is no longer suitable for your needs following this change, you can cancel your plan. You can also change your plan once a month, if your needs change. If you have been using Telstra Air Wi-Fi for your data needs, and the hotspots that you have used will no longer be available, you may wish to consider changing to a new mobile plan with more data included. If you choose to cancel your plan simply pay out your device, accessories or services.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit