Madmaxoz
Level 2: Rookie

Before I leave after 25 years as a loyal client...... why has Telstra Air Wi-Fi stoped working?

Before I leave after 25 years as a loyal client...... why has Telstra Air Wi-Fi stoped working?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29
Asuka2222
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Before I leave after 25 years as a loyal client...... why has Telstra Air Wi-Fi stoped working?

It died for me yesterday at 6:30pm.

Now all I get is "Something went wrong"

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Before I leave after 25 years as a loyal client...... why has Telstra Air Wi-Fi stoped working?

Hi - It may been a temporary glitch, oversubscription or did it disconnect after 30 minutes? 

Of general interest but assume not related, I received advice today in my Telstra bill that Telstra-Air and Fon will no longer be available on Telstra Home modems next year.

IMPORTANT MESSAGES
From March 2021 the way you access Telstra Air will be changing, our residential customer premise and FON hotspots will no longer be available. You can continue to access Telstra Air from thousands of hotspots across Australia through the Telstra Air App. You can find out more here www.telstra.com.au/telstra-air/using-telstra-air

Asuka2222

Well FON came back to life, but I don't like using 2.4GHz, it's just too slow.

Telstra Air at 5GHz still has "Something went wrong" since Wednesday evening after I login in and press the Connect Button.

I've been using Telstra Air for months, so I don't know what changed. Tried multiple devices at 5GHz, so it's not my devices.

donnao
Level 3: Gumshoe

I am having the same issue.  Trying to access a Telstra Air (residential premise) from 3 different devices - 2 Windows laptops and an android phone.  Stuck on the Thanks message.

Some bigpond emails come through Outlook but not for other email addresses setup in Outlook and then it all stops and no emails. 

Usually if over-subscribed it tells me.   Tried to login with Fon details and get 301 error (not sure if password is the same).

I am connected to my mobile hotspot to get access.  Hasn't been an issue in the past.

donnao

Now getting "It is currently not possible to login, please try again later. (Code 301)" message on login screen

Asuka2222

@donnao wrote:

Tried to login with Fon details and get 301 error (not sure if password is the same).

Username/Password is the same for Telstra Air/FON.

Are you using just a username or username@...? I just use my username with the same password as Telstra Air.

To be Honest you really don't want to use FON as it's 2.4GHz and very very slow.

Normally what I do is lock my network card to 5GHz and use Telstra Air, no issue with speed and can max out the connection to the Telstra Air limits.

Something is up with the Telstra Air login portal since Wednesday.

Mkrtich

Hi - if your are logging to into someone's Telstra Air Residential modem, my understanding is that one concurrent user only is able to be supported on that Access Point limited to using the 2.4Ghz radio only and if sufficient bandwidth is available for the required Telstra-Air partitioned bandwidth. I am not sure if other Telstra Air SSIDs emanating from other modems in your neighbourhood show up in the list of networks or if they all come under one common name? I can only see one in my list. 

Telstra Air Public Wi-Fi Hotspots are dual band, 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz, and have multi-user capability. Previous forum posts have indicated problems with public hotspots which I assume were maintenance related as they came back on stream after a period of time. 

Asuka2222

I connect to a Telstra Air Residential router from home, not sure if it's by device type of router. Telstra Air is both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, FON is only 2.4GHz on my neighbours router.

From my past readings it was a 3 concurrent limit for Telstra Air, no idea about FON. Hence why I've been using Telstra Air locked at 5GHz.

I don't want to rock the boat on my current FON connection and test Telstra Air until later this evening when my FON timeout. 3 days without home Internet and having to tether was not nice Smiley Surprised

donnao

@Asuka2222 do you use the same password for FON and Telstra Air?

Asuka2222

Yes same password. I just use my username not the username@

For Example:

Username: Asuka2222

Password: Whatever

Asuka2222

As for the Telstra Air SSIDs, Windows 10 only shows 1, however if I run inSSIDer (WiFi Scanner) I can see 4 Telstra Air SSIDs with different MAC address all dual 2.4/5GHz, 3 FON's 2.4GHz only.

I assume Windows 10 just picks the one with the best signal strength to show in the list.

donnao

Thanks @Mkrtich we can login with our Telstra login on 3 different devices and usually get a message if there are too many of our logins being used.

We also get a message if the maximum number of telstra/fon users logged onto the router we are trying to access but as you said we might be just seeing one wifi ssid for multiple routers..

In the last month we usually have 2 devices logged into residential Telstra Air but we might be logging into 2 different routers (we stay in a block of units).

Cheers

Asuka2222

Moot point I know, as they are going to turn off Residential routers broadcasting Telstra Air/FON next year.

What I do is have a Windows 10 machine with a directional WiFi device running ICS, Ethernet to a switch and run my own WiFi AP for the unit.

Directional WiFi ---> Windows 10 (ICS) ---> Ethernet ---> Switch ---> WiFi AP

This only requires 1 Telstra Air/FON connection and I can connect as many devices as I like through my local WiFi AP or the Switch Smiley Happy

Mkrtich

@Donna8 Yes, its a bit of a mystery. When I got Telstra NBN HFC last year, my service was Telstra-Air Activated by default and I have left it ON. I don't use the facility myself when I am out and about, but I thought if others need to use my home partitioned Wi-Fi bandwidth, then that is OK. In the ADSL era, Telstra Air use to be limited to 2 Mbps speed if 8 Mbps was available on the connection - it may have changed with NBN? I had the impression that the three maximum devices was in regards to the National Telstra-Air network at the same time but not a residential modem - don't know. 

On my Arcadyan modem Wi-Fi screen, I have two Green dots on Telstra Air and Fon WiFi 2.4 Ghz SSIDs and two Greyed out dots on the Telstra Air 5G and Fon Wifi 5G SSIDs which I assume means my modem is only broadcasting the 2.4Ghz services. On my Windows PC, I only see what I think may be a common Telstra-Air SSID for any Telstra-Air available around my home or my own modem's Telstra-Air - I think it is my own for reason stated below.

Using an iPad Airport Utility to Scan Wi-Fi networks, in addition to my modem's Telstra-Air and Fon Wi-Fi MAC addresses,  I can see three other Telstra modems, each broadcasting their Telstra Air and Fon Wi-Fi SSIDs but only two BSSIDs (MAC addresses) per modem respectively. Each of these neighbouring modems and their respective Telstra-Air and Fon Wi-Fi  BSSIDs are reading between -92 dBm and -96 dBm Signal Strength which makes them unusable, meaning they are too far away, and perhaps why Windows is not displaying them in available networks for connection.

@Asuka2222 - maybe it is Telstra modem dependent setting or you are very close to your neighbours giving you the perceived higher speeds. In my Arcadyan modem, I have my Band Steering turned OFF on my 2.4 Ghz  radio which makes the modem broadcast both the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz names as individual selections. If your neighbour has Band Steering turned ON and your Windows PC Adapter is locked to 5Ghz, the modem may be connecting you to the strongest signal band at time of connection if it thinks it is a more reliable connection (higher Signal Strength level Noise) which may be the 2.4Ghz radio. On the Arcadyan modem, I can't see an option to activate 5Ghz on Telstra-Air and Fon Wi-Fi - it may differ with the other modems Telstra have in the field.  

It's been an interesting topic to research . Thanks to both of you. I am not sure why Telstra has decided to pull the plug on Telstra Air in residential modems next year. It must be a challenge to manage that network on a National level and maybe, it has become less popular as people have higher download allowances on mobiles and modems these days, require faster connectivity and has become less used as a result or the network can't cope in every circumstance. Further complicated by the users not being the account holders of the modem - I would think you can't report a fault on your neighbour's modem Telstra-Air network not working properly.  Cheers

Mkrtich

That's a very creative front end server solution. Smiley Happy

donnao

Recently discovered that we could connect to Telstra Air router then activate a Windows 10 wireless hotspot (up to 8 devices) and then use that for our mobiles and iPads to save data.  Great especially for daughter who has limited monthly download.  It also gave better Telstra Air access throughout our unit than we would get trying to access.

Hope it comes back up - daughter doing VCE in Victoria and would be helpful for the next 2 weeks and save my data!!  We are staying near her school and when this is over we are vacating the unit and heading back home.

Asuka2222

So I found a 1800 number last night for Telstra Air Faults team on 1800 087 414 (or call 132200 and say "Telstra Air Faults"

Sorry this number is no longer in use. It was there in Feb this year.

Gave the 132200 a try a couple of times, if you say Telstra Air Faults the robot tells you how to use the App then returns to main menu.

I did give the Telstra Air SSID a go before ringing, same thing "Something went wrong" was a hassle to get back onto FON, close browser/flush DNS, but it did restart the countdown clock.

Gave it a shot, even though I know you can never talk to a person.

I have a contact a Telstra, might see if he can do anything, pushing it though.

Since they are going to remove access to prepaid customers on the 1st of Jan, I'll port that number out to keep it and will go Optus 5G home wireless. That will be another battle, even though I can see their tower outside my window (3 floors high) and in map range the address checker says no.

Asuka2222

Don't get hopes up, 2 hours on chat now, I might get it fixed

These guys are looking into it, very seriously. 

Asuka2222

3 hours later, no luck,

Sorry......

I think if anything, they have seen a fault and will fix it.

Asuka2222

Still not working "Something went wrong"

FON works, but is so slow due to being in 2.4GHz, you can get good speeds after Midnight, when the neighbourhood has gone to sleep, but nothing like Telstra Air at 5GHz.

I'm not about to do another 3 hour battle with them today. Might Monday if it's still the same.

Take away notes:

Telstra staff on Twitter great ❤

Chat staff resolving the issue:

- Very direct to the point and if you don't work in IT, you would say rude

- Refused to give a Reference Number, as requested from Telstra

- 15mins, I'll be back, so many times

- Who knows how many agents they flicked my chat too, always someone new

- Kept asking the same questions about the error, even though there is a screen shot in the other thread

- Standard stuff, like, have rebooted, reset your network connections etc

- Always was asking for my mobile number, but it's a login issue, FON works, so I have access

- Never asked me to test it again, like they made a change.

- In the end they closed the chat, poof, we don't want to know about you.

I'm not sure if it's because the weekend, waiting for someone to fix it, but I would be prepared if you are going down the rabbit hole support. Have supplies and hours to spend.

Don't bother ringing 132200, hit Telstra up on Twitter and they will give you a chat link and kiss goodbye for the next few hours.

In the end, I give it 20% being resolved this week.

Harry__Boy

So has anybody had a definitive answer from Telstra that there is an ongoing problem with Telstra Air?   Does it appear to be a nation-wide issue?  Will it ever be fixed?   I have also tried the Telstra App and calling support but just keep going around and around in circles.  The hotspot we use is located on the Sunshine Coast.  I have also tried other hotspots in our area and always get the "Something went wrong"  page.  We are suppose to watch a funeral online on Friday, I hope its back up and running by then.  

donnao

This may or may not help.

This post https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-air/telstra-air-login/td-p/898084 had a solution.

What jumped out at me was the description of the issue:

"I can access here (the crowdsupport forum) through Telstra Air but no other website and when I get the login screen it just accept my login then returns to the login screen. If I change the username or password it just comes back with them being invalid whilst the one I am using just keeps going back to the login screen."

Which is exactly true.  I am replying to this post connected to Telstra Air but this is the only website that I seem to be able to access - didn't try many sites.

donnao

Actually seem to be able to access Telstra sites.

donnao

It's working again for me. I didn't contact Telstra support directly but I did make a comment on Twitter where they were directing someone to use the Telstra Air support tool.  Not sure if that was the same issue.

But we are none the wiser as to why this happened.  How is everyone else's access? @Asuka2222   @Harry__Boy  @Madmaxoz   @Mkrtich 

Madmaxoz

Yes, it’s now working but the Telstra help service is still bad!

I had to text my name, date of birth and phone number at least 8 times over 5 days with responses of nonsense interrupted by 3 or more hours of waiting for their next question! 

can anyone recommend any other service provider to use?

even smoke signals would be less frustrating!

Mkrtich

Thank you for posting your feedback. Glad it was resolved eventually. Telstra has significant room for improvement in customer service experiences. Cheers

donnao

I think when they get something like this, support staff either consciously or subconsciously put it down to user error or settings and don't pass it on to someone to at least monitor.

I'm guessing it is some background programming getting ready to remove access to residential Telstra Air that is to blame but we will never know. 

We only need it for the next 2 weeks while our daughter finishes her exams.  If it stops working we can just hotspot to our phones.

MoreGrumpy
Level 1: Cadet

This has to be the worst interface ever.

I cant see the replies - and I just studied web design and human-computer interaction at University and this is a FAIL

Where is the button to see the other replies???

Mkrtich

Hi - what device and browser are you using. The 28 Replies are viewable by sliding down the scroll bar on the right hand side of the screen. If you are using an iPad, it is very slim and difficult to see and navigate downwards with your finger.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit