SinNombre
Level 3: Gumshoe

Cannot deactivate Telstra Air via modem anymore

The option to deactivate Telstra Air seems to have been removed from my gateway for my Smart Modem. I used to disable Air so my home isn't being used as a hotspot. So if the option has been removed does that mean my Modem can no longer be a hotspot? (which is good). Or that I am being forced to have a Telstra Air hotspot in my home that I can no longer disable? I spent an hour on chat with a Telstra "Expert" who had no idea how to help me & said I can't disable Telstra Air because then I will not have wifi in my home. And deactivating it in my account will only make it not possible to connect to hotspots outside the home which I dont care about anyway. It's funny because the expert started by saying I had to disable it in my modem, but after talking to their supervisor because I said that option seems to be missing, they completely changed their story and were totally unhelpful. All I want to know is why has the option to turn off Air been removed from the modem? Is it because I'm now being forced to have a hotspot broadcasting from my home?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Cannot deactivate Telstra Air via modem anymore

With Telstra Air, I believe there are now only Public Hotspots available, residential ones are no longer active.

You don't manage Air from your modem, as you say. If you have Air on your account, then you manage it from My Telstra or My Account, via the services page..  if it is available to you, it will appear in the list of services.. and you can activate/deactivate Air on eligible services in that area..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
SinNombre

Thanks for the info. I was looking for confirmation from the expert I chatted with online in the chat service as to whether or not residential modems were still being used as hotspots and they seemed confused between Air and WiFi. Basically saying they were the same thing & that if I could disable Air on my modem it would make it impossible to connect any devices to my home wifi.

I would love further confirmation from Telstra that my modem is not still acting as a Telstra Air hotspot.

As for deactivating it in the account settings online. The option is there but clicking on it says

"You can only deactivate Telstra Air for this broadband service once per calendar month.
If you deactivate, you won’t be able to access Telstra Air or international Fon hotspots"

So it seems that is just for the ability for myself to connect public hotspots. That can stay on or off I don't care. But even trying to turn that if doesnt work anyway.

SteveW_52

Turning it off or on may not happen instantly, not much in Telstra does..

The phrase you are reading is probably a 'catch all' summary..  

And the support person is sort of right, Air on your modem does use your Wi-Fi, in a special way, if you have Air enabled on your service.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Residential modems no longer operate as Telstra Air/FON Hotspots. I believe the change occurred at the end of March. The change was announced late last year.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SinNombre

Still no response from Telstra about the issue. But surprise, today I log into my gateway and it has had a version rollback over night. The version was Egyptian Blue but is now showing as Champagne (18.1.c). And the ability to view the status of Telstra Air is back again.

Also gone is an incorrect Ethernet is disconnected red light like this image I found in someone elses post

Not my speeds someone elses  

Mine had a similar red light even though my Ethernet was connected and working, but has now gone back to looking like this.

RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

Hey SinNombre, thank you for the post.

I apologise we just got to this one. Glad this functionality has returned to the menu and your information has updated. Please let us know if you have any troubles finding this in the future.

Air is still avaliable at selected Telstra Air pink payphones, selected Telstra stores, and at the ‘home hotspots’ of Telstra Air members. - Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

SinNombre

Thanks RyanH,

I still have the problem of not being able to successfully deactivate Telstra Air via the Manage Telstra air section of My Account online. How long does it usually take to deactivate? Because it's still showing as active.

RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

I understand, thank you. What error message does it give you when you click Deactivate from that screenshot? - Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

SinNombre

I dont get an error message. I get this

Then after I click Deactivate. I get this

But after I refresh the page or even close it and come back to it any time later it just goes back to showing the Staus as Active like in the first screenshot

RyanH
Support Team
Support Team

OK I understand, thank you that is great information. Yep if this has been received and still active then our team would be processing the deactivation. To check on the status of this one pop through our secure chat here https://tel.st/mytkj2 and we will see if there was a delay with this deactivation request that is making it take longer than usual. 

- Ryan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit