mundoo
Level 3: Gumshoe

Connecting laptop to Telstra Air

Answered

We have just had the Teltra Air service activated and I cannot find instructions on how to connect our laptop to the Air hotspots when we are not at home. There are apps for the IOS and Android devices but I cannot find instructions on how to use the laptop with Air. Is it possible and how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting laptop to Telstra Air

Once a laptop is connected a browser window should automatically open to the login page, however if it doesn't then open your browser. Any attempt to access a webpage should redirect you to the Telstra Air login page.

If it doesn't try this link https://www.telstra.com.au/airconnect

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Ms_Megahurtz
Level 12: Master Detective

When you connect to the hotspot, it'll force you into a webpage to authenticate with your Telstra Air details.

--------------------
Ms_Megahurtz
Nerdy Roller Derby Girl

** SPECIAL NOTE **
The opinions posted here are those of my own mind, and not those of my employer.
Oldpop
Level 1: Cadet

Any Success?

I can get to the "fon " all the happy people page, but click to start the login process it just bombs out, or times out ..

mundoo
Level 3: Gumshoe

Are you overseas? My understanding of the Fon service is for when you are overseas

Gezza49
Level 2: Rookie

Same problem.  I have activated Telstra Air but I cannot connect using my laptop PC. THE TELSTRA AIR connection comes up on my internet choices and I click and is says.... Connected.  But it isn't and I haven't been asked to actually log in. Then, when I park in front of a Telstra air hotspot and I try to open the Internet or send an email, it tells me I am not connected to the Internet.  

I feel there must be some simple setting that I need to adjust on my PC so that I can connect using my username and password.  

Any ideas?

i must have spent at least 10 hours on the phone to Telstra Air help about this but they have not produced a solution. 

Gezza49

I don't get forced into anything! Even tho my PC says that I am connected, I am not. I presume this is because I am not logged on to Telstra Air. But I cannot get to a log on page because I am not connected to the 'net. Catch 22.
kc53

Gurubo

SAme issue.Am on holidays interstate but can't get Telstra air to fire up the lap top using the phone box trick. easy on the iPad. Must be some magic, yet simple solution?

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Once a laptop is connected a browser window should automatically open to the login page, however if it doesn't then open your browser. Any attempt to access a webpage should redirect you to the Telstra Air login page.

If it doesn't try this link https://www.telstra.com.au/airconnect

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

SAKA

I have had repeated success connecting my laptop to the Telstra Air wireless network with Firefox 50.1.0. by simply turning OFF my FIREWALL before connecting to Telstra Air. It seems that the firewall prevents a popup notification appearing in the taskbar that says "additional log on information may be required - click to open browser". Be patient the notification window may take up to 2mins to appear.

Once clicked your default browser will open up to the FON-Telstra portal page, not the Tesltra Air login page. I found that the /airconnect link provided above eventually loads and logs you in, but never gives you internet access. However once the FON-Telstra portal opens your internet connection switches from saying "no internet access" to "internet access". Although you still have to complete your login before you really get internet access.

Telstra Fon portal.JPG

From here click the "log in" link for Telstra Air members (the fon link below it is for overseas use) and you should be redirected to the Telstra Air login - wifi - Telstra page, where you can enter your login details.

Telstra Air WIFI login.JPG

* Note your username should not include "@bigpond.com".

Once your credentials have been verified you will recieve a page with your 12hour auto switch off countdown.

Your Connected.JPG

CONGRATS you can now browse the internet on your laptop with your Telstra account, just open up a web page.
* Dont forget to turn your firewall back on.

Once finished just disconnect from the Telstra Air wireless network.

Hope this helps get more of you connected.Smiley Happy

*Your Internet access should be available to you werever you are and be accessible from all your devices.

Palpatine
Level 20: Director

Hi Saka, thanks, that is a good description of the process with a Laptop, some further comment or questions if you could?

1. I agree that the process is slow (and possibly the Fon contract forces the process to promote them as a first choice which I find quite anoying
  2.  Do you have to log in repeatedly, say if your PC goes to sleep?
  3. can you send email from your PC when logged on to via Telstra Air? If you can send email, what is the description and configuration of your Out going mail server?
If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Palpatine

Don't think it is all solved quite yet @DanK, this link https://www.telstra.com.au/airconnect does bring up a log-in screen, but on return, it just sits there until this message comes up.

Also I can not send email from a laptop, tried all sorts of things, even my published solution for sending email from overseas - use a web based email server, in my case iCloud

Screen Shot 2017-01-24 at 11.49.16 am.jpg

If I've been of assistance please assist others by marking the post accordingly. Click the "Like" button,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Palpatine

Correction -  When logged on to Telstra Air, I can not send email from my SMPT mail.bigpond.com on my iPhone, but I can send from my iCloud SMPT server.  Neither will work from my Macbook Pro

MangroveSnapper

Were you able to logon using https://www.telstra.com.au/airconnect?. Seems to be a firewall issue for our Windows laptop. Still getting the same error window you get above. Have also tried a signon.telstra.fon address but no sucess no matter what do not get a pop up in browser to sign on have to input direct address and still no sucess with all firewall options turned off. Can get to a too many users page without sucess but that is as close as I can get on our HP-Windows laptop. Meanwhile Mac can logon without issue.

On my MacBook Pro not a single issue with login and popup login. Also no issue with email via outlook for Mac, OSX Mail, or gmail.

Too bad we are 2 Telstra Prepaid Mobile customers and can get Telstra Air at our residence location. Would love to use the unlimited till March 27 and contine with 10 GB/month as we cannot get ADSL.

Palpatine

Hi Mangrove Snapper - no, I can not log-on via that link, I get the Username/password screen and it just sits on the next page until it times out with the error message as above. Other than the very slow process of working through the 3 log-on screens, I have no problems loging on with my Macbook Pro using Safari with firewall left on. My main problem is not being able to send emails. I get them OK but can not reply

What are your OSX o/g mail settings?

Interesting that you can get Telstra Air but not ADSL? Where is the Telstra Air coming from? Do you know?

Palpatine

Repeated Telstra Air Login via Macbook

Solved one of lifes frustrating mysteries!

After 4 days relying on Telstra Air, very hot in Townsville today so I moved from my temporary office set up in the garage into the dining room - running on battery!

The power saving function on a Mac when running on battery shortens the screen saver "Sleep" timeout (although this can be user set), and as one might expect, turns off everything not essential - like Telstra Air. So every time I got a message re the 50 adds I have on Gumtree, I would need to go through the awfully frustrating laptop sign-in process, because I was running on battery. 

Plug the power back in and no further issues.

One Idea - the painful log-in proces could go from a rating 1/10 to a 2/10 if there was a Username "Remember Me" function like you have on most other regularly used log-on pages?

(I predict that any change request will be negative as the process is controlled by FON)

Brealan

Hi everybody. I think the solution is that you have to turn on location services on your laptop. I only thought of this because the telstra wifi requires gps location to connect. It seems to have worked for me
Zexter

For me it dosen't work, it used to work a few of months ago but now it's dead

Capture.PNG

wezzy

Is this true

if I activate Telstra Air or Fon Wi Fi

I am opening up to show others what I post - they can see it 

please look at screen shot 

Screenshot 2017-08-31 13.59.17.png

Palpatine

Hi Wezzy, short answer is YES it is sort of true, but I feel that it is very cautiously stated in the message on your device, I have not seen that.

Telstra Air and Fon are "Public WiFi services, and as such are not encrypted, and have lower levels of security than your home broadband. Telstra's fine print on Telstra Air acknowledges this and further recommends that you do not use Telstra Air for secure or sensitive communications such as banking

This does not mean that everything you do via Telstra Air is seen by others, it is really a disclaimer advising customers that the possibility of your communications being intercepted is higher

Personally I am not overly paranoid about it, i have 2 factor authentication set for banking and other apps where personal info is exchanged. Most banks have the green https (secure) channel with the 🔐 indicator, or you could use a VPN App which are becoming popular.

Just be aware that Telstra Air, Fon, cafes and hotel WiFi is less secure than home and exercise caution as to what you use them for
wezzy

thank you for that Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit