Shotgunfrenzy
Level 1: Cadet

Constant issues of late with telstra air

Hello all

Been an avid user of Telstra air for the last 4 or more years now, not the best internet on the planet but it's basically all i have access to at the moment.
For the majority of this time connecting and using this service has been mostly fine, connect, log in, wait a minute (or 5 in some circumstances) and then use the wifi, never getting a byte above 255kb/s

But in the last 4 months there have been weeks where you can barely stay connected for longer than 2 minutes at times, then some weeks you connect once a day and it works fine. This has been quite annoying especially in online calls with friends or work clients overseas, having to log back in to Telstra air multiple times a day.

Then i'd say about 4 days ago out of nowhere, the connection speed increased to about 1mb/s to 1.5mb/s and I thought to myself that someone must have upgraded telstra air finally, and for the last few days have been really appreciating these speeds, if the connection dropped out i would reconnect and amazingly didn't need to spend 5 minutes logging back in again.
Then today we had a small thunderstorm, power dropped out for about 4 seconds, ever since then, back to the 255kb/s speed and the occasional drop out, not as bad as it was but still quite annoying.
so my question is why has this been so bad in the last few months, and more importantly why did it improve all of a sudden just to be put back to square one after a minor inconvenience?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Constant issues of late with telstra air

Are you connecting to a hotspot in the street (ie a public phone with a pink top)?, or are you connecting to a residential modem?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Shotgunfrenzy
Level 1: Cadet

Residential Modems all around, Phone boxes net me a 5mb/s connection  

Jupiter

Connections via residential modems are limited so that they do not impact the owners of those services.

It was probably just dumb luck that you were getting a better connection.

Note: if you are on a Telstra Prepaid service, you will lose access to Telstra Air completely from the 1st January 2021.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit