Del_9
Level 2: Rookie

Old IOS phone - cannot download My Telstra app to activate Telstra Air access

Answered

I activated a prepaid $2 sim kit and recharged on $30 long expiry credit. Have created a Telstra ID but cannot download the My Telstra app to manage access to Telstra Air, due to an old version of IOS and no wifi access. Have tried accessing through the Telstra Air app and have also tried via the Telstra Air/Fon Wifi login on a browser without luck. I keep getting a message saying "something went wrong try again later". How can I activate/manage access without the My Telstra app?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Del_9
Accepted Solution

Re: Old IOS phone - cannot download My Telstra app to activate Telstra Air access

I found out my phone was indeed 5GHz compatible so that wasn't the issue. Instead I found this web page https://www.telstra.com.au/telstra-air/using-telstra-air#mbb and went to the mobile broadband section, turned off wifi on my phone, and was successfully able to activate when I clicked on the 'Activate' link! Thank you for your advice anyway 😀

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Asuka2222
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: Old IOS phone - cannot download My Telstra app to activate Telstra Air access

You need to connect using 5GHz, given it's an old phone I doubt it supports 5GHz.

Telstra support during Covid is AWOL, most of the support staff are overseas having their own Covid issues. Doubt there is anyone here in Australia running Telstra Air.

Del_9

Thank you, do you know where I can go to find out if my iphone supports 5 GHz or not?

Asuka2222

Google your phone model, it should have the details. Not many phones do 5GHz, so I'm guessing you will be out of luck.

I use Telstra Air from home, fixed location, so I can use a 5Ghz Wifi device.

Telstra also has a Covid data add on if that helps.

Telstra are providing an additional:

• 25GB data on Post-Paid Mobile services;
  • 10GB on Pre-Paid ($40+ recharge req'd);
  • Unlimited data on all ADSL/NBN broadband plans (no registration required)

The form is here:

say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/COVID-19

Asuka2222

Having said that, I would have prefered Telstra went Free again like they did during the Bush Fires.

I have an old $50 a year plan, 5GB data, but gives me access to Telstra Air.

So from home I do Windows 10 Connections with a USB WiFi, ICS (Internet Connection sharing) to a switch, then have a WiFi router off that for my local devices.

It might seem messy, but it has just worked for ages. 500GB a month easy, I do alot of streaming Smiley Happy

Del_9
Accepted Solution

I found out my phone was indeed 5GHz compatible so that wasn't the issue. Instead I found this web page https://www.telstra.com.au/telstra-air/using-telstra-air#mbb and went to the mobile broadband section, turned off wifi on my phone, and was successfully able to activate when I clicked on the 'Activate' link! Thank you for your advice anyway 😀

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

@Asuka2222 that offer and link expired at the end of June. There is a separate offer in place for Victoria , but it is only accessible via the My Telstra app.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Asuka2222

So your phone is not old. Good for you.

Asuka2222

I don't check links daily

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit