DB22
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Air Interfering with home wi-fi network

Answered

Recently, I have noticed on my home wi-fi network two Telstra hotspots services Telstra Air and Fon Wi-Fi showing . When my computer goes into sleep mode and then wakes up my home wi-fi network is cut off and the Telstra Air hotspot becomes active. The computer then a  shows a "box" indicating that Telstra Air is trying to connect to the computer

This is of concern to me for a couple of reasons. Firstly it shouldn't be happening and secondly the Telstra Hot Spot is not secure and is connected to my home computer. 

I think this needs to be looked at as a matter of urgency by Telstra and I would grateful if someone on this forum could advise as who would the person/department at Telstra to contact.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Ozmoz
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Air Interfering with home wi-fi network

@DB22 You can go into your online account https://tel.st/qzhdr and disable Telstra Air if you want.

Is Telstra Air secure?

Your home Wi-Fi signal is separate from the Telstra Air or Fon signals. This means your data and information will be kept separate from Telstra Air and other Telstra Air users.

Like most public Wi-Fi networks, Telstra Air is an unencrypted and open network. We don’t recommend using it for things like internet banking or sending and receiving sensitive materials

To delete a wireless network profile in Windows 10:

1. Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
  2. Click Network settings.
  3. Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
  5. Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.
Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper :-(

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

It could take 24 hours for changes to take effect and might also require a modem reboot. In the meantime the link below has instructions for stopping the MAC automatically connecting to a particular WiFi network.

https://www.imore.com/how-stop-auto-joining-wifi-network-mac#disable

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Ozmoz
Accepted Solution

@DB22 You can go into your online account https://tel.st/qzhdr and disable Telstra Air if you want.

Is Telstra Air secure?

Your home Wi-Fi signal is separate from the Telstra Air or Fon signals. This means your data and information will be kept separate from Telstra Air and other Telstra Air users.

Like most public Wi-Fi networks, Telstra Air is an unencrypted and open network. We don’t recommend using it for things like internet banking or sending and receiving sensitive materials

To delete a wireless network profile in Windows 10:

1. Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
  2. Click Network settings.
  3. Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
  5. Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.

Footnote: I don't work for Telstra, I just try to help out fellow Telstra customers.

DB22
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks Ozmoz for your reply. I have deleted my Telstra Air account  as you suggested but still  they are showing on my computer and interrupting my home network. I am on Mac Os10.13.6 ( High Sierra) and  have deleted  those networks under Network Preferences but the are still appearing. 

Any further suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Thanks, David

cf4
Accepted Solution

It could take 24 hours for changes to take effect and might also require a modem reboot. In the meantime the link below has instructions for stopping the MAC automatically connecting to a particular WiFi network.

https://www.imore.com/how-stop-auto-joining-wifi-network-mac#disable

Ozmoz

@DB22 wrote:

Thanks Ozmoz for your reply. I have deleted my Telstra Air account  as you suggested but still  they are showing on my computer and interrupting my home network. I am on Mac Os10.13.6 ( High Sierra) and  have deleted  those networks under Network Preferences but the are still appearing. 

Any further suggestions you may have would be appreciated. Thanks, David

I apologise @DB22 I forgot to mention it can take up to 24-48 hours for the change to take effect. The same if you turn it back on.

Keep in mind, if you turn it off Telstra Air will not be available to you when you are out and about unless you have the appropriate Telstra mobile plan.

@cf4 Thanks for your input, I know nothing about MAC computers. I would have to sit down with one and work it out :-)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit