NS082
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Air is unusable

Answered

Good day everyone,

I am living and working in Sunshine Coast (Mountain Creek and Sippy Downs Area).

Telstra Air is really not usable, with at Home (mountain Creek) and at work (Sippy Downs). I can see both Telstra Air and Fon Networks, sometimes get a login in screen on my MacBook, but normally not. If I am lucky enough to get the login screen it is so slow that it does not progress further than that.

I have reported this twice to Telstra call centres, and each time was told there was an outage in the area, but this has been ongoing for around 2 months now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Air is unusable

At the very least, highly unreliable.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Jupiter

How close are you to the Hotspots, and are they the Public Phone type or somebody's home internet type?

You need to be fairly close to the hotspot to get any real speed out of them and the home internet type hotspot is limited in speeds as well in order not to degrade the customers home internet service.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
NS082

Hi,

Fon Wifi where I am currently sitting is at 61% signal, Noise is 1%. This is from my MacBook
Jupiter

What speed does it report when you connect?
NS082

I cannot get past the log in page. It hangs when I click the login button
NS082

OK so I tried again now, could log onto Fon Wifi (Sippy Downs Drive near University). I started a speed test using the App "Speedtest" and the app is saying "Finding optimal server"so I can't test. So I went onto another wifi to post this
Jupiter

It is connected to the hotspot before the login page loads (the login just lets you connect to the internet). What does your networking information on your MAC indicates that it has connected to the hotspot at?
NS082

Telstra Wifi
IP address: 192.168.20.8
Router: 192.168.20.1
Security: None
BSSID: a6:91:b1:59:12:fd
Channel: 11 (2.4 GHz, 20MHz)
Country Code: AU
RSSI: -72dbm
Noise: -78dbm
Tx Rate: 5 Mbbs
PHY Mode 802.11.ax
MCS Index: 0
Jupiter

You've barely got a connection (and it's to somebody's router - according to the Telstra Air map - rather than a full hotspot), that is most likely the cause of your problems. The poor signal strength is probably causing the connection to drop off and on.
NS082

So it is basically unusable?
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

At the very least, highly unreliable.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit