Adub83
Level 2: Rookie

Telstra Air not connecting

I use Telstra air at home and it goes through stages of working perfectly .. and then not connecting at all for a few weeks. Last week it was fine for the first time in ages and now it's not connecting again. It's not a telephone box but someone's modem in their home I'm guessing I'm connecting to. It's just frustrating as signal is strong etc. I have tried updating the app, restarting device (using Samsung phone and iPad - neither connect) I try to connect through both the app and settings, logging in and out. Not sure what else to try and why it's so temperamental? Is it something to do with the owner of the modem switching something off? I don't really understand how it works tbh. But like I said the signal is fine.. any help?? Thanks 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Telstra Air not connecting

Hi - there is a very long post regarding Telstra Air on whirlpool.net.au. One contributor who is a Telstra technician advises that Public Telstra Air Hotspots use Cisco Meraki Access Points - these are Enterprise quality units capable of providing multiple concurrent user access. In Home Hotspots, he says that the Telstra Modems only provide one user connection at any time, Telstra Air users are llimited to 2 Mbps bandwidth and the modem will not provide any link for Telstra Air clients to the Internet if overall modem bandwidth reduces to under 8 Mbps. The one user limit and if your neighbour is a long way from the local exchange and using ADSL, it may explain why you are sometimes unable to connect.

Are you able to connect to any other Telstra Air SSID near to your address?

Adub83

Thanks for reply. Not sure what SSID means but yes I connect to other Telstra air spots fine. 

Adub83

Thank you. Makes sense. Could be another telstra air user connecting as well as it's a block of units that the signal is coming from 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit