PaulSC
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Air

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 mobile and at home I am on the NBN network and with Telstra Air activated on my service.

Whenever I am outside my home but still within range of my WiFi modem, my mobile without my knowledge disconnects from my home WiFi and attempts to connect to Telstra Air (there are a couple of properties near me with Telstra air also activated).

It is not until I see that I have no WiFi service that I notice that the mobile is looking to connect to Telstra Air - to me this means that my mobile has been using the 4g service for internet communications, at my cost, instead of the home WiFi during the time that I was within range of my modem but possibly receiving a stronger signal from another modem. It never reconnects to my home WiFi when I re-enter my home.

Can you please advise how to overcome this problem.

Thanks, Paul

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Telstra Air

Have you tried going to WiFi settings long tapping on Telstra Air and FON SSIDs and selecting forget?

Jupiter

Also, the Telstra Air signal from your modem has the same range as your wifi network. So your phone is probably picking up one of your neighbours instead.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Peter5634

Telstra Air is the telco's Australia-wide network of wireless hotspots – there's over one million around the country. Telstra stores also double as hotspots, and Telstra broadband customers can choose to contribute to the network by turning their home modem into a hotspot.
PaulSC

I thought that if I did that, then I would not be able to connect to other FON sites when I travel. Is that not the case?
PaulSC

Thanks Peter, I do use Telstra Air at available locations when I travel away from my home if necessary and consider it a great service. For overseas use it's seems a bit problematic.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit