Betty36
Level 1: Cadet

Windows 10 Pro not connecting to 4GX Wifi plus

i have upgraded my computer to Windows 10 Pro edition, OS build: 19042.789

Windows feature experience pack 120.2212.551.0

I am unable to get my computer to pick up the wifi and connect to internet. My surface pro and printer connect fine to the wifi but computer doesn't.

Hoping you can provide some advice on how to fix this

Kind regards

Betty36

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Windows 10 Pro not connecting to 4GX Wifi plus

Which Wi-Fi network card do you have? is it new with the PC? built-in or an add-on unit (USB)?. Does Windows Device Manage see that Network device and does it show as correctly installed (no exclamation mark)?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Betty36

I am unsure what network card it has. It just has a sim card in the Telstra 4GX wifi plus dongle.

It is a new PC and when i plug in the usb from the dongle to the computer it says it is not recognizable and has malfunctioned. I have tried all the different usb ports on the new computer with no success. I have restarted the computer numerous times. I keeps trying to want to connect using an ethernet connection, which i don't use for this dongle. All the ports under the network adaptors appear to be installed fine- no ? beside any of them. In my network and internet connections window i have been clicking on the proxy tab on th eleft hand side to try to automatically detect the settings. I have put in the name of the dongle and I have also tried to add the address manually into the proxy setup.

SteveW_52

https://ztemobiles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/downloads/User_guides/MF910Z_Help_2.0.pdf

Instead of plugging the dongle into your computer, just plug it in to the charger that should have come with it,  or any available usb port on another device/charger etc. and let it boot up..

Now on your PC, try to connect to the new dongle wi-fi network, do you know how to do that? The dongle Wi-Fi information (SSID/Name and passcode) might be on a label inside or on screen..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Betty36

No, I am trying to locate the wifi on my computer through the proxy tab but i am having no luck

@SteveW_52 wrote:

https://ztemobiles.com.au/wp-content/uploads/downloads/User_guides/MF910Z_Help_2.0.pdf

Instead of plugging the dongle into your computer, just plug it in to the charger that should have come with it,  or any available usb port on another device/charger etc. and let it boot up..

Now on your PC, try to connect to the new dongle wi-fi network, do you know how to do that? The dongle Wi-Fi information (SSID/Name and passcode) might be on a label inside or on screen..

SteveW_52

In Device Manager - Network area, is one of the devices identified as Wi-Fi - note down the name of that device..  if there is nothing there, then you might not have a Wi-Fi device (highly suspicious that this is the case)..  that would tie in with being prompted to connect a cable when you try to find the internet..  you can buy USB type Wi-Fi adaptors which should just plug in and start working

Don't use the Proxy Settings to do the search for the Wi-Fi  instead in Windows 10, go to settings, then go to  Network & Internet, then click on W-Fi..

Click on "Show Available networks -you should be able see the dongles wi-fi network (you might have to turn the modem off/on to identify the network name if you don't already have it from the label/manual..  if you click on that in the list, you will be prompted to connect - follow that process. Once found, the network will be retained..

Fingers crossed you will have more success this way...

Stevo 52
Betty36

Hi Stevo,

Thank you for your continued support.

When I go to show available networks, no networks come up- it is blank

@SteveW_52 wrote:

In Device Manager - Network area, is one of the devices identified as Wi-Fi - note down the name of that device..

Don't use the Proxy Settings to do the search for the Wi-Fi

In Windows 10, go to settings, then go to  Network & Internet, then click on W-Fi..

Click on "Show Available networks -you should be able see the dongles wi-fi network (you might have to turn the modem off/on to identify the network name if you don't already have it from the label/manual..  if you click on that in the list, you will be prompted to connect - follow that process. Once found, the network will be retained..

Fingers crossed you will have more success this way...

SteveW_52

Then, your PC does not have a Wi-Fi adapter and that is why you can't connect..  Smiley Happy

You can get one at JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman or the like..

Try fo one that does 2.4 AND 5G Wi-Fi, something AC1200 or higher. Rule of thumb is you get what you pay for with these devices, so don't go for the cheapest one...

Stevo 52
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - just checking, is your PC a Desktop or laptop and does your PC Ethernet LAN socket have a cable connected to it - what is the Icon showing on the RHS of the System Tray at the bottom of the screen - is it a PC Monitor or a Globe. Remove the cable if it is connected. 

A handy routine for checking on connectivity issues that arise in future is to use the inbuilt Windows Command Prompt App. In the bottom left Search entry, type CMD - select the Run as Administrator. When the black screen comes up, type the following command after the flashing white square   ipconfig/all and enter. 

The display will show you all IP addressing used by your Ethernet Adapter for its network connection and the PC's WiFi Adapter chip model and credentials if it exists and if it is in a Disconnected state. If you have a laptop, some models have a Wi-Fi ON/OFF button on the keyboard, so if you have previously had it working, it may have failed due to a fault or turned OFF.  

Another way of checking what is connected is to go to Windows Settings / Network & Internet / Ethernet / Change Adapter Options - you will see the current state of the Ethernet Adapter and Wi-Fi Adapter if it exits. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit