CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Need help installing a phone line

So last month, I moved into a new granny flat at the back of a property and tried to get a phone line. I've had a technician out here who installed a port in the pit but couldn't connect from there to the boundary where the owner has dug the trench to our flat. I called Telstra who put the order on hold because they need the developers contact info/AFR number. I have contacted our real estate agent who spoke to the owner and they said that we don't need an AFR and there is already a second black telstra cable and we just need a line activation. What should I do? Wouldn't the technician who came out to install the port have seen a second telstra cable? Should I keep chasing for the AFR?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: Need help installing a phone line

Generally, the Network Boundary is the first socket inside the house (in this case the main property not yours) and from that point, you would likely run the cable from the granny flat to that network boundary and then get the line activated using the house address.
It really gets messy (when its not done the correct way of course) to add a phone/internet to a second dwelling on the same property because Telstra technically classifies it as one property.
I'd ask why are you connecting a phone line anyway? What about mobile? and even mobile internet and a voip phone which does away with the old technology?
Highlighted

The trench and cable up to the boundary is done. Just need that connected to the street but Telstra won't do the work with the AFR#.
My reception with my mobile 4G is horrible in the house so I can't rely on that. What are the other methods?
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Sounds like it difficult, and what makes it challenging is that it's not really your problem as its an owners issue not yours.
I'd check out other providers. I know some other (optus) have great 4G plans but also have network guarantee so if it doesn't work you can take it back.
I currently run completely of 4G with a 9db antenna and voip. I ditched a fixed line about a yr ago no issues.
Highlighted

It has proved very difficult so far. I don't even want a phone, I just want the line in so I can get ADSL2 Smiley Sad

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit