buzzbuzzen
Level 9: Captain

Telstra Flip 3 Service NSW Covid App

Hello , how do I download and install the Service NSW Covid app on this phone ?

I downloaded an apk file from Play Store but I can not open it to install to homescreen.

Thanks for any help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Telstra Flip 3 Service NSW Covid App

I don't believe it is possible, apk's need to be sideloaded and the flip 3 OS doen't allow for that..

Also, the flip 3 OS doesn't appear to be android based,,,

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
buzzbuzzen

Thank you for your reply. I only just bought it from Telstra, looks like it gets sent right back !

SteveW_52

Yep, I updated my father in law from a Flip 3 to an older Pixel, just so he can run the app (Qld version)..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Whilst the OS of the Flip 3 is Android based, it is a proprietary ZTE OS and doesn't allow for applications to be loaded (mainly due to the lack of storage on the device).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Same result though? It is a very basic OS so if it is Android base it is not very android like..  

Stevo 52
Jupiter

Same result, yes.

The OS for the Flip 3 is the Android Core with a UI overlay. Most device management functions have been disabled as it is a "basic" phone, not intended (or capable of hardware wise) of any "smartphone" functionality.

It is not a suitable phone for a COVID/post-COVID world. Restrictions will be ongoing for a long time yet, so basic smartphone functionality will be required for any handset that people buy. It's just going to be impractical for people if they can't access the State Government apps and Medicare (for their vaccination certificate/status).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

The failing in wanting everyone to use smart phones like that, is that there are many people for whom a smartphone just doesn't work - diabilities, trembling hands, difficulty with touch based operations, eyesight etc..  lots of people ask me how they can get a simple, large button, easy to use handset doesn't need updating every second day..  because that is all they really needed - until the covid apps and the reliance on smartphones for basic interactions with government agencies came about..  taking photos and scanning barcodes is not something older people can all manage..  my FIL signs in manually for the QR situation.  but interaction with govt requires a care person to visit and do it for him  (we only ever find out after the event because he is fiercly independent even at 94...

Stevo 52
Jupiter

That's largely a fallacy. Smartphones have the advantage in that they can be voice operated as well as providing audio feedback to the user. It just requires someone to teach people how to use them best for the individual's situation.

I have acquaintances who are either hearing impaired or blind who use smartphones very successfully. I know one guy from basketball who has lost a hand and he holds the phone with his hand and uses voice commands. I even know quadriplegics who rely greatly on their smartphones. They just need to be set up initially for them.

For scanning QR codes (in Victoria), you only ever have to enter your information once and it autofills, so you just have to press the orange button. My mother-in-law finds it very easy and she has hand control issues as well.

The medicare app is nowhere near as friendly and requires a bit of training for users. It could be improved for accessibility.

SteveW_52

Sorry @Jupiter I'll have to agree to disagree there based on my own experience..

Stevo 52
buzzbuzzen

Interesting discussion ! I think Telstra should place a disclaimer on their shop page to make us fumble fingered old fossils realise what covid shortcomings these type of phones have. A friend bought the Nokia 2720 and ran into the same Kaos ! operating system issues. I bought one so it would fit easily into my pockets. Cheers, Buzz.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit