CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Unlocking an ALCATEL 1 model 5033T (badged as TELSTRA Essential Plus) mobile phone

I have requested TELSTRA on the 18th March to unlock my prepaid mobile but they are stalling & to date I still can't use my phone on my new selected provider "BELONG"... As requested by Billing I paid the unlocking FEE (FINE, 18th March) at my "not so" local TELSTRA shop & supplied the receipt # to Billing,,, I was told by Billing it would take up to 72 hours to complete!!! I have been waiting for 17 days so far and the only excuses I get are "Our overseas office is suffering from the COVID-19 & staff is short" or the other excuse "ALCATEL Can't or Won't give us the codes to unlock the phone", both excuses that I find extremely difficult to believe, Given that an unlocking code is just like a safe combination, just a bunch of numbers that has to be entered by me when supplied by TELSTRA, no real big exercise... Telstra has lost a 23 year mobile customer because they jerked me around, now they are about to lose an  Internet customer for the same reason, JUST FED UP WITH INEFFICIENT SERVICE, Especially to a 77yo Pensioner living alone!!!     Can CROWD SUPPORT help me??? JohnC

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Unlocking an ALCATEL 1 model 5033T (badged as TELSTRA Essential Plus) mobile phone

No. Crowdsupport can't help you. The overseas teams are in enforced lockdown, so it will be difficult to get it done.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Re: Unlocking an ALCATEL 1 model 5033T (badged as TELSTRA Essential Plus) mobile phone

@Jupiter wrote:

No. Crowdsupport can't help you. The overseas teams are in enforced lockdown, so it will be difficult to get it done.

They weren't on lockdown when I spoke to them (125887) last Monday & they told me all the excuses plus that I mentioned in my post, way past the 72 hours stated by billing to do the job!!!

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I wish I read this before I got an Alcatel x cos my phone is  broken so I thought i should get

a new one as I have four boys

Need it for many reasons like health and Family and I have a belong Sim and I can't unlock either, also my friend has the same problem and needs it for work. Why can't Telstra make an app or something so we can unlock our phones. If Telstra had a $10 monthly Sim with unlimited calls and messages I would have stayed with them

Highlighted

@Roo8 wrote:

I wish I read this before I got an Alcatel x cos my phone is  broken so I thought i should get

a new one as I have four boys

Need it for many reasons like health and Family and I have a belong Sim and I can't unlock either, also my friend has the same problem and needs it for work. Why can't Telstra make an app or something so we can unlock our phones. If Telstra had a $10 monthly Sim with unlimited calls and messages I would have stayed with them

I finally got my unlocking code on Tuesday 14th April, a total of 27 days from go to whoa... All I can suggest to you Roo8 is keep pestering them like I did & make a formal complaint to Telstra channels and repeat the complaint 5 or 6 days later, also make a submission to the TIO (Telecommunications Ombudsman) to get it on the record... Telstra doesn't like being reported... I also phoned my local federal members office and lodged a complaint with them, it all helps to make them uncomfortable,,, The number to call for the Telstra unlocking section is 125887... Once I received the unlocking code, a 16 digit number, it took exactly 2 minutes to unlock my ALCATEL 1 phone, but it took 27 days of incompetence to get it!!!!!!!  

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Wow didn't take them long 🤪 well It  wont let me call that number from my belong service 🤣 but thanx I wonder if I rang the Launceston shop if they can do it over the phone cos I've tried ringing Telstra and they won't answer 🤔

Highlighted

@Roo8 wrote:

Wow didn't take them long 🤪 well It  wont let me call that number from my belong service 🤣 but thanx I wonder if I rang the Launceston shop if they can do it over the phone cos I've tried ringing Telstra and they won't answer 🤔

Hi Roo8, Ringing the Telstra shop won't do you any good as they can't access the unlock codes from there shops etc. If you read my initial post you will see that I went to my "not so local" Telstra shop to pay the unlocking fee (FINE), but then had to contact billing with the receipt # to get them to initiate the unlocking process... The rest is history you already know... When you ring the Telstra fault # 132200 and the "Voice" asks you for a reason for your enquiry just say "UNLOCKING code" that should get you to the same place as the 125887 # would... Good luck, but don't hold you breath, and don't forget to do all the complaint methods I mentioned before, it helps relieve the frustration Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit