joybelle
Level 2: Rookie

Swap from Broadband protect to device protection service

I need help to figure what this is exactly. I currently have Broadband protect included in my foxtel bundle. Is this just a way to charge me another $10 per month as it will not be included in my bundle anymore as BBProtect was?? How do I get to talk to a person?? I am fairly old and not techo minded, but I need to speak to someone about this offer and my account. I already got charged an extra $10 per month a year ago for the services I already had. Now another $10 per month? I am a pensioner.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Swap from Broadband protect to device protection service

I can't find any reference to a "Device Protection Service". Where did this offer come from?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

It's OK. I've figured out what it is. It's Telstra Cybersecurity (Trend Micro Device Protect).

It is an optional subscription service that provides virus/malware protection, firewall, etc for your computer and mobile devices.

You probably don't need it unless you do internet banking, shopping etc on your computer.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - did you get a letter from Telstra advising you that your existing Telstra Broadband Protect Anti-Virus and Malware Software service would cease on 31st March 2021 and be replaced with a new service suite called Device Protect. This would require uninstalling the old suite and then downloading the new protection software being provided by the Trend Micro Suite. I don't think you you would be charged an additional $10 a month as the existing software is being replaced with a new one and you are a registered subscription customer of the existing optional software package. 

This post covers the same topic and provides information about removal of the existing software. It is not clear as to how transition is to occur i.e. if uninstalling the existing suite and downloading the new suite simply continues the existing monthly $10 billing process. Hopefully the case. 

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/telstra-broadband-protect/telstra-broadband-connect-being-can... 

cf4

@Mkrtich 

The original malware protection was included free of charge with NBN broadband services and could be installed on up to five devices. The Device protection service costs $10 per month. This is another example of Telstra cutting cost. It should not effect many customers. Most customers did not know the software was available and others like me never used it. I am quiet happy using Windows defender. Windows defender has improved over the years and there is I see no need for third party anti virus programs or firewalls.

@joybelle 

You don't really need the software. Your main defense against cyber attack is yourself. Don't click on any suspicious links especially in unsolicited emails. Don't click okay on any dialogue asking you if you wish to install this program, extension or app if you didn't initiate the installation yourself.

Mkrtich

Thanks - I didn't realise if was a free package previously.

I know that Telstra provide protection at the Network level  as part of our monthly subscription charges against Spam and other identified possible threats. When I researched it early last year it was called Telstra Broadband Protect Anti-Virus Plus Security by Wontok with a licence for six PCs and I recall seeing a $9.95 per month charge in a comment on another forum - maybe I was looking at an out of date web screen at the time and this morning I had assumed joybelle was paying $10 for the existing Anti-Virus Plus Security protection service. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit