doktorg
Level 1: Cadet

Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

Answered

I have a website www.hi-shine.com.au that my client can't access because he has Telstra Broadband Protect and when he visits it he gets the message:

Network Protection

Malicious Content

We've blocked a website that may contain malicious content. The site you've been blocked from vvisiting may contain viruses, trojans or spyware that can be harmful to you devices.

I've checekd the domain blakclists and my site it not blacklisted.

Can my site be removed from your blacklist.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra Broadband Protect blocking my website

ComDis,

Last week, our security partners did another Investigation of your site which indicated that most of infected files previously found there were removed, aside from one remaining issue. That final issue appears to have been removed over the weekend, and the site has now been marked as clean.

We recommend that you continue to monitor the content your site is serving to prevent future blocking of your site.

I continue to recommend you look at resolving the  certificate issue which suggests your site may be the victim of a man-in-the-middle attack where someone else is pretending to be you.

Doing that could help resolve some of the issues that other site checkers are seeing, causing them to mark your site as insecure.

Formerly of Telstra

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
92 REPLIES 92
ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented

@doktorg, your site seems to have a problem... Not having time to analyse fully right now, but have a look at:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/fff83264c8180679c77b7b8657e1fe865cb6e509d7d5ff16a2795fbd43e430a8/a...

and

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.hi-shine.com.au

and

https://www.google.com/transparencyreport/safebrowsing/diagnostic/#url=http://www.hi-shine.com.au/

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

While we do have a process for escalating to our partners any requests like this, please be clear that it will only be removed from the block list if our partners who supply the security intelligence are satisfied that the site is not a risk to our customers.
In the case of this site, multiple security providers (as well as our own) are flagging it as malicious or a source of phishing. I suggest you contact your hosting team and clear any risks from the site and we can check again.
Formerly of Telstra
drg57

Hi, I'm the user that reported this but for some reason it has asked me to reneter a username... 

Anyways I have cleaned the site and re-submitted site to google as safe. Are you able to check from your providers it's safe now?

Thanks.

doktorg

sorry foudn i did have 2 accounts. can you reply to this one. Thanks.

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'll add it to the review list, if it's accepted as safe, it'll be removed from the malicious website list (assuming it hasn't been already)
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis
Level 4: Private Eye

I have a similar situation for my website www.comfortdiscovered.com.au  We had a problem about four months ago which was immediately fixed. Our site has been clean since and is constantly protected by SUCCURI fire wall. We are not listed in any black list. Can my site be delisted? Where should I submit the request? I have a lot of testra customers unable to access my site? I also have problems sending email to telstra customers.

ComDis

Hi, Gavincostelo,

I have a similar situation for my website www.comfortdiscovered.com.au  We had a malware attack on our website about four months ago which was immediately fixed, site was cleaned. Our site has been clean since and is constantly protected by SUCCURI fire wall. Currently we are not listed in any black list. However we notice that Telstra Broadband Protect is blocking my website and it is also treating the ip address as not trustworthy and blcoking the emails. Can my site be delisted? Where should I submit the request? I have a lot of testra customers unable to access my site? Any help would be much appreciated,.

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I've sent to our partners for investigation. It's possible that they simply haven't reviewed your website since it initially appeared on the block lists. I note that while most filters now accept it as safe, at least one other list is still classifying it as malicious
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Thanks gavincostello. Could u pl give me the name of the site so that i can sumit a request to delist? Thanks in advance.
gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I've already sent the request. If, after confirming the safety of the site, our security partners accept the change, the site should be accessible within the next 48 hours
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Thanks Gavincostello. I really appreciate the help!!
gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

For those of you following along with this thread, our block pages have a "report as safe" link on the page. This allows people to request a check to see if the page is still malicious. Unfortunately that link isn't working at present. Will advise when it is fixed. In the interim, you can reach out to me directly via Private Message and I can escalate
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Hi Gavincostello, Thanks for all the help. The probem is persisting. The link  "report as safe" is yet not fixed. I would very much appreciate if you can provide me the url where i can submit a request for delist my ip. As I mentioned earlier I have firewall "sucuri" on my website and it is being monitored constantly. Thanks in advance. 

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Report as Safe is now working as expected. Please use that to request a review. You should note that at least one other security source is still calling your site Malicious. I suggest you contact your hosting provider and discuss your options with them while we review
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Hi Gavincostello, Thanks for the reply. Is there a way in which I can escalate this issue in a formal manner? My site is secure and is constantly monitored by "securi". Yet telstra continues to block it and even blocks the emails with the ip address. Its been a long 9 months with absolutely no progress.

I take this opportunity to vent my frustration with Telstra. Majority of my customers are Telstra Customers, who are home bound, elderly or with people with disabilities. Due to the incompetence of Telstra they are denied access to sites for no fault of the websites or the users. If telstra can not find a system to delist websites from their "suspicious list" its doing a disservice to its customers. On a daily basis I get at least half a dozen calls from frustrated customers who are unable to access our sites. I can not comprehend how a service provider like telstra can depend on a third party service that is so very obsolete!!!

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

This sounds like you have a bigger issue with your site, rather than one specifically related to Broadband protect - especially if you're referring to email issues as well. I note that Safari and Firefox is flagging issues with the certificates on your site which may be contributing. If you send me a private message, I can get in touch with you directly so that we can look at it in more detail and see if we can get to the bottom of it.
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Thanks Gavincostello for the quick reply.  I hv sent u a pm.

ComDis

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Com Dis

As a reminder; Telstra don't set the blacklists used by Telstra Broadband Protect - data is sourced by our Security Partners. That data is used by multiple other service providers globally.

If your site is still being flagged as malicious following our request to reassess, then they're simply confirming that either your site or something at that address is serving malware. As before, I suggest you consult and address with your hosting provider.

I can also confirm that as of today. your site is still being flagged as serving malware by multiple other services - not just ours. See attached example from another source

comfort discovered.PNG

Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Thanks Gavincostello. As i have mentioned several times over earlier, my effort to find a malware on my site has not seen any success. If telstra is willing to help me, the best way is to specify the type of problem and in which file it was found, or give me the name of the third party who is doing this for telstra, so that I can request their assistance directly providing scan reports by various globally reputed providers. If they did find something which hitherto was not detected by anyone, it will help not only my website, it will help several other users globally. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ComDis, 

If your site is clear of malware then it could be the server your site is hosted on. I would suggest that you speak with your hosting provider and ask them to move your site to a different server. If that is not possible then you may need to think about moving to a new hosting company.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

ComDis

Thanks Kenobi. I will do discuss with the host server and try that. I really appreciate the prompt reply. Thanks.

snowbie

Hi Gavin,

I tried to PM you but my account says I don't have the privileges.

I am also getting customers reporting that Telstra Broadband Protect is reporting my website as malicious, however all checks indicate it is safe. Website is:

https://nappyhiders.com.au/

Checks:

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=https:%2F%2Fnappyhiders.com.au%2F

https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www.nappyhiders.com.au

https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/b117d86cafafacd497db166ece48fac5fb4921f52e76ae5e0253f22785bb3e50/de...

https://www.whynopadlock.com/index.html

Are you able to get my website added to the review list and advise why it was blocked? Thanks

pmcguane

Hi, 

Our site seems to be getting blocked by Telstra, but all the scans we have done shows its safe, and we have a current SSL. Can this site please be reevaluated https://www.kiddosfashion.com.au/

Thanks

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the reports. We're currently looking into why a number of shopping sites are being blocked. Please standby for an update.
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Hi Kenobi,

The scan has completed but hasn't found any evidence of compromise, it's come up clean for all sites and the VPS itself. I did find that the IP of the VPS was listed on two spam blacklists, both of these have now been removed. Can you pl recheck and advise?

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ComDis,

I have requested a recheck on www.comfortdiscovered.com.au for you.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ComDis

Thanks AlistairQWA!!

gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just to note your site is still appearing on two public lists as Malicious https://www.virustotal.com/#/url/8da47599be8f4dcb53bd2163710ba19ce17fedf4da9bceefb42c1e15b00272ed/de...
Formerly of Telstra
gavincostello
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

After a review we've unblocked a number of sites being hosted by popular Online Shopping services.
Please note that if your site continues to share hosting with compromised sites, your site may be blocked again.
As always we recommend you talk to your hosting provider so that you're confident they are taking ongoing measures to reduce the number of compromised sites that they host.
Formerly of Telstra
ComDis

Hi AlistairQWA,

Have you got any update on www.comfortdiscovered.com.au?

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No update as yet. Will let you know when I get the confirmation.

- AlistairQWA

NinaK

HI my website portraitsbyninak has been blocked I am getting this message

Malicious Content

We've blocked a website that may contain Malicious Content. The site you've been blocked from visiting may contain viruses, trojans or spyware that can be harmful to your devices.

When I click report this website is safe it does not work.

I have spoken with my hosting site and no malware issues have been detected.

I can view my website on my phone which is with Telstra.  However as soon as I go wifi the problem occurs.

How do I report that my site is safe.

ComDis

Hi AlistairQWA,

we have changed the server and hv a new ip address. I would appreciate any update on this. thanks in advance.

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi NinaK

I will put the request in for portraitsbyninak.com to be checked as you are not able to submit the report online.

- AlistairQWA

NinaK

Thank you.

NinaK

Hi I have fixed the problem.  The modem pppoe was set up for the previous owners and did not have our login and password so as soon as that was changed I was able to see my website. 

AlistairQWA
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi NinaK

Glad to hear that you have found the issue.

- AlistairQWA

KMDuffy
Level 2: Rookie

I'm unable to access my website www.howtomarketing.com.au via Telstra Broadband. The warning says the site has malicious content but the site has been cleared as safe by Norton and via Sucuri SiteCheck and doesn't appear on any blacklists. Can you please unblock access to my site as it is affecting my clients. I would have used the Report Site as Safe link but it isn't working. Thanks

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi KMDuffy, 

I've run  your website through the blacklist checking tool on the mxtoolbox website and it indicates that it's still blacklisted with SURBL multi.

KMDuffy
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that blacklist since all of the major security providers have cleared my site. I have submitted a request to them as well, but since I'm a Telstra customer I would expect that Telstra would undertake it's own screening of my site because I can assure you it is clean and I can't spend days after days logging and waiting for numerous requests with separate entities.

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you're still being blocked after having your site removed from the other blacklists you may need to contact your web host to check for anything that may be compromising your website and having it blacklisted.

It could be possible that your domain itself is clean but is being hosted on a server with a bad reputation, which would end up in having your domain blacklisted again. If this is the case I would suggest that you ask the web host to move your site to a different server. If that is not possible then they may need to think about moving to a new hosting company.

ComDis

Hi AlistairQWA,

Have you been able to recheck the site www.comfortdiscovered.com.au? We have changed the server etc. Kindly resubmit the site and do a check asap. with b wishes

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ComDis, 

We're requested an update on the recheck. 

ComDis

Thanks Kenobi. I am sure you hv a telstra connection. Can you pl try to access our site now, while we hear from your team? I am asking for a quick favor, hoping that these changes have made some impact...

Kenobi
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I've used our test bench ADSL connection and can access your website.

ComDis

Thanks Kenobi

ComDis

Hi Kenobi, I hv just checked using a telstra broadband domestic connection. The site is being blocked by telstra   

https://www.telstra.com.au/apps/telstrabroadbandprotect/networkprotectionstandard?

ComDis

Hi Gavinconstello, Can u pl name at least one sites / third party vendor that lists our site as containing malware now? There were a couple who had listed us a few months back and we got them delisted, the last being Kasperky. We have run through several and not one of them has listed us currently. Since our last communication we have changed the host server, run several scans, got succuri installed.....just to list a few. I have tried to explain my frustration. Telstra has to do at least two things, identify the problem or name the third party provider who is listing our site. If Telstra can not do that they can not continue to block the site. If you are not able to help pl direct me to the dept or person who can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit