Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Access to new IMAP telsta mail from gmail

Answered

Hi - got the message this morning about the migration of one of my email accounts to IMAP has happened.  Was able to access OK via web mail so assumed that all migrated OK.  I have gmail setup to access that account when it was POP3 so tried to change the settings to the new settings but get error message - Server returned error: "Missing +OK response upon connecting to the server: * OK IMAP server ready."

I also note that I still appear to be getting emails for that account via POP3 - have I actually migrated?

Dave

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Access to new IMAP telsta mail from gmail

Thanks Fleming - on reading the google help it would appear that Gmail only supports POP3 so thank you very much for your suggestion - pity that Telstra did not provide that info as I would think that a lot of users would fall into this category - maybe Telstra just wants to push thier own webmail service?

Just tried your suggestion and found that I needed to use port 995 rather than 993 but it worked fine.

Much appreciate your help - always impressed by the number of people who give their assiatance freely on these forums.

Dave

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Further to my question about how long the bigpond system will keep sending messages to the new system...just stopped working overnight so chnaged settings to the new smtp.telstra.com and all OK.  Note that the FAQ now also has the POP setup so thanks Telstra

Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey owise1,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you have experienced with this email service since the change over was completed and do apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused Smiley Sad You are able to check what  platform your email account is on via the steps located at:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/other/how-to-identify-what-platform-your-email-is-...

Once this has been confirmed then you are able to access the FAQ's for the Telstra Mail service at:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/telstra-mail

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Thanks DingoDan - login via browser shows that I am on the new system. 

I did a few checks - turned off the delete retrieved messages option in Gmail settings (currently POP3 and mail.bigpond.com server) - and sent myself an email.  It showed up both in Gmail and in webmail.  I also have a security camera that sends emails via mail.bigpond.com and it is still working OK.  

Is Telstra copying / duplicating emails between the two systems and if so when will this be turned off?

Highlighted
Telstra Products & Services Team
Telstra Products & Services Team

Once you have been migrated, mail.bigpond.com will forward requests to the new platform.

So no data is stored in the old.

For your initial issue, you may wish to try using POP in gmail.

The new platform does still support pop, just make sure you use the pop address:

pop.telstra.com

Also make sure you select SSL.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Thanks Fleming - on reading the google help it would appear that Gmail only supports POP3 so thank you very much for your suggestion - pity that Telstra did not provide that info as I would think that a lot of users would fall into this category - maybe Telstra just wants to push thier own webmail service?

Just tried your suggestion and found that I needed to use port 995 rather than 993 but it worked fine.

Much appreciate your help - always impressed by the number of people who give their assiatance freely on these forums.

Dave

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Further to my question about how long the bigpond system will keep sending messages to the new system...just stopped working overnight so chnaged settings to the new smtp.telstra.com and all OK.  Note that the FAQ now also has the POP setup so thanks Telstra

Dave

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update owise1. Glad it's working.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit